MLH - New 3 on 3 league? Saudi backing?

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
I mean...lets be real, this board (and really, the Minor Pro board since there's a fair amount of overlap) shouldn't be surprised a hockey league with big promises died before it got off the ground. Hell, hockey as a sport is probably the largest contributor of those failed leagues overall.

What Dangle should be criticized for is either taking the potentially dirty money on something that obviously wasn't going to pan out, or taking the gambit of directing eyeballs to SDPN considering it is a new sports media company in a country that effectively is boxed out entirely by the big two telcos.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The best** part of social media is that any dingus with a big mouth and lots of hot takes can get a following and then spew out nonsense that has not been ground-truthed. And then, when it turns out to be completely bogus, he can just say 'duh whoops.' Wash, rinse, repeat.

**By "best" I mean "worst." Like how "literally" now literally can mean "not literally."

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
lol, Steve Dangle got completely duped by a fake twitter account. Bro, your channel is way too big to be breaking unverified fake crap like that!

OOF

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So 30 million for a 16 man roster seems completely ridiculous for a brand new league.

The Saudis have invested in some pretty strange things (LIV Gold, the linear city) but pro hockey seems pretty far from their usual areas.

And is it just me, but while 3 on 3 is exciting in small doses, I really don't want to watch entire games of it. There's just so much room it becomes a total possession game with few opportunities for the opposing team to steal the puck.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So 30 million for a 16 man roster seems completely ridiculous for a brand new league.

The Saudis have invested in some pretty strange things (LIV Gold, the linear city) but pro hockey seems pretty far from their usual areas.

And is it just me, but while 3 on 3 is exciting in small doses, I really don't want to watch entire games of it. There's just so much room it becomes a total possession game with few opportunities for the opposing team to steal the puck.

Since it would be a totally new league, they can make some tweaks to the rules. People talk about the half-ice rule, which I think should be there, but since it's starting from scratch I would also add a shot clock the way the NLL does it.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Wikipedia has an odd list of locations as teams, but I don't know where the claim for them is coming from, but I'll default not care if there's no Chicago team.

Screenshot_20240515-111001_Firefox.jpg

Granted, I might not care even if there was a Chicago team, but at least the door would be possibly open.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Wikipedia has an odd list of locations as teams, but I don't know where the claim for them is coming from, but I'll default not care if there's no Chicago team.

View attachment 871169

Granted, I might not care even if there was a Chicago team, but at least the door would be possibly open.

That's taken directly from Dangle's original video.

Some of those are pretty obvious where they'd be. Saskatoon, QC, Hamilton, Omaha, Kansas City, Phoenix. Others could be a couple of places.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad