Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
for all his flaws in the past 3 months, his struggles and his declining play I disagree that is he a mitch Marner-level failure. I know he's supposed to step up, our best players are supposed to step up. We've heard this before, but to compare him to marner is outright scape goating used by Leafs fans canucks haters.
Agree with your post. I think the Marner comparison is instructive though. I think Marner's failures are partly due to the fact that there IS less time and space in the playoffs and Marner hasn't adapted. Petey did play in the bubble playoffs but I suppose it is different with fans.

I think Petey will figure it out and he needs to. He needs to be motivated to take over games and not play like Marner.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Those bubble highlights are like watching a completely different player. Even last near he was nowhere near as assertive.

Dude has just never been the same since the Vegas series.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Those bubble highlights are like watching a completely different player. Even last near he was nowhere near as assertive.

Dude has just never been the same since the Vegas series.
He's been a much better offensive player at many points in his career -- explosive, controlling the middle of the ice, and getting on pucks before other players. I don't think I've ever seen a player this good and this inconsistent.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Pettersson bad and Pettersson good is basically Steve Rodgers/Captain america before and after the effects of the super soldier serum. Its a different person.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Agree with your post. I think the Marner comparison is instructive though. I think Marner's failures are partly due to the fact that there IS less time and space in the playoffs and Marner hasn't adapted. Petey did play in the bubble playoffs but I suppose it is different with fans.

I think Petey will figure it out and he needs to. He needs to be motivated to take over games and not play like Marner.
Marner though is a number of seasons into his monster deal (I don't think he had a bridge type of deal inbetween his ELC & current mega contract).

Elias is still on the last year of his bridge contract. For me, that means lesser expectations (others might feel different).

Marner's situation is also different in that the other "M" on the team has pretty much laid an egg in the post-season(s) as well. Seems like Nylander is the only one of their "big three" that is carrying his weight (post-seasonwise)

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
There was a recent interview of him saying the key to success was moving his feet.

Which points to something that is inhibiting his core mobility and preventing him from pushing off explosively the way one needs to to create time and space and beat defenders.

Every time the puck gets turned over it probably hurts for Petey to suddenly switch and start sprinting in the opposite direction.

And he can’t keep up and he knows it and it shows in his body language.

It is what it is right now. Whatever core issue ails Petey absolutely has to be addressed as soon as we get bounced out of the playoffs.

Nobody is harder on Petey than himself. He’s absolutely wants to be worth his contract.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Marner though is a number of seasons into his monster deal (I don't think he had a bridge type of deal inbetween his ELC & current mega contract).

Elias is still on the last year of his bridge contract. For me, that means lesser expectations (others might feel different).

Marner's situation is also different in that the other "M" on the team has pretty much laid an egg in the post-season(s) as well. Seems like Nylander is the only one of their "big three" that is carrying his weight (post-seasonwise)
I don’t think it matters. Petey is currently the third highest paid Canuck and has an A on his sweater. His extension was based on past performance with the expectation of continued performance. He’s not really paid for some potential he may or may not reach.

In Marner’s situation it doesn’t matter what the other “M” who is ill does. Again, just like with Petey, if Marner was creating chances left and right and his linemates failed to finish off those chances and Marner was robbed by stellar goaltending I think Leafs fans would acknowledge the performance. That might not be enough to some but at least there is a debate.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I believe. I also believe Petey is hurt, probably ribs or hernia or something similar. Sure maybe I'm wrong but he's with us for the long haul so I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

This is a different playoff animal but I think that the bubble did show that he can up his game in pressure situations....we just haven't seen it so far.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I believe. I also believe Petey is hurt, probably ribs or hernia or something similar. Sure maybe I'm wrong but he's with us for the long haul so I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

This is a different playoff animal but I think that the bubble did show that he can up his game in pressure situations....we just haven't seen it so far.
Have hernia, f***ing sucks. I think sports athletes can have minor procedure on it but there is nothing else you can do other than wait for body to heal.

Reactions: mossey3535

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Playoff hockey is WAR, ep is not that type of player, he is not a fighter and looked scared out there

what an asinine and baseless statement

stop it, If he was significantly injured it 100% would’ve leaked by now. No excuse for his play

speaking of stopping things; don't make another account. it's annoying blocking every single one.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Have hernia, f***ing sucks. I think sports athletes can have minor procedure on it but there is nothing else you can do other than wait for body to heal.
What really sucks was having both Mogilny & Bure in their primes on the Canucks but rarely (it seemed) did we have the fortune of both of them being healthy at the same time.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
When have you seen a "better" EP? egular season 41 games player,

Trevor Linden just said that not me, If you're afraid of facing the fact, block me you dope

Do you need Dhaliwal to tell you that? Everybody’s banged up this time of year, not 100%? hes not even 5% physically and mentally.

First 5 posts bashing Petey. User name “sc pretender”.

Troll account lol, oiler fans man.

Nov 1, 2011
Well, looking forward to Petey stepping up and outperforming McDrai.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I do feel bad for the young man. If its his nerves that are getting to him then they're about to be on full display to the entire country and he will be getting torn apart on every sports show, podcast and social media if he goes full Bambi on ice.

Talk about betting on yourself blowing up in your face

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
You do remember that Kesler was drafted after & won the Selke as a Canuck?
Yes, Kesler was a decent player for the organization but he was not in the same caliber of player that Henrik Sedin and Elias Pettersson are in. Pettersson's first year he had 66 points, Kesler had 76 points combined his first THREE years.

Kesler was a nice second line center or complimentary top six player, Henrik Sedin and EP40 are legitimate number one NHL centers. Ryan Kesler started to decline at 27 while EP40 is 25 and still getting better, despite having two down months to end the season.

Reactions: mossey3535

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
Problem solved!

Hope the extra rest and being an integral part of a series clinching goal gets Pettersson back on track. Him being a difference maker is crucial against the Oilers.
I don't think rest has anything to do with it. He was fine the last three games of the series. Admittedly the first real playoff experience with the crowds kinda shook him, but once he got over that he played well, as noted by Tocchet.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Problem solved!

Hope the extra rest and being an integral part of a series clinching goal gets Pettersson back on track. Him being a difference maker is crucial against the Oilers.
I hope so.

But I think there is something wrong with him physically that we wont know about until the season ends. Abdomen / Groin / Hip related stuff is my guess.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I hope so.

But I think there is something wrong with him physically that we wont know about until the season ends. Abdomen / Groin / Hip related stuff is my guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case either. I would be surprised if it as debilitating as others think considering his generally poor play has stretched on for months and they haven't rested him when given opportunities.

Just to allay any confusing "Problem solved!" was in reference to getting rid of a troll that was running roughshod in this thread last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad