Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I've never heard a guy get ripped so directly by the Maclean hockey panel. Hrudey in particular, who is usually somewhat understated, was particularly critical. Without a massive turnaround, it's hard not to believe this will be the end of Mitch's time in Toronto, no trade clause or not. And Keefe will be joining him on the bus out of town. It will be interesting to see how Pelley deals with Shanahan. May be end of the line for him too.
There is way, way too much noise around Mitch for him to come back. Even AC1224 isn't getting involved anymore. It is pointless, and the end of the relationship has arrived.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Every year Leafs fans are surprised with Mitch. Marner is an undersized winger - 172 lbs, who can not take the hit. During the playoffs, nobody will protect him. And he is the priority target, because he is the engine of the team. Take Marner out from his game, Leafs are done. That's why first round exits are a common thing. Nothing to see here. Marner for Brady Tkachuk trade, if Ottawa will agree. But I doubt it though.

DONE x 10000000000000 x 10^78

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Crosby literally does the same shit. The fact that, it’s even being highlighted is what’s so dumb about this market. Every little thing is over analyzed
Crosby has earned respect. Why are you struggling with that difference?

People are crying about Marner throwing gloves. He isn’t the first and won’t be the last to. This market is insufferable. Every thing is over analyzed, everything is made a big deal. It’s a small but overlooked part to why the players suck ass and can’t overcome the pressure. Most of it is on the players, you’re paid a shit ton of money and you need to produce. But the fans and the media are obsessed with negativity and love piling on.

Every polarizing player who leaves the leafs has been able to find success and eventually win a cup. There’s something about this market that affects players. It’s becoming more and more clear.

You act like it's just that. Not considering he spent the game avoiding the corners like a plague 😂

Being a soft cry baby.. Ain't gonna win you any fans in hockey

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I'm done with this team if Marner is made the scapegoat.

I love JT but not at the expense of shaking up the big 3. We can't wait out JT's cap hit anymore. It's time to move on. We need better 3rd liners and insulation. I cried every time Nylander had to step out with the bottom 6.

Our bottom 6 is literally a bunch of bandaid players a lottery team would use and then low IQ Robertson who is useless when he doesn't have an open look.

It’s too late, you already know Marner will be the scape goat. Some body has to go, it’s going to be him. I agree change has to happen but man we are def going to miss him when he’s gone unless we get some really strong players back.

But his play has kind of put him in this situation. I wish he played better from game 1.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
It’s too late, you already know Marner will be the scape goat. Some body has to go, it’s going to be him. I agree change has to happen but man we are def going to miss him when he’s gone unless we get some really strong players back.

But his play has kind of put him in this situation. I wish he played better from game 1.
He didn't look his dynamic self yes, but even the announcers pointed out how useless Pasta has been for the Bruins even though he's point per game. Pasta looks so horrible because he can't handle going up against Marners line in the playoffs. He's out matched.

Yet, Pasta's team is still up 3-1. This team entered the season broken and with no goaltending. Management is full of idiots if their conclusion is that trading Marner is the fix.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Give me a f***ing break. Scapegoat my ass.

It’s about for once holding this shit ass core accountable. He has been by FAR the worst of the core and the one that deserves to take the first greyhound out of town.

What exactly are we going to miss? His crying in the penalty box or on the bench? Or maybe you meant his whining about the media and the fans. He’s shit.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

As Biz said, 11 sheets, pathetic. Do you prefer we pay him $12m and pretty much kiss any chance of winning a Cup with Matthews away? I'd gladly resign him for $7m and Tavares for $3m and make them our 3rd line but paying him big bucks again is insanity.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Give me a f***ing break. Scapegoat my ass.

It’s about for once holding this shit ass core accountable. He has been by FAR the worst of the core and the one that deserves to take the first greyhound out of town.

What exactly are we going to miss? His crying in the penalty box or on the bench? Or maybe you meant his whining about the media and the fans. He’s shit.

He has the same amount of goals as our beloved 69 goal scorer LOL. Yet Marner is the main issue. Give me a f***ing break man. There’s enough blame to go around. It ain’t just 1 guy. It’s all of them. You wanna hold this core accountable why aren’t we having media members rip into Matthews? He’s the best goal scorer in the league and can’t score. Marner shouldn’t be off the hook but the disparity in terms of blame is shocking

As Biz said, 11 sheets, pathetic. Do you prefer we pay him $12m and pretty much kiss any chance of winning a Cup with Matthews away? I'd gladly resign him for $7m and Tavares for $3m and make them our 3rd line but paying him big bucks again is insanity.

I’m fine to trade Marner for a defenseman but trading Marner alone isn’t going to solve anything if our top goal scorer can’t score in the playoffs. What I’m saying is people are acting like removing Mitch is going to be the quick fix. It will not be, the problems are deeper than just Marner.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Oh man. You guys deserve what's coming if they actually get rid of Marner.

It will fall in line with the same stupid brute force moves Lou and Dubas did with no actual real thought or in-sight to building a team properly.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He has the same amount of goals as our beloved 69 goal scorer LOL. Yet Marner is the main issue. Give me a f***ing break man. There’s enough blame to go around. It ain’t just 1 guy. It’s all of them. You wanna hold this core accountable why aren’t we having media members rip into Matthews? He’s the best goal scorer in the league and can’t score. Marner shouldn’t be off the hook but the disparity in terms of blame is shocking

I’m fine to trade Marner for a defenseman but trading Marner alone isn’t going to solve anything if our top goal scorer can’t score in the playoffs. What I’m saying is people are acting like removing Mitch is going to be the quick fix. It will not be, the problems are deeper than just Marner.
There is no quick fix. They need to stake a step back and reload next year IMO. I would trade anybody for the right price. That includes Matty for a combination of 3-5 blue chippers and picks.

It will fall in line with the same stupid brute force moves Lou and Dubas did with no actual real thought or in-sight to building a team properly.
Watch the Biz video and tell me you can win with that guy making $12+m. If he signs for a team friendly deal that allows you to add better players, sure but at $12+m, it is suicide.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
There is no quick fix. They need to stake a step back and reload next year IMO. I would trade anybody for the right price. That includes Matty for a combination of 3-5 blue chippers and picks.

I maintain to this day. Trading Marner or Nylander after the Montreal series was the way. Should have traded one of them and kept Hyman

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
He’s playing bad, but to say that he won’t return any value is straight up idiotic. You will have at least 20 teams willing to take Marner and lock him up at 7 or 8 years. He still has value around the league. I’m pretty sure organizations look at him and say in their environment they can get him to have success. It’s basically Kessel 2.0. Slot him in the right situation with the right guys he’ll take off. Toronto is not the right situation clearly.
Not for anything over 10 million. Other teams aren't as stupid as Leafs' Management is.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

It's not strictly about production. That's why Mitch is getting the most heat. His play on and off the puck has been atrocious. Matty might not be producing as much as I'd like but he's not actively hurting the team out there most shifts.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not for anything over 10 million. Other teams aren't as stupid as Leafs' Management is.
He can get $10m on the open market but I think that would be too much for the Leafs. He is clearly not a top 6 player in the playoffs. The Biz video speaks volumes. Even his PK was pathetic in that video. Cut bait. Do not f*** yourself like you did with Nylander. These guys are rotten as a group.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011

I understand what you're saying. An important distinction is the return right?

Let's say we trade him for;
-5th overall pick in the 2024 draft
-Prospect

We receive a high end young blue chip AND we have 11M to spend on players. This opens up a ton of possibilities for us to consider.

After what we've seen annually, why would we want to commit more money to this core four build of stars and scrubs? It's very much regressing not improving. Whether we want to say

1. These guys aren't good enough or
2. They're amazing but can't do it alone

Doesn't matter which is true either explains why we lose. And we're not just getting beat, we're being humiliated. Both lead back to too much cap in 4 guys when we need 22 or 23 man roster. Sinking MORE money into it brings it from bad to worse

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
I understand what you're saying. An important distinction is the return right?

Let's say we trade him for;
-5th overall pick in the 2024 draft
-Prospect

We receive a high end young blue chip AND we have 11M to spend on players. This opens up a ton of possibilities for us to consider.

After what we've seen annually, why would we want to commit more money to this core four build of stars and scrubs? It's very much regressing not improving. Whether we want to say

1. These guys aren't good enough or
2. They're amazing but can't do it alone

Doesn't matter which is true either explains why we lose. And we're not just getting beat, we're being humiliated. Both lead back to too much cap in 4 guys when we need 22 or 23 man roster. Sinking MORE money into it brings it from bad to worse
I'd be pretty surprised if a team that had a 5th overall would trade it for any player let alone Marner . Teams in that position is totally wrong timing to add a guy like Marner . Think Kessel trade .

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
He can get $10m on the open market but I think that would be too much for the Leafs. He is clearly not a top 6 player in the playoffs. The Biz video speaks volumes. Even his PK was pathetic in that video. Cut bait. Do not f*** yourself like you did with Nylander. These guys are rotten as a group.
Oh I don't want him back on this team under any circumstances, I'm just saying if Mitchy and his fanboys think he's going to get paid anywhere near what the Leafs pay him from another team they're sadly mistaken.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I'd be pretty surprised if a team that had a 5th overall would trade it for any player let alone Marner . Teams in that position is totally wrong timing to add a guy like Marner . Think Kessel trade .
Yeah I'm not the best at trade proposals. Bo Horvat netted a 9th overall pick but Mitch's AAV harms his value otherwise i do think we could get a 5th overall. Factoring in his pay makes it complicated

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There is way, way too much noise around Mitch for him to come back. Even AC1224 isn't getting involved anymore. It is pointless, and the end of the relationship has arrived.
Yeah him and Dark Knight, notsince67 or whatever his moniker is, 666, all those guys seem to have nothing to say. Weird.

I was sure that Marner would get a new contract for between 12-13 million but it's starting to feel like maybe that's not a given, we'll see. Still, I wouldn't count on it not happening, and then by November we'll be hearing how Marner is the smartest player ever, the engine of the team, 1st team all-star etc. and if anyone dares to mention the playoffs, they'll be yelled at for being a bunch of Eeyore's and why can't we just enjoy what we're watching this genius who will have statues built for him etc.

The insecurity of these fanboys is only matched by the insecurity of Marner himself. I've never heard anyone so often say that he's a "grown man", it's getting really weird.

It keeps going around in circles, unfortunately it seems like we're circling the toilet bowl and nothing will change until Marner gets flushed. Do it Tre!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad