Dec 19, 2016
MTL receives:

10th overall pick ‘24
LW Alexander Holtz

NJ receives:

LD Kaiden Guhle
~27th overall pick (Jets) ‘24
2nd round pick ‘24

MTL loses a promising young top-4 D, but then takes one of Buium, Silayev, or Dickinson at 5th, and then scoops up whoever they see as the best forward remaining at 10th - likely one of Iginla, Sennecke, Catton, Helenius, or Eiserman.

Or vice versa - they take a forward at 5th if someone they like is there (Demidov or Lindstrom), and take the best remaining D (most likely Yakemchuk or Parekh). They also acquire a young struggling winger who could use a change of scenery.

NJ bolsters their blueline for years with a young defensive minded top-4 D who can slot in and eat up heavy minutes immediately, stays in the first round this year, and gets back into the 2nd round this year as well.

If MTL wants back into the 2nd round, they can try to package both their 3rds to a team willing to trade down.

Thoughts? Who says no?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Holy shit this is awful.

Holtz has bust written all over him and their is ZERO reason for us to do this with you all.
Not much different than Newhook really. He had 16g, 28 points this year. He’s 22 and still has promise, imo. MTL is also incredibly weak at LW.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
You don’t think any of them ever hit 22 points or average 20 mins/game? Ok 😂
I said might,, It's still a gamble while Guhle is not.
Even if they end up being better the Guhle it's not going to be by much.
I would not take the gamble on a other D.
IF we trade Guhle is to draft a forwards that we really really want at #10 like Catton or Sennecke even then it will take more then #10 to move Guhle.

Reactions: HabsAddict

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Fair value but I expect MTL says no.

10th for Guhle is likely fair value (again, I would not do it as MTL but likely fair value if they tried to sell him)
Holtz for 1st+2nd works

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I said might,, It's still a gamble while Guhle is not.
Even if they end up being better the Guhle it's not going to be by much.
I would not take the gamble on a other D.
IF we trade Guhle is to draft a forwards that we really really want at #10 like Catton or Sennecke even then it will take more then #10 to move Guhle.
Yeah, that’s covered in the deal. What else would you expect NJ to add to the deal then?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Fair value but I expect MTL says no.

10th for Guhle is likely fair value (again, I would not do it as MTL but likely fair value if they tried to sell him)
Holtz for 1st+2nd works
Idk, it’s not like they’d even be hurting on LD after the deal. All of Silayev, Buium, and Dickinson are LD and they all look close to NHL ready. MTL would still have Matheson, one of the above coming in, Hutson, Zhekaj, and Harris at LD. They’d still have more than enough to get by and it’s not like they’re trying to contend either. They’re in the middle of a rebuild. Losing Guhle would hurt, but they’re trading from a position of surplus there.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Yeah, that’s covered in the deal. What else would you expect NJ to add to the deal then?
I would say take out the Hab's pick at minimum.
You don't get top 2 defense at 22 years old for cheap.
But Guhle - Nemec would be a crazy good D line.

MTL : Guhle
for
NJ : Holtz + #10

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Exact same deal as the Newhook trade. Holtz is the same age as Newhook was last year too, and he has the same production as Newhook did. MTL also has terrible LW depth.
Newhook is an elite skater. Holtz is a below average skater.

Holtz is a poor man's Toffoli, and that's if he hits his peak.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Not much different than Newhook really. He had 16g, 28 points this year. He’s 22 and still has promise, imo. MTL is also incredibly weak at LW.
Newhook didn't costs us a top line D man, a #10 pick for a bust and scraps.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Newhook is an elite skater. Holtz is a below average skater.

Holtz is a poor man's Toffoli, and that's if he hits his peak.
Toffoli had 29 points in his D+4 year. Holtz just had 28 points. Guess what year? And Holtz does some things better than Newhook too, but they’re comparable players.

Reactions: dgibb10

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Don't want a poor man's Toffoli. That's a garbage-chuk offer.
You have no idea if he’s a “poor man’s” version or not. And people calling him a bust is just dumb, considering the Habs just acquired Newhook last year and he had the same numbers and was the same age.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
LOL, no thanks.
Happy to take that part out of the deal and keep Holtz

10th for Guhle, 1 for 1. If Montreal passes, which I'd expect they would, then move on to another target.

Edit: if Sam Dickinson is on the board at 10 I would not offer that pick for Guhle*

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You have no idea if he’s a “poor man’s” version or not. And people calling him a bust is just dumb, considering the team acquired Newhook last year and he had the same numbers and was the same age.
If you had your way, the Habs would be in a permanent rebuild. Acquiring players that are terrible fits. Giving up on young players that you have developed. I mean, just a dumb way to rebuild.

There is a reason why no Habs fan agrees with this ridiculous proposal while NJ fans are faxing in the paper work! lol

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
If you had your way, the Habs would be in a permanent rebuild. Acquiring players that are terrible fits. Giving up on young players that you have developed. I mean, just a dumb way to rebuild.

There is a reason why no Habs fan agrees with this ridiculous proposal while NJ fans are faxing in the paper work! lol
Exactly how is Holtz a terrible fit? MTL is incredibly shallow at LW, and Holtz fits the profile of the type of players Hughes has acquired two years in a row.

Like I told the other poster, the Habs would be more than fine at LD after this deal. They’d still have Matheson, potentially one of the mentioned LD from the draft coming in, all whom look close to NHL ready, Hutson, Xhekaj, and Harris.

Then, they’d get potentially another premium forward prospect (one of Iginla, Helenius, Sennecke, Catton, or Eiserman. Plus Holtz, who still has top-six upside and plays a position of need for the Habs.

Filling in holes in the lineup by trading from an area of strength is a dumb way to rebuild? News to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad