Player Discussion Mason Lohrei

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
By the end of the year it really seemed he was a complete player besides the stupid mistakes. Last night was an example of Lohrei without mistakes.

And mistakes are gonna happen. It's the nature of someone who plays an aggressive game. Lord knows our two exceptionally highly paid defenseman make a ton of mistakes, and even Carlo who was the best defenseman in the series slipped and cost the Bruins a goal last night.

Mason was just so aggressive and willing to take chances last night, which was amazing especially when so many veterans looks like they were holding their sticks to tight, and afraid to make a mistake

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Honestly he looked like when Krug was thrust into the playoff lineup as a rookie due to injury in 2013 and just looked like a natural star.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013

I've given up prognosticating on these kids. The work that these kids put in to reach this level is mind blowing and I never want to be "right" about a kid who fails to stick as an NHL player. I've been around hockey my whole life and think I know the game pretty well, but if I had commented on Lohrei I would have probably said "fantastic skills, needs more time playing in defensive structure". If I had commented on Brazeau I would have said "love his strength and hands but doesn't have NHL boots". Would have been wrong on both counts. I'd rather just root like hell for two kids who've climbed the ladder in incredibly unlikely ways. Go Bs.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Lohrei played with a lot of confidence, swagger, and was up for the moment instead of being overwhelmed by it.

His defensive zone gaps tend to look off and at times, scare me, especially when the other team is transitioning. He's getting some valuable XP right now and I'm hoping come next season, his positioning will have improved. He's still a young pup in terms of games played as a defenseman, so he's still got a ways to go when learning how to master his position. But he is coming on strong and there's a lot to like.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Defensemen always take longer to develop. I think hes on the right track.

Skating needs some work, and he needs to add some mass. The first pass and shot are pretty solid.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I've given up prognosticating on these kids. The work that these kids put in to reach this level is mind blowing and I never want to be "right" about a kid who fails to stick as an NHL player. I've been around hockey my whole life and think I know the game pretty well, but if I had commented on Lohrei I would have probably said "fantastic skills, needs more time playing in defensive structure". If I had commented on Brazeau I would have said "love his strength and hands but doesn't have NHL boots". Would have been wrong on both counts. I'd rather just root like hell for two kids who've climbed the ladder in incredibly unlikely ways. Go Bs.
Everyone has been wrong from time to time.

Lohrei is the reason I wanted no part of Hanifin. Especially if he was included in the trade. My words when Hanifin talks began "Lohrei will be a better all around defenceman within 3 years."

I could very well be wrong on the time frame.

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
Really, really liked his game as the series progressed. Looked beyond confident with the puck on his stick, looked less overwhelmed defensively. Haven’t seen metrics supporting or negating my observations so I’ll hold back on further platitudes for now.

Reactions: BBruins

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Everyone has been wrong from time to time.

Lohrei is the reason I wanted no part of Hanifin. Especially if he was included in the trade. My words when Hanifin talks began "Lohrei will be a better all around defenceman within 3 years."

I could very well be wrong on the time frame.
Turns out he’s not evolving into a mere top 6 D, he’s evolving into a top 2 right now. Having a kid elevate their game like this in their first playoffs is something to behold

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Alfredo-Linguini-from-the-movie-Ratatouille-3.webp
Chef Linguini with the goal!

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
The goal tonight was nuts, just an absolute rip. That said, he's starting to make a lot of little plays where his skill is coming out and it's really fun to watch. He made a spin move on the blue line tonight you don't see many defensemen make, especially at his size. He's had a few plays in the corner to move the puck quickly up the ice on a couple fake reverses tonight that looked great. I just like his play more and more

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
The goal tonight was nuts, just an absolute rip. That said, he's starting to make a lot of little plays where his skill is coming out and it's really fun to watch. He made a spin move on the blue line tonight you don't see many defensemen make, especially at his size. He's had a few plays in the corner to move the puck quickly up the ice on a couple fake reverses tonight that looked great. I just like his play more and more

He could have easily had 2g 1a...

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad