Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
He just seems like he is not used to and still having trouble adjusting to fast playoff pace of the game…

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Their was a moment in the 2nd when the Oilers dumped in it our zone and EP was the first player to get the puck and was about to take contact and he turned away from contact and lost the puck

That’s when I knew everything I said about him was correct. He is simply now built for playoff hockey.

If they had waited, his average would be down to about $9 million per now.
It’s insane that he makes a penny more than JT

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
EP40s fine he’s playing with Mikheyev. Mikheyev hasn’t won a single puck battle these playoffs, hasn’t sustained any possession whatsoever, hasn’t created anything for his teammates, his only purpose seems is to skate towards the opposing Dman so that he can pass it, such a useless player. EP40 would fair far better with PDG & Karlsson as his wingers.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
He just seems like he is not used to and still having trouble adjusting to fast playoff pace of the game…
He's been bad 2 weeks prior to his contract signing. That's when he finally decided to sign. Since then, he has been awful. It hasn't just been the playoffs.

I don't know what's up with Pettersson but he is awful right now.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yep it's definitely his injury and linemates that's holding him back?

Told you he should be paid like Barzal and Aho. Never should have got 10plus. He is on an island but also looked like a piano on his ass and weak plays tonight.

Got very concerned hearing him say he wanted a World's or Olympic gold over Stanley Cup...just shows its not something he will run through a wall to get.

Unreal how the minute he signed he's been this poor.
What do we add to get Tkachuk from Ottawa

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
If you had to rank the players this playoffs he would be like 9th or 10th lol which is sad considering what he signed for.

Miller
Boeser
Garland
Joshua
Lindholm
Suter
Zadorov
Hughes
Silovs
Desmith

Are all clearly playing better.

Okay even if you don't include goalies, you could argue Soucy has been more impactful. In fact hes tied with Soucy in points. Also only has 2 even strength points in 9 games and both are secondary assists I think.

Even if his linemates suck at least be a powerplay merchant.

Reactions: B-rock

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
So what’s everybody think of his game tonight?
he was trash. what else is there to say?

I believe Barkov had 5 points in the first 12 games in last years playoffs. Stone had like 7-8 points in 20 games couple years ago. I think he’ll eventually learn how to play in the playoffs like them but at this point the team is just focused on riding the Miller/Lindholm lines as the main offensive weapons which is fine. But you also have to admit he is in a really bad slump and a riding an uncharacteristically career low shooting %. Unless you think these last 3 months means he’s now a 60 point forward?

Quite honestly most don’t care enough about him right now. Everyone’s focused on the positives and the emergences of unlikely players. I suggest you do the same!

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
he was trash. what else is there to say?

I believe Barkov had 5 points in the first 12 games in last years playoffs. Stone had like 7-8 points in 20 games couple years ago. I think he’ll eventually learn how to play in the playoffs like them but at this point the team is just focused on riding the Miller/Lindholm lines as the main offensive weapons which is fine. But you also have to admit he is in a really bad slump and a riding an uncharacteristically career low shooting %. Unless you think these last 3 months means he’s now a 60 point forward?

Quite honestly most don’t care enough about him right now. Everyone’s focused on the positives and the emergences of unlikely players. I suggest you do the same!
I am enjoying the series a lot but I’m also very business minded and the Canucks have a huge liability forming on the books.

Like many things in life, left unchecked or fixed most issues only become worse. This situation may not resolve itself. This may require intervention via management.

Hockey is a sport but it’s also a business so you have to treat it as such.

I think shopping him in the off season isn’t a bad idea. What’s the harm in gauging the market?

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I am enjoying the series a lot but I’m also very business minded and the Canucks have a huge liability forming on the books.

Like many things in life, left unchecked or fixed most issues only become worse. This situation may not resolve itself. This may require intervention via management.

I think shopping him in the off season isn’t a bad idea. What’s the harm in gauging the market?
I think if you get some better linemates you will see his production go way up. It’s like he’s devolved his game to that of his linemates, especially that Mikheyev with 1 goal in his last 60 games and Hoglander who thinks it’s a cardio session out there. I mean yet again Mikheyev on a 2 on 1 has the opportunity to pass it to Pettersson but he shoots it into the crest.

He is a strong 5 on 5 player and is among the top 20 in the NHL in 5 on 5 points in the last 2 seasons combined, more than Miller. Do I want him to elevate his linemates? Yes, especially at $11.6M but I also do expect linemates that can lift their own weight. Lindholm has Joshua/Garland, Miller has Boeser and Suter. All of them are capable forwards.

At 25 years old he has had 1 100 point season and another 90 point season, 3 time 30 goal scorer with linemates consisting of Mikheyev, Hoglander, Lafferty, non system guy Kuzmenko, and Beauvillier. 3 out of the 4 had paced or had career seasons with him. I think you keep him.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I think if you get some better linemates you will see his production go way up. It’s like he’s devolved his game to that of his linemates, especially that Mikheyev with 1 goal in his last 60 games and Hoglander who thinks it’s a cardio session out there. I mean yet again Mikheyev on a 2 on 1 has the opportunity to pass it to Pettersson but he shoots it into the crest.

He is a strong 5 on 5 player and is among the top 20 in the NHL in 5 on 5 points in the last 2 seasons combined, more than Miller. Do I want him to elevate his linemates? Yes, especially at $11.6M but I also do expect linemates that can lift their own weight. Lindholm has Joshua/Garland, Miller has Boeser and Suter. All of them are capable forwards.

At 25 years old he has had 1 100 point season and another 90 point season, 3 time 30 goal scorer with linemates consisting of Mikheyev, Hoglander, Lafferty, non system guy Kuzmenko, and Beauvillier. 3 out of the 4 had paced or had career seasons with him. I think you keep him.
Difference is our approach to the issue.

You can’t spend 14-18 million dollars making your 11.6M problem play better. If that’s the way to resolve the issue then he was never a 11.6M player in the first place which is a huge problem w the contract.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
This contract plus the OEL buyout is going to destroy our depth in the next few years. Makes this run possibly our best chance for the core to go deep.

His value is going to be at an all time low.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Yep it's definitely his injury and linemates that's holding him back?

Told you he should be paid like Barzal and Aho. Never should have got 10plus. He is on an island but also looked like a piano on his ass and weak plays tonight.

Got very concerned hearing him say he wanted a World's or Olympic gold over Stanley Cup...just shows its not something he will run through a wall to get.

Unreal how the minute he signed he's been this poor.
What do we add to get Tkachuk from Ottawa

I know it’s reactionary, but I can’t help but think of it too. He’s clearly got all the skill in the world, but I don’t find him a likeable player, and for that kind of money you simply have to be impactful. I’d rather a combo like Lindholm and Tkachuk than Pettersson and Toffoli for similar money.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Would people just take a step back from the cliff already
People get too hung up on the idea that everyone is injured in the playoffs so any injured player should just let the mind overrule the body as if you have controls over how your nerves controls your muscles.
Lindholm played bad when he was injured after coming to us and now he is playing well after recovering and everyone is like surprised pikachu face.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
And both of them looked better, more engaged and more energetic than him.

And Pettersson is doing the heavy lifting on the defensive side of the puck with the players he's saddled with, while also getting the odd scoring chance that he unfortunately hasn't converted on

Yeah, We all want more out of Pettersson, for 11m we want to see a gamebreaking player. However, that's not the role he's deployed in right now with the way the roster is set up. Outchancing the opponents while playing a good defensive game with two subpar wingers is honestly not the worst outcome and is fairly impressive in its own way. Not ideal, but honestly not terrible.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
And Pettersson is doing the heavy lifting on the defensive side of the puck with the players he's saddled with, while also getting the odd scoring chance that he unfortunately hasn't converted on

Yeah, We all want more out of Pettersson, for 11m we want to see a gamebreaking player. However, that's not the role he's deployed in right now with the way the roster is set up. Outchancing the opponents while playing a good defensive game with two subpar wingers is honestly not the worst outcome and is fairly impressive in its own way. Not ideal, but honestly not terrible.
He’s also playing with a bottom 6 F and a 13th forward

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
We win the game and the trolls are still here wasting bandwidth.
Trolls?

You're not concerned in the least that starting next year the guy that has been an utter disappointment who has had poor body language sulking and getting thrown around like a rag doll in many instances is gonna be making around 50% more than any of Boeser Hughes and Miller the trio that actually shown up and led the charge?

It's not a good look to be a loner superstar holding a team hostage keeping everyone guessing whether you even want to play for them and then take the bag and then proceed to play like you would rather be back in Sweden playing video games or at the Worlds which he expressed was a bigger deal to him than a cup.

It's certainly a conversation to have when maybe the relationship between him this city and Tocchet might get to a point where maybe he's better off somewhere else. Or the goals of the organization are not aligned with their highest paid player?

FFS i've listened to so many dumps on Miller and Boeser and whoever was struggling the last few yrs it's actually laughable for the Petey fan boys to get all defensive and start taking aim at fans who expect Pettersson after they laid out the red carpet to play well and start calling them names.

Reactions: Nomobo and B-rock

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If they had waited, his average would be down to about $9 million per now.

The unfortunate part is no he wouldn't. Just like Marner won't take less than 10M wherever he ends up. Aho and Barkov haven't put up a 100 point seasons whereas Pettersson has. That plays a huge factor in why he got the amount he did. Nevermind, Canadian teams generally have to pay more.

Is he worth 11.6M right now? No. He's been average to downright bad throughout most of the playoffs. It's more than a little frustrating watching Barkov put up 13 points and Aho have 10 whereas Pettersson has only mustered 4.

Let's take a step back and compare linemates though.

Guentzel - Aho - Svechnikov
Tarasenko - Barkov - Reinhart
Mikheyev - Pettersson - Karlsson/Hoglander

I know people don't like to hear excuses but there is an enormous difference in talent on those wings. Pettersson's line is essentially being used a depth third line, and producing as expected in that role. Actually, it's still disappointing, albeit less so.

When Petey finally scored, it was on the powerplay with a beautiful pass from Lindholm. Kind of says everything, doesn't it? He isn't McDavid or Crosby. He can't turn average players into superstars. Good as Miller has been, it's because Boeser had a complete resurgence and the two built chemistry. Pettersson doesn't have that because Hoglander disappeared and Mikheyev can't score.

Reactions: BimJenning

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad