I'm EMBARRASSED

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They've been given the license to do so. Talk-shit has worked these dumbf*** officials around his finger. It might be too late for Edmonton but I doubt it works vs a league darling.

They need to play like they did vs LA, not turn the cheek but pick their spots. And they need Pickard to give them average goaltending
I agree but Vancouver is not LA.
They are bigger and tougher and have more skill.
They are a better team and they have a better coach.

Here is a more ciritical look at things...

The teams best dman (Ekholm) got absolutely dummined in the first 30 seconds of the game on Sunday. Vancouver seems to be ready and more committed to the cause from the get go.
This team isnt for some reason.
Zadorov is doing what he wants out there (hammered Kane). The Oilers dont seem to have an answer for Joshua either.

Not a single player that was traded for at the dealine has made a difference in this series. Those moves were supposed to improve the team. When it counts they havent pissed a drop and that includes Perry.
Knoblauch apparently has to play McDavid and Draisaitl almost 30 minutes a game just so the team has a chance to win. That either speaks volumes of the lack of depth on this team or the coaches lack of confidence in that depth.
Then there is the goaltending. It has to be better as well.

A lot has to change for this team to win this series and it has to change in short order.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
I agree but Vancouver is not LA.
They are bigger and tougher and have more skill.
They are a better team and they have a better coach.

Here is a more ciritical look at things...

The teams best dman (Ekholm) got absolutely dummined in the first 30 seconds of the game on Sunday.
Zadorov is doing what he wants out there (hammered Kane). The Oilers dont seem to have an answer for Joshua either.

Not a single player that was traded for at the dealine has made a difference in this series. Those moves were supposed to improve the team. When it counts they havent pissed a drop.
Knoblauch apparently has to play McDavid and Draisaitl almost 30 minutes a game just so the team has a chance to win. That either speaks volumes of the lack of depth on this team or the coahces lack of confidence in that depth.
Then there is the goaltending. It has to be better as well.

A lot has to change for this team to win this series and it has to change in short order.

I'm not drinking the Canucks koolaid. They've been the better team, sure. They've definitely been the more fortunate team. But the Oilers have not at all been playing to their potential, and have outplayed them 2 out of 3 games. Shit goaltending and officials ready to call everything for the Canucks and nothing for the Oilers have had a big impact on the play of the skaters. A passive / placid coach has not helped either. Canucks winning this series would be an absolute coup and they will get exposed by a team that is more consistent

Regarding the bolded, I totally agree. But what can we expect from a player when he's in the pressbox? Carrick had some rough games vs LA but can't draw back in over some of the more useless bottom 6 guys? Stecher has not even been given a remote chance and has looked better than Ceci every time he's played. What gives? Does the coach make the roster decisions?

This team has shown the ability to play at an elite level. Consistency is the problem once again. They have more depth than they've ever had and here we are.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm not drinking the Canucks koolaid. They've been the better team, sure. They've definitely been the more fortunate team. But the Oilers have not at all been playing to their potential, and have outplayed them 2 out of 3 games. Shit goaltending and officials ready to call everything for the Canucks and nothing for the Oilers have had a big impact on the play of the skaters. A passive / placid coach has not helped either. Canucks winning this series would be an absolute coup and they will get exposed by a team that is more consistent

Regarding the bolded, I totally agree. But what can we expect from a player when he's in the pressbox? Carrick had some rough games vs LA but can't draw back in over some of the more useless bottom 6 guys? Stecher has not even been given a remote chance and has looked better than Ceci every time he's played. What gives? Does the coach make the roster decisions?

This team has shown the ability to play at an elite level. Consistency is the problem once again. They have more depth than they've ever had and here we are.
I dont see it as Canucks koolaid...hate them or not they are a very good team. Their GM did a good job building that team. Our GM didnt. For example...they have a 3rd string goalie that has performed better than the Oilers 1st string. Just imagine if an elite goalie like Demko was in the net.
Oh yeah...and the Oilers 3rd string goalie is Jack F**king Campbell.
Not nearly good enough.
Pisses me off to think about how Holland sewered the team with that $5M signing.

Regarding the depth...
It feeds into what I am saying...the reason why players like Carrick and Stecher are not playing is because the coach doesnt have enough confidence in them. It is pretty clear based on the TOI distribution that he doesnt have enough confidence in 20% of his forwards.
This team has to be able to play Connor and Leon for half the game to have this team play at an elite level against a team in the 2nd round of the playoffs.
That is not a realistic long term strategy.

You need a deep team to win the SC. This team isnt deep and we see more evidence of that as this series rolls along. Unless that changes (some depth players step up right away) and Pickard can be at least average and the team can commit to the cause at the same level as the Canucks this team wont win this series IMO.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
I dont see it as Canucks koolaid...hate them or not they are a very good team. Their GM did a good job building that team. Our GM didnt. For example...they have a 3rd string goalie that has performed better than the Oilers 1st string. Just imagine if an elite goalie like Demko was in the net.
Not nearly good enough.
Pisses me off to think about how Holland sewered the team with that $5M signing.

Regarding the depth...
It feeds into what I am saying...the reason why players like Carrick and Stecher are not playing is because the coach doesnt have enough confidence in them. It is pretty clear based on the TOI distribution that he doesnt have enough confidence in 20% of his forwards.
This team has to be able to play Connor and Leon for half the game to have this team play at an elite level against a team in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

You need a deep team to win the SC. This team isnt deep and we see more evidence of that as this series rolls along. Unless that changes (some depth players step up right away) and Pickard can be at least average and the team can commit to the cause at the same level as the Canucks this team wont win this series IMO.

We’re going to agree to disagree at this point. Cheers

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Not nearly good enough.

Regarding the depth...

This organization is absolutely allergic at trying young guys and sticking them in positions to potentially succeed, such as lines 1 or 2. Even if it means a few road bumps.

Soon as a bump happens -> down to the minors. Give them a goddamn minute.

Meanwhile teams are finding discount gems all over because they actually let their talent play with talent and not work their way up from line 4 and "if you f*** up, down with ye!"

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
So lets just look at the depth then...do you think that playing Connor and Leon for almost 30 minutes a game is sustainable?

No, it isn't. The coach has options that he refuses to use. He is scared to play any but his best 5 players because he can't just rely on a saw off with a sieve in net

I'm not sure if Pickard is the answer, I hope he is. But Skinner has sewered this series to this point. He is the #1 reason they are down 2-1

This organization is absolutely allergic at trying young guys and sticking them in positions to potentially succeed, such as lines 1 or 2. Even if it means a few road bumps.

Soon as a bump happens -> down to the minors. Give them a goddamn minute.

Meanwhile teams are finding discount gems all over because they actually let their talent play with talent and not work their way up from line 4 "and if you f*** up, down with ye!"

Agreed. The drafting can be blamed for sure, but the development has been abysmal. Broberg got jerked around for two seasons now, and so has Holloway (the injury making it worse). Young players in Bakersfield don't seem to be put in positions to succeed, the coach is more focused on winning than development

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No, it isn't. The coach has options that he refuses to use. He is scared to play any but his best 5 players because he can't just rely on a saw off with a sieve in net

I'm not sure if Pickard is the answer, I hope he is. But Skinner has sewered this series to this point. He is the #1 reason they are down 2-1
I think that Knoblauch has a pretty good sense of whats available to him. His judement is pretty damn good as well.
I mean who in the middle 6 has stepped up so far? Nuge? Kane? Perry? McLeod? Foegele?

What options does he have?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
So lets just look at the depth then...do you think that playing Connor and Leon for almost 30 minutes a game is sustainable?
TBH, I do think its sustainable as long as they aren't on the same line. If you run lines 1 and 2 for 50m, you can win a lot of games. These guys are about to have 3 months off, sustainability is largely irrelevant in the late stages of the 2nd round. Especially when they just came off 9 days of rest.

We have 3-4 people actively ruining us each game. The Canucks aren't very good, we've seen an 82 game sample size of their middling possession stats. They got vezina goaltending for 50 games and oish% deviations above normal. The last 25 games of the season they ranged from average to putrid, but they had enough of a lead from their scorcher to hold onto first.

If foegele, Nurse, ceci, and our goalie get their head out of their collective asses, we win this series walking away. You don't need your depth to score a lot when shots are 40-18 and you control the puck for 45 minutes.

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
TBH, I do think its sustainable as long as they aren't on the same line. If you run lines 1 and 2 for 50m, you can win a lot of games. These guys are about to have 3 months off, sustainability is largely irrelevant in the late stages of the 2nd round. Especially when they just came off 9 days of rest.

We have 3-4 people actively ruining us each game. The Canucks aren't very good, we've seen an 82 game sample size of their middling possession stats. They got vezina goaltending for 50 games and oish% deviations above normal. The last 25 games of the season they ranged from average to putrid, but they had enough of a lead from their scorcher to hold onto first.

If foegele, Nurse, ceci, and our goalie get their head out of their collective asses, we win this series walking away. You don't need your depth to score a lot when shots are 40-18 and you control the puck for 45 minutes.
I agree with you on the bolded.
They have to play on seperate lines and just doing that will reduce their minutes as well.

This team needs some players to step up and they need to step up now...not tomorrow.

Reactions: North Cole

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011

Regarding the bolded, this is what a most of their fans, media and those in this fanbase scared shitless of them are forgetting. They are too focused on that the Canucks keep 1st in division (barely), and that they’re having a real NHL goaltending performance whereas the Oilers have not

It’s really those 4 players that have been the worst culprits and they are costing the team

Reactions: North Cole

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Agreed. The drafting can be blamed for sure, but the development has been abysmal. Broberg got jerked around for two seasons now, and so has Holloway (the injury making it worse). Young players in Bakersfield don't seem to be put in positions to succeed, the coach is more focused on winning than development
Then some player says "f*** this" and gets traded to Arizona for pennies and lo and behold he was decent the whole time!

Kesselring would have been a 800k upgrade on Ceci. But again this organization never knows what it has.

Reactions: guymez and Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
Then some player says "f*** this" and gets traded to Arizona for pennies and lo and behold he was decent the whole time!

Kesselring would have been a 800k upgrade on Ceci. But again this organization never knows what it has.

Broberg might end up the next one. He had requested a trade because he wasn’t getting any minutes. Hopefully that ends next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad