Line Combos: Playoff Lines

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I just don't think Nylander is best suited at center, or they would have tried him there for more than part of a game, especially where this is what, his 7th or 8th year in the league.
As for the other lines. I would go with:
Domi-Matthews-Bertuzzi
McMann/Knies-Tavares-Nylander/Marner
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves/Gregor (I just don't think Robertson is best suited for 4th line duty, he needs to play higher up, and I'm not overly fond of Gregor but Reaves can't play every game)
His first two seasons they had Matthews, Kadri, and Bozak. Then they added Tavares. Whether you agree with getting him or not, he was going to be the 2C for at least as long as Dubas was here.

You're either playing Willy at 3C or on the wing, and with the lack of depth the choice was easy.

Now that JT looks more like a 3C himself, I'd like to see them try Willy at his natural position.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Like i always say it will come down to D and G .. if we can play a tight game of MAJOR mistake free defense and clear da net area so Sammy can see pucks .. we will win

Starting G Sammy ..

Woll backup

Starting D
Rielly Boosh
McCabe Benoit
Brodie Edmundson

Lily and Gio and Timmer as backups

If Brodie screws up bad game 1 then insert in Lily for him
not gonna happen

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Lines look good, except that I don't like JT and Willy together.

Willy always played centre except with the Leafs. Considering we had Matty as 1C, and were paying $11M for JT to be our 2C, they had to either play him at 3C or on the wing, and with no depth it was an easy call.

With more depth on the wings and JT looking more and more like a 3C, it might be time to try Willy at his natural position next year.
Yes, I agree, maybe next season try him at center.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Bert - Matthews - Domi
Knies - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Holmberg - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves
Jarnkrok can come back on the 4th line when healthy

Rielly - McCabe
Ed - Lily
Benoit - ?

Samsonov
Woll

Realistically, I expect Marner to be on the top line and Domi on the 3rd

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Jarnkrok-Kampf-Nylander
Knies-Dewar-Reaves

Rielly-Lyubushkin
Benoit-McCabe
Edmundson-Liljegren

Samsonov
Woll

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Jarnkrok-Kampf-Nylander
Knies-Dewar-Reaves

Rielly-Lyubushkin
Benoit-McCabe
Edmundson-Liljegren

Samsonov
Woll
I think that D corps is a good one to start Florida series .. but Keefer is gonna pick Brodie on da 3rd pair as a vet .. his justification will be Lily has not been able to withstand a strong forecheck against playoff bound teams .. fyi Rielly did a much better job of eating pucks on forecheck last night .. looks like he is learning trade a bit better .. both Lily and Brodie WORRY me for different reasons .. but they are both better than Gio at this point

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I'd like to see:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
McMann - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Domi - Jarnkrok
Dewar - Kampf - Knies

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Jonas over at The Athletic did some surmising in his article posted today. Paywalled, yes but here is his prediction as of today:

Game 1 projection
LINELWCRW
1BertuzziMatthewsMarner
2McMannTavaresNylander
3KniesDomiJärnkrok
4DewarKämpfReaves
PairingLDRD
1RiellyLyubushkin
2BrodieMcCabe
3EdmundsonLiljegren
Goalie
1Samsonov

Line three is still a going concern.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Domi Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Nylander Jarnkrok
Knies JT McMann
Holmberg/Dewar/Robertson Kampf Reaves

Reactions: notDatsyuk

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
With a full healthy line-up (we need some more righties on this team and centers):

Domi - Tavares - Nylander
Knies/McMann - Kampf - Jarnkrok
Knies/McMann - Dewar - Reaves

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Brodie - Edmunson

Samsonov - Jones - Woll

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Knies - Holmberg - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves
Jarnkork, Robertson

Or

McMann - Tavares - Nylander
Knies - Domi - Jarnkrok
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves
Robertson, Holmberg

Reilly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Liljregren
Gio, Brodie

Samsonov
Woll

Jonas over at The Athletic did some surmising in his article posted today. Paywalled, yes but here is his prediction as of today:

Game 1 projection
LINELWCRW
1BertuzziMatthewsMarner
2McMannTavaresNylander
3KniesDomiJärnkrok
4DewarKämpfReaves
PairingLDRD
1RiellyLyubushkin
2BrodieMcCabe
3EdmundsonLiljegren
Goalie
1Samsonov

Boom 2 for 2 up front

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

Game 1 projection
LINELWCRW
1BertuzziMatthewsMarner
2McMannTavaresNylander
3KniesDomiJärnkrok
4DewarKämpfReaves
PairingLDRD
1RiellyLyubushkin
2BrodieMcCabe
3EdmundsonLiljegren
Goalie
1Samsonov

I’m feeling like 7D is the likely starting point, so Brodie is in the lineup for penalty killing and tight moments.

Well done!

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I can't see the talent split working long term, we just don't have the C depth with Domi on wing

Reactions: ACC1224

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I can't see the talent split working long term, we just don't have the C depth with Domi on wing
I think it can work if they Swapped Willy and Marner. Marner is much more capable to drive a line by himself compared to Willy. I also wonder who comes out when Jarnkrok is back and ready to go.

I think Holmberg has been okay as the 3rd line center as long as you shelter him, but he cannot try to go up against the other teams top players, with how the 3rd line is, I think the 2nd line is more likely to become the "shutdown" line more then the 3rd line would.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I think it can work if they Swapped Willy and Marner. Marner is much more capable to drive a line by himself compared to Willy. I also wonder who comes out when Jarnkrok is back and ready to go.

I think Holmberg has been okay as the 3rd line center as long as you shelter him, but he cannot try to go up against the other teams top players, with how the 3rd line is, I think the 2nd line is more likely to become the "shutdown" line more then the 3rd line would.

if you using marner on 3rd line, 3rd will be the shutdown line, certainly not the 2nd

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I don't know...I think there was reason to be concerned about two of our playoff centres being Domi and Tavares. Those lines would quite possibly lose match ups on the road.

Holmberg with Knies and Nylander is a pretty balanced line. Holmberg has skill and some defensive conscience and abilities.

A line with Tavares, Marner and McMann also be a strong two way line.

If we have a need for a shutdown line I like Dewar, Kampf and Jarnkrok. Of course, this means no Reaves or Robertson. Good depth though along with Gregor.

Other teams will have to focus on shutting down Matthews, Bertuzzi, and Domi. Good luck.

If these lines click I feel as though this would be difficult to defend and counter.

Reactions: arso40

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

If the Leafs keep the lines as in practice today -- Keefe will have my major kudos.

William Nylander had (IIRC) one of his best playoff series playing with Alex Kerfoot. He's a guy who's a little bit selfish with the puck, and doesn't really depend on, or feed off of, his linemates for production. He just needs somebody with decent speed and two-way ability in the middle of the ice.

They should probably consider switching Bertuzzi & Knies, to give Nylander a guy that's a little better crashign the net, and Matthews somebody that's a little better along the wall, but that's details.

The way the lines are now constructed, Nylander should benefit from seeing 3rd defensive pairs and 2nd/3rd lines more consistently.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If the Leafs keep the lines as in practice today -- Keefe will have my major kudos.

William Nylander had (IIRC) one of his best playoff series playing with Alex Kerfoot. He's a guy who's a little bit selfish with the puck, and doesn't really depend on, or feed off of, his linemates for production. He just needs somebody with decent speed and two-way ability in the middle of the ice.

They should probably consider switching Bertuzzi & Knies, to give Nylander a guy that's a little better crashign the net, and Matthews somebody that's a little better along the wall, but that's details.

The way the lines are now constructed, Nylander should benefit from seeing 3rd defensive pairs and 2nd/3rd lines more consistently.
Jarn gives them wing options, but it's ultimately center that's the concern given Holmberg is a sub 30 point rookie you're hoping can prey on "easier" matchups. I like Holmberg, but it's a big jump asking him to be a solid offensive contributor.

Their best option is to have Domi center that line with Willy and Knies, then hope Jarn can fit with Bert - Matthews, but you're losing the past first players Matthews is used to playing with and really it's Domi - Matthews you want to see more time with, not Bert.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad