Post-Game Talk: Jets lose in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think people's reactions to the game last night are more a reflection of themselves and their outlook on the team (and perhaps life in general) than the individual game itself

If I were a negative person, I'd watch that game and notice all the bad things that the Jets did and focus on those

A positive person would look for all the upside from the game and focus on that

Most people are somewhere in the middle and can recognize both the positives and the negatives
There's always good and bad... but here are the consistent and massive problems are seen game in game out

Pionk is awful
Connor doesn't backcheck
Jets have lazy shift changes
Our forecheck has stalled

These are recurring issues for almost two months now

Reactions: Bigfish

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
There's always good and bad... but here are the consistent and massive problems are seen game in game out

Pionk is awful
Connor doesn't backcheck
Jets have lazy shift changes
Our forecheck has stalled

These are recurring issues for almost two months now
Yup. And ehlers turning pucks over at the far blue line. Lots to clean up

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
There seems to be a bit of a narrative around here lately that if you’re down on the Jets you must be a negative person with a negative outlook on life. There also seems to be comments in favour of shutting down discourse questioning why certain decisions are being made in regards to the lineup, systems, and more. Is Joe Blow speculating (on a hockey DISCUSSION forum) on why the Jets are doing or not doing something really worse than being at peace with “well there must be a reason so let’s leave it at that”?

Whether you’re concerned about the Jets or not, I think there’s substance to both sides of the argument and validity to both stances. I don’t really see what’s accomplished by attacking someone’s character over “what kind of fan they are” whether they’re a “doomer” or “cupcakes and rainbow” fan — I’m interested in reading both perspectives and neither opinion is going to make or break someone’s character for me.

Perhaps I’m reading too much into it but I think the rhetoric and discussion points around here lately have honestly been kinda draining to read. Hopefully the Jets start winning again before we have to contract War out here to play a rendition of Why Can’t We Be Friends :)

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
There seems to be a bit of a narrative around here lately that if you’re down on the Jets you must be a negative person with a negative outlook on life. There also seems to be comments in favour of shutting down discourse questioning why certain decisions are being made in regards to the lineup, systems, and more. Is Joe Blow speculating (on a hockey DISCUSSION forum) on why the Jets are doing or not doing something really worse than being at peace with “well there must be a reason so let’s leave it at that”?

Whether you’re concerned about the Jets or not, I think there’s substance to both sides of the argument and validity to both stances. I don’t really see what’s accomplished by attacking someone’s character over “what kind of fan they are” whether they’re a “doomer” or “cupcakes and rainbow” fan — I’m interested in reading both perspectives and neither opinion is going to make or break someone’s character for me.

Perhaps I’m reading too much into it but I think the rhetoric and discussion points around here lately have honestly been kinda draining to read. Hopefully the Jets start winning again before we have to contract War out here to play a rendition of Why Can’t We Be Friends :)
You're definitely reading too much into it. It's just that many people find the constant doom and gloom exhausting. Look at the board traffic last night after the lost. A huge number of us were like "here we go..." and just logged off

This thread has been a good example of constructive conversation about what's ailing the Jets. I might be on "team positive", but I'm not delusional. They aren't playing well. Period. BUT I love talking about why they might not be playing well and ways to fix it. But discussion involves hearing other people's points and actually considering them as valid before responding.

There have been a number of posts on here like "that's it, I'm done with this team" and "if bones isn't going to realize Ehlers should be on the top line, I won't pay attention anymore". Who needs that shit? That's not a discussion

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Trouble is that's not a game changing problem... the other four are
Yes, turnovers at either blueline are 100% game changing problems, especially vs teams that transition and counterattack well

one ofnthe first things that coaches drill into Players regarding puck management at high levels is "pucks out, pucks deep"

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Except down the line people post these things like they are established facts since they read them somewhere at sometime. This place is a huge gossip fest at times that would put a group of middle schoolers to shame.
This 100%

People want a simple explanation when things aren't going well so they can just fix it

Go back a few thousand years, and the best possible explanation for why it isn't raining is because we haven't sacrificed enough virgins
We believed it because we kept sacrificing virgins under that premise until it rained and the the priest said "see, we just needed to sacrifice more virgins!"

Now it's the same thing but the premise that some have grasped onto is "we're not winning because these two players don't spend less than 25% of rhe game on the ice at the same time together"

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
This 100%

People want a simple explanation when things aren't going well so they can just fix it

Go back a few thousand years, and the best possible explanation for why it isn't raining is because we haven't sacrificed enough virgins
We believed it because we kept sacrificing virgins under that premise until it rained and the the priest said "see, we just needed to sacrifice more virgins!"

Now it's the same thing but the premise that some have grasped onto is "we're not winning because these two players don't spend less than 25% of rhe game on the ice at the same time together"
Well now I know why its rains so much here in Vancouver.:laugh:

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Those that watch and follow the Moose does Tyrel Bauer have a shot at making the Jets in the future?
At 6'3 207 lbs this is what the Jets need to beef up their D core.

• Wow
Reactions: macmaroon

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This 100%

One hell of a circle when this all started with your ass speculating

Those that watch and follow the Moose does Tyrel Bauer have a shot at making the Jets in the future?
At 6'3 207 lbs this is what the Jets need to beef up their D core.

He has a chance to be a nuclear option :laugh:. Maybe for a playoff run

Not sure of this gibberish response

Oh sorry you said "high danger", I forgot who I was talking about.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
As I mentionned in a different post, Dallas Colorado and Nashville all played 3 fewer games than us in March and they all had at least 3 separate 2 day breaks this month (and one had an additional 3 day break). They all also had fewer back to backs

Then look at Dallas's schedule in February. It was similar to ours... 13 games in 23 days. They only won 6. Same with the Avs in December..

I'd argue that less rest is even tougher on players at this stage if the season than it was at the start
Why don’t we just give really good rests to our starters and let the chips fall where they may for the last 10 games. Call up some players who have something to prove.
We were winning with some of our stars out so if we’re not in danger of missing the playoffs, give the stars a good rest before the playoffs.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
One hell of a circle when this all started with your ass speculating

He has a chance to be a nuclear option :laugh:. Maybe for a playoff run

Oh sorry you said "high danger", I forgot who I was talking about.
What does that post have to do with me speculating? Exactly what have I speculated? The term doesn't show up once in there. There isn't even a speculation there

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018

Thank you.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Only if it's from the correct players at the right time from the sources you #trust. Otherwise numbers bad.
Portraying me like I am some kind of Ehlers sycohpant or that I'm distorting data without posting any of your own data doesn't make a lot of sense.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Actually high danger giveaways are very often game changing problems.
That is correct however it's not the main problem for the Jets right now and aside from pionk, it's not specific to ehlers or connor etc...

Pionks complete game is the problem right now. Connors absence of backchecking is a real problem right now...

I find it ironic that the posters talking about how we can't discuss hockey logically anymore are the ones creating this kind of 'ehlers vs everyone' conspirscy... it's weird.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Why don’t we just give really good rests to our starters and let the chips fall where they may for the last 10 games. Call up some players who have something to prove.
We were winning with some of our stars out so if we’re not in danger of missing the playoffs, give the stars a good rest before the playoffs.
Then you've got the "rust" argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad