Player Discussion Morgan Rielly

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For a decade we've been talking about finding a player to play with Morgan Rielly, but his sputtering offense, terrible special teams contributions on the powerplay, inconsistent and sloppy defensive play, that daydreaming sequence in the Game 7 OT loss to Boston, I don't think he's part of a winning recipe.

We have to find a defenseman who can supplant him in the "number one" role that will bump him down the roster, and with his cap being what it is, he's really not a guy who can be locked in till 2029-30 with a NMC.

What a disappointing player.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
For a decade we've been talking about finding a player to play with Morgan Rielly, but his sputtering offense, terrible special teams contributions on the powerplay, inconsistent and sloppy defensive play, that daydreaming sequence in the Game 7 OT loss to Boston, I don't think he's part of a winning recipe.

We have to find a defenseman who can supplant him in the "number one" role that will bump him down the roster, and with his cap being what it is, he's really not a guy who can be locked in till 2029-30 with a NMC.

Let Marner walk and we can afford someone to push him into the #2 role. We need a horse back there.

It’s not Morgan’s fault we decided to pay our ENTIRE defence core less than 15M. That’s the f***ing joke here.

Invest in D and G and we can go somewhere.

Oh and Fire Keefe and Shanahan ASAP

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This was his worst series to date. Just absolutely nothing offensively or in terms of puck movement. He and Boosh didn't get scored on a ton but hoo boy did he pick a great time for Boston to exploit him tonight in Game 7, on for both goals against.

I don't know if he was hurt or what. You could probably get something for him in a trade but he's got a NMC. Would be hard to convince him to waive. Don't think he's as sick of this city and franchise as Mitch, and the vitriol towards him isn't anywhere close to the same level.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
All series long I honestly felt more comfortable with Lyubhskin having to handle the man on man situations. Rielly showed some really poor form this series.

He also has to be the worst PP defensemen in the league, nothing even remotely threatening comes from him.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

I love Rielly, but he struggled recently. He was awesome last year. He can't be that every year. He's not your typical #1. I don't mind the OP's sentiment. We definitely need more defense and a lot better than what we have.

Reactions: seventieslord

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
If they can sell him off for any return before that contract turns into a bigger anchor than it already is, do it now.

Reactions: seventieslord

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I love Rielly, but he struggled recently. He was awesome last year. He can't be that every year. He's not your typical #1. I don't mind the OP's sentiment. We definitely need more defense and a lot better than what we have.

He’s not a number one defenseman or a number two defenseman. To me, he’s kind of a Jake McCabe level second pair with way less physicality and doesn’t have the offensive excellence, transition game or special teams to smooth over the defensive sloppiness. His foot speed is also getting worse and worse. And it’s like his decision making slows down as his feet slow down.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Finding a true top pairing defenseman is a tall task. If you don't draft them high or find a diamond in the rough it's difficult. Doesn't help that so much draft capital under Hunter and Dubas was spent on shorties like Dermott, Sandin, Liljegren, Hollowell, Durzi, and Niemela. Not saying you need to be a behemoth to be an effective top pair defenseman but if they don't have high end skill like Makar, Hughes, or Heiskanen their likely impact is minimal. Benoit just fell into our lap and he was excellent this series, better than Sandin and Dermott ever were for us.

There's the free agent market. Pesce might be the best option given his handedness and he may be relatively cheap. Tanev is there too but he's up there in age, should've signed him instead of Brodie four years ago. Montour is the big name but he'll probably want to remain in Florida.

Maybe we can use Marner as bait to acquire a defenseman. Again gotta convince him to waive his NMC but they've gotta try.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
How do you get a better defenceman than Rielly?

It's a legitimate question.

Not sign Tavares and sign Pietrangelo?

Not trade all of your first and second picks away like Dubas did?

The few ones that he kept he chose Rasmus Sandin and Roly Poly Olly from Finland who are 5'11 or less?

Dubas could have signed Pietrangelo and traded Marner when he had the chance...alas, it's Dubas we're talking about though...the guy has messed up this Leaf franchise as GM, and will take some shrewd tinkering by Treliving to right the ship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad