OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies, etc...Part VI

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I haven't watched basketball in years apart from last year's finals.

I just checked out like 10 minutes of the nuggets game...and WTF??? I guess I just don't understand basketball.

The ref blows the whistle and then the players start taking shots at the basket like it's time to practice???

There's a guy out there playing with a pair of sunglasses on his head??? What's next a pair of headphones or a cape??? What is this???

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Watched the first two games, turn this one on in the 3rd and the nuggets start sucking. I’m leaving :laugh:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Wait, what? They seriously don't have any but two 2nd rounders for the remainder of the decade!? How?
They sold all their draft picks off in the Beal and Durant trades. Their whole relevance right now depends on Durant not aging out of the league and Beal staying off the IR, because they have no other options really except trading Booker. They signed Beal to some crazy extension that’s gonna age horribly.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
They sold all their draft picks off in the Beal and Durant trades. Their whole relevance right now depends on Durant not aging out of the league and Beal staying off the IR, because they have no other options really except trading Booker. They signed Beal to some crazy extension that’s gonna age horribly.

That's still not true, though. They have pick swaps but that isn't the same as trading all their picks outright.

Suns 1st round picks:
2024 - own their own
2025 - none
2026 - they get the least favorable pick among Phoenix, Orlando, Washington, or Memphis
2027 - none
2028 - they get the least favorable pick among Phoenix, Philadelphia, Washington, or Brooklyn
2029 - none
2030 - they get the least favorable pick among Phoenix, Memphis, and Washington

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Ishbia already did the damage. He’d actually be wise to sell the team right now.

Between now and the year 2031 (!!!) they have a total of 2 second round picks available. They traded away all their other picks.

They’re also in the second apron so they can only sign guys to min deals. They can’t take in more salary than they give up in any deal. They can’t sign buyout guys.

They’re seriously f’d. This was their year.

If they offered me their head coaching job tomorrow I’m not even sure *I* would take it. This team is gonna be awful as Durant declines. Their only hope is trading Booker.
While the Suns are in a bad spot, you have got to be kidding with your "analysis" here. Why would Ishiba sell the team? You don't buy and sell teams based on next five year outlook. They are making lots of money thanks to TV deals, he's not screwed in any way.

The Beal deal was unwise but I kind of get it. They needed CP3 out and settled on Beal, a guy who really never did a damn thing to make the money he makes. They are utilizing that cap space they had. If they just let it expire there was no way to get another talent with it as that's how the NBA works. When you are up in tax zone expiring deals don't yield space unless you make trades. And remember Booker was seriously on management to do something or he wouldn't have signed his max deal.

This is important to watch for the Nuggets as well as guys start leaving each year like Bruce did and KCP might be next. Then it's AG and all they have is the hope that the draft picks work out. Otherwise even if not in the 2nd apron cap space that is used on expiring contracts is a ticking time bomb. The team can't just go use that as ammo for signings, they have to trade for other contracts or they have to surrender that excess until they get back to the cap.

Frankly trading Booker isn't the solution and it's not going to happen. He may go in time but only if they mutually agree to it, say he wants out because of the decline. More likely is they figure out something with Beal that moves his deal but doesn't make the team any better. Then they will have to just cycle through young undrafted talent and hope something useful comes. It's not a formula to win a title but if you have two stars it keeps you relevant for awhile.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
That's still not true, though. They have pick swaps but that isn't the same as trading all their picks outright.

Suns 1st round picks:
2024 - own their own
2025 - none
2026 - they get the least favorable pick among Phoenix, Orlando, Washington, or Memphis
2027 - none
2028 - they get the least favorable pick among Phoenix, Philadelphia, Washington, or Brooklyn
2029 - none
2030 - they get the least favorable pick among Phoenix, Memphis, and Washington
God that's post Stepien Cavs bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad