Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I'd agree the edge goes to Kapanen. A bit more matured. However, I see a see saw battle in the years to come. Beck's first pro season is a big one. Could increase in prospect value or decrease. With Kapanen, he has the transition to NA game to come (after this next season).

If I was forced to bet today... Kapanen is better. How much better? Subjective guess.

Absolutely! Any clowns who claim that they know that one of these guys will be definitively better than the other are talking out of their collective asses.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
That "scout" is an idiot of the worst kind because he thinks he needs to make outlandish claims in order to be interesting (he might have to actually, because he offers very little else. Not sure why people invite him on podcasts... My guess is there are too many podcasts and too little content for them).

Then he paints himself in a corner by doubling down on his idiotic takes. Shouldn't give this guy any credibility.

snake is essentially a message board poster who got noticed by a sports journalist, on his blog. That's it. He has no real credentials within the pro hockey world.

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
Glad to see Kapanen making some noise with a terrific playoff performance in Finland and at the WC. He definitely will rise up the habs prospects rankings with maybe only Joshua Roy as a better prospect up front before this year's draft.

Too bad he signed a two-year contract, he looks like he will be ready for the NHL and will skip Laval if his development keeps trending upward at the end of his deal. With all the expiring contract at the end of next year, I'm pretty sure he would have earned a spot if he signed with habs this year instead.

Him and Beck will probably compete for the same spot even though a lot could change when Beck turns pros. Hard to tell which ones will emerge as the better prospect. Kapanen is only 6 months older and has shown more so far. Both could end up playing on the same line as well. They are far from finished products but I'm happy to have both.

At the beginning of the year, maybe kapanen was a top-15 prospect on most lists but he has passed by Kidney, Mesar and Farrell. He should continue to solidify his name as a top-10 habs prospect not only with his decent upside but above all his likelyness to make it to the NHL which is almost a certainty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chili

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Kapanen can step into a bottom 6 C role pretty easy with us IMO, which gives the team some options with Dvorak in his UFA season and Evans being as good as he's probably ever going to be in the NHL. I could see Kapanen in the mix as early as the 25-26 season.
The Lehkonen route. I don't mind about him going to Sweden for a year, it's a step up from Liiga competition.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He's wack...he just likes being a contrarian and acts like every Habs fan who likes a prospect is a fanboy/girl who thinks that player is going to be a star.
If being right and wrong makes you a wack...I guess so is Timmins and every single scout out there. Yep, he made some terrible calls. And made great ones too. Being a contrarian would always to go against clear cut picks. He doesn't. He likes to add names though in lists that aren't there that much. Just like he did with Skinner. But he also added guys like Martin Chromiak in his 1st round...while he was chosen in the 5th and does nothing.

It's easier for him or for anybody in the biz to guess on prospects as it does not affect a whole NHL team. Yet....as a Habs fan....we've seen that with quite a lot of players too.

I would suspect that if him or anybody outside actual teams, they'd have to be more careful with their takes. Snake is playing a game that isn't based on actual heresay. I'd bet that a lo tof insiders while they do share their own views, also talks to a lot of scouts. Hence they don't often go with outside picks.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Since Snake is a loser hack that I'd listen to more people on the board than him

The guys at the athletic (Scott CantWheelHer, Pronman, Peters) said Kapanen was very impressive and looks every bit a NHL bottom 6 center and that's a successful pick.
As of right now, no matter what I think of him...Kapanen is a fine pick. Succesful? We'll see how that develops. I don't remember somebody saying a pick is succesful without seeing him in the NHL first. And we will see how develops after. I remember you and me liking Winterton....not sure if it's Kidney or Kapanen...but we sure would hav eliked to get Winterton with one of those picks. I was also a Svozil fan.

But it takes a blind man to not be thrilled about Kapanen's season this year. I know I'd like him to be a little faster. And I don't believe that he'd be an offensive threat. But yes, bottom 6 could be reasonable. Could indeed be a good challenge to Beck for sure.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
As of right now, no matter what I think of him...Kapanen is a fine pick. Succesful? We'll see how that develops. I don't remember somebody saying a pick is succesful without seeing him in the NHL first. And we will see how develops after. I remember you and me liking Winterton....not sure if it's Kidney or Kapanen...but we sure would hav eliked to get Winterton with one of those picks. I was also a Svozil fan.

But it takes a blind man to not be thrilled about Kapanen's season this year. I know I'd like him to be a little faster. And I don't believe that he'd be an offensive threat. But yes, bottom 6 could be reasonable. Could indeed be a good challenge to Beck for sure.

They meant it like if he plays in your bottom 6 (what he looked like at the worlds) it would be a successful pick. Not that he's a successful pick already.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
They meant it like if he plays in your bottom 6 (what he looked like at the worlds) it would be a successful pick. Not that he's a successful pick already.
then, it's true. If the kid centers our 3rd line the way he does now.....plays a great forecheck and wins his faceoffs....that will be a huge wow.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
His upward trajectory over the past season has been eye opening. Another year in Finland and he will be even better.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
His upward trajectory over the past season has been eye opening. Another year in Finland and he will be even better.
Not that it matters but Kapanen has contract with Timrå in Sweden for the next season. One year under Olli Jokinen’s tutelage should be in the interests of both parties (Montreal and Kapanen).

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
He's wack...he just likes being a contrarian and acts like every Habs fan who likes a prospect is a fanboy/girl who thinks that player is going to be a star.
he does like to be a contrarian… but he does have a point there very few drafted player end up having a career and a handful of guy that have a impact… if you say a player will fail you will be right most of the time that being he isn’t just bashing habs picks or he is bashing the same everyone is regretting and is batting avg isn’t any worst than anyone or some NHL team.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
he does like to be a contrarian… but he does have a point there very few drafted player end up having a career and a handful of guy that have a impact… if you say a player will fail you will be right most of the time that being he isn’t just bashing habs picks or he is bashing the same everyone is regretting and is batting avg isn’t any worst than anyone or some NHL team.
Everyone should know that and I don't think anyone says the opposite.

He's just always combative and takes strong positions out of spite sometimes, at least it comes off that way to me.

Not my cup of tea, but doesn't mean I don't think he has valid points or doesn't provide good insight on prospects, he does from time to time.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Everyone should know that and I don't think anyone says the opposite.

He's just always combative and takes strong positions out of spite sometimes, at least it comes off that way to me.

Not my cup of tea, but doesn't mean I don't think he has valid points or doesn't provide good insight on prospects, he does from time to time.
I agree he has a chip in is shoulder and probably does go over board out of spite sometimes.
But I have to say that over the last two years my opinion on him has change pretty drastically especially since is list is a lot closer to kind than I expected hahaha…
But the best part is that he isn’t a cheerleader for everyone and pretty realistic about player and value around the league…

Last edited:
Reactions: 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Glad to see Kapanen making some noise with a terrific playoff performance in Finland and at the WC. He definitely will rise up the habs prospects rankings with maybe only Joshua Roy as a better prospect up front before this year's draft.

Too bad he signed a two-year contract, he looks like he will be ready for the NHL and will skip Laval if his development keeps trending upward at the end of his deal. With all the expiring contract at the end of next year, I'm pretty sure he would have earned a spot if he signed with habs this year instead.

Him and Beck will probably compete for the same spot even though a lot could change when Beck turns pros. Hard to tell which ones will emerge as the better prospect. Kapanen is only 6 months older and has shown more so far. Both could end up playing on the same line as well. They are far from finished products but I'm happy to have both.

At the beginning of the year, maybe kapanen was a top-15 prospect on most lists but he has passed by Kidney, Mesar and Farrell. He should continue to solidify his name as a top-10 habs prospect not only with his decent upside but above all his likelyness to make it to the NHL which is almost a certainty.

I don't believe he is at Roy's level yet. This past season regained his middle 2C hope (probably 3C). Roy has top 6F in him.

Great season by Kapanen in terms of playing a complete game and showing production in a tight checking league. I think having him play one more SHL year to dominate is a good thing. Comes over seas ready to play NHL (like Koivu).

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don't believe he is at Roy's level yet. This past season regained his middle 2C hope (probably 3C). Roy has top 6F in him.

Great season by Kapanen in terms of playing a complete game and showing production in a tight checking league. I think having him play one more SHL year to dominate is a good thing. Comes over seas ready to play NHL (like Koivu).
We are in a good spot, to be patient.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad