Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 37 60.7%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • DL

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's far too early to discuss at this point - but I'd think/hope that Beane would continue to be responsible & not put himself into another cap hole that he'd then later have to dig himself out of.
The reset this season wasn't just about the cap. It was also about a bunch of vets aging out or injuries affecting the team's ability to count on them moving forward.

There will likely be at least one more roster reset due to aging during Allen's run as QB1.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
For every fan that says he shouldn't have gotten us into this cap hole, there are probably two that say he didn't do enough to get us over the top during Allen's window (like the Rams did). I'm somewhere in between.

- I like the Von Miller risk.
- I like restructuring contracts and kicking the can down the road to add that "one missing piece".
- I like trading picks to add a difference maker at the trade deadline.

Beane has not gone "full Rams" and tied up our cap while ALSO depleting our picks. He's done a great job of working around the salary cap and keeping picks to fill holes with cheap contracts and potential replacements to the expensive starters. Even in this "cap hole" season we find ourselves in we have a talented, younger and deeper roster. With June 1 still to come, I think only WR and DE (maybe CB or LG/C), is worse than it was last season.

When the next offseason comes around and we've reset our cap situation, I'm all for them adding the next Von Miller and Diggs level players to give us the best shot of winning and I don't care that our cap could need resetting again in a few years.

I'd rather have consistent chances at winning the Super Bowl rather than risking it all for "One Chance", but I'm not going to play it safe and potentially never get the ring we so desperately want.
100% agreed. If anything, this past season + offseason only reinforces my opinion to take risks on high profile players if they're at a premium position.

I mean- Von's situation turned out as bad as possible. ACL tear wiping out most of his season, then looking like a shell of his former self the following season, and yet- we were still a top tier contender heading into the playoffs last year.

Also, this is the offseason I was supposed to dread since we have to pay the piper? We'll have to see how they peform, but I'm not dreading anything. Looking at the roster, Im as optimistic as I am every offseason...we'll likely be a contender again.

So, yeah, put me in the camp of- take chances while we have our elite QB. The risk is...we may be slightly worse on paper during the 'pay the piper' seasons while also having a relatively good chance of being a contender. The reward is increasing the odds of winning the SB. Easy choice for me while we have a QB capable of taking us to the promiseland. Pump those odds up.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
For every fan that says he shouldn't have gotten us into this cap hole, there are probably two that say he didn't do enough to get us over the top during Allen's window (like the Rams did). I'm somewhere in between.

- I like the Von Miller risk.
- I like restructuring contracts and kicking the can down the road to add that "one missing piece".
- I like trading picks to add a difference maker at the trade deadline.

Beane has not gone "full Rams" and tied up our cap while ALSO depleting our picks. He's done a great job of working around the salary cap and keeping picks to fill holes with cheap contracts and potential replacements to the expensive starters. Even in this "cap hole" season we find ourselves in we have a talented, younger and deeper roster. With June 1 still to come, I think only WR and DE (maybe CB or LG/C), is worse than it was last season.

When the next offseason comes around and we've reset our cap situation, I'm all for them adding the next Von Miller and Diggs level players to give us the best shot of winning and I don't care that our cap could need resetting again in a few years.

I'd rather have consistent chances at winning the Super Bowl rather than risking it all for "One Chance", but I'm not going to play it safe and potentially never get the ring we so desperately want.
As i said in my OP - it's far too soon to debate this.

But suffice to say i completely disagree with you. The only player that's putting them over the top is Allen. Not a Diggs nor a Von Miller.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

I would love week 1 to be Miami coming here with their fans spending months talking shit about how the Bills window is closed, their offense is gonna be unstoppable, this is finally their year to win the division (after making the same proclamation during each of the previous 3 offseasons), etc., only for the Bills to blow them out again.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I would love week 1 to be Miami coming here with their fans spending months talking shit about how the Bills window is closed, their offense is gonna be unstoppable, this is finally their year to win the division (after making the same proclamation during each of the previous 3 offseasons), etc., only for the Bills to blow them out again.
I get the sentiment, but I feel as if this team (especially the offense with new WRs) is going to take a few weeks to really gel.

I'd like to put off AFC East opponents as long as possible.

Reactions: kirby11

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
It's far too early to discuss at this point - but I'd think/hope that Beane would continue to be responsible & not put himself into another cap hole that he'd then later have to dig himself out of.
I think Beane is going to use most of his picks next season as well. We thought he might do a lot of trading up to move picks, as it seemed as there won't be roster spots for all the rookies. Well, he used almost all his picks and didn't trade up.

I think 2025 will be the same. I think he's going to use most of the picks instead of a quality vs quantity approach. Beane will have 37 roster players plus the 10 2024 rookies for 2025. Some of the players under contract aren't active type players, as least yet (Jarvis, Shavers, Thompson, Gouraige, Ingram, Cline). So I think Beane is going to stay and pick and fill out the roster.

That'll reset the roster completely, assuming rookies work out. Then I think we'll see Beane go after bigger fish in 2026. I think we'll see complete under the radar signings in 2025.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I get the sentiment, but I feel as if this team (especially the offense with new WRs) is going to take a few weeks to really gel.

I'm glad I'm off X. The one Miami fan I know on my unit has been humbled enough not to talk smack. He also knows Tua is an extremely limited QB. I don't fear their acquisitions on offense. If pressure gets to Tua, he folds. Armstead better age like fine wine. That's what matters to me, and I'm not sold on Brewer bringing what Connor Williams brought to that line.

On top of that, their D line took some losses this offseason, and if they're not pressuring Allen, then they'll get worked. I think there's a chance they're quite a bit worse. So much depends on how that O line gels.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
As i said in my OP - it's far too soon to debate this.

But suffice to say i completely disagree with you. The only player that's putting them over the top is Allen. Not a Diggs nor a Von Miller.
KC beat us in the playoffs this year because of Chris Jones, not Patrick Mahomes.

The Giants beat Tom Brady and the Patriots, not because of Eli Manning, but because they could get pressure while only rushing 4.

I think about the years before Miller and the years with a broken Miller and wonder, what could have been if we had that difference maker on the defensive line.

I'm all for Smart management and keeping the team competitive year in and year out, but the only risk you CAN'T take is letting Allen's career in Buffalo end without a ring because you never "went for it all". And, I'm not even advocating for a complete abandonment of the future, but pushing the boundaries is necessary.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021

My only want is for the Bills to play in Miami late in the year, and in Buffalo early. Avoid the whole weather influence thing, so we can just watch football which is kinda the whole point.

Claypool is on double-secret probation.

Reactions: kirby11

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Yup. DUI hit and run, IIRC. Chiefs seem to love having dirtbags for receivers.
I don't think his previous issues had to do with DUI (at least he was never charged with it). Just going 120 mph on the freeway, driving "aggressively" and causing a multi-car pileup. As Dubi Doo said, it was believed he was racing with a former SMU teammate. His charges all had to do with aggravated assault and collision causing various levels of injury.

Kid from SMU was suspended from school, but I doubt KC cares enough to punish Rice, even for a 2nd incident in the same offseason.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Looks like Smoot's cap hit is 1.468 million, per OTC. He pushes Isabella out of the top 51 / Kingsley out of the T53, so adds about half a million to the cap. The other two are below the T53, so don't add anything.

So all 3 moves collectively added only half a million to the cap.
I'm just stat watching, but Smoot seems like a pretty big upgrade on those guys.

always look forward to these, no one blinks an eye when KC picks Worthy btw

seems like there trying to trade up in the 2nd, any guesses for who or just to guarantee Bishop ?
I for one applaud Beane not being afraid of trading with KC. Belichick said the same thing. The media hot takes made me roll my eyes.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
always look forward to these, no one blinks an eye when KC picks Worthy btw

seems like there trying to trade up in the 2nd, any guesses for who or just to guarantee Bishop ?
Well Beane said Bishop was the last 2nd round grade on their board, and the room was authentically happy to get him.

I do get a weird vibe from the video though. Nobody mentions Coleman until after they traded from 32 to 33. I'd be willing to bet they had Legette higher on their board. Maybe even Pearsall too. But they clearly weren't interested in Worthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad