Post-Game Talk: Gonna Stu on this loss for a while

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
GNbxowcWwAEsNud

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It is right in my toolhouse. I understand the concept and have read up on Skinners approach and who he had as mentors.

This appealed to him because it gave him apparent control over his reactions. Stopped thinking about failure etc. Positive mental thoughts.

In anycase Skinner is no philosopher and I'm not sure he's even a sharp pencil. this tool wielded by him is likely something he comprehends only partially and not dynamically. i'e. he has limited mental approach and toolsets to the negation of others. Sounds actually like a lot of his game. halfbaked.

Don't take this the wrong way but its interesting even that theres been so much focus on Skinner in the press that we know so many details about him. We know as much about his voyage to here than the real superstars like McDrai. The media really seem to talk up a big story line about Skinner.

My take on Skinner is he's the kind of guy that reads a few books and thinks he knows a subject area entirely. His greatest gift seems in convincing others how hard they should work on his behalf. Charmed life if you can get it. So many of his backers in hockey that say they saw so much in him and wanted so much for him to succeed. It starts being about Skinners greatest asset is being convincing, rather than being skilled. if you follow what I'm saying.

I think from the press point of view theres a fascination with players that come from ECHL or nowhere. Its a good story but man do the press write a lot about him. As if he's the greatest player on the team...Its possible that he's the best at self promotion. I think even probable.
I'm always leary about self-help stuff and people looking for and clinging to such often case to solve things. That's a bit of my skepticism frankly that it was a big part of the Skinner mythology as his story unfolded. And it is a big story because firstly a guy pegged to onboard as an NHL back-up and establish himself over seasons as a good #2 had to rocket up his game to a go-to #1 when Campbell melted down quickly into an early first season sabattical. Secondly he's a hometown kid done well and at this critical time and in answering this team's longstanding issue. Thirdly a success for an organization that has botched its goaltending through a ten year cycle of ineffective drafting and development and reliance on trying to re-purpose old, broken down goaltenders.

There's been lots of sunshine to report on. But the hard stuff has landed in a results driven business. He's not delivered the average goaltending low threshold this team has asked of him here in money time.

I personally don't think there are any falseness to Skinner. Just a guy still trying to hard to hold onto a slippery belief system fostered by an external medium within the hottest seat on the hottest flame of expectation of a team starting to burn through the daylight of a short window to achieve ultimate success. Well intended guy but shit is now fully real.

EDIT: My own impression (and we don't have access to any of these people to truly know) is of more naivety, almost an innocent wonderment with his viewpoint of life, humble and open book versus how you perceive him. Deep down the rabbit hole here. Hope he can stabilize himself after what I expect will be a back-up role for game 4.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Knob needs to say McDavid is a game time decision because of that cross check, that’s the only way you could get the league to think about suspending them.
The league doesn’t care. Eastern time zone viewers and league officials are all tucked into bed when the puck is dropped in his games.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Yup. I've never seen an Oilers team content to turn the other cheek, like never. Meanwhile Rutherford transformed the Canucks into a big, physical defense over the course of last off-season and in-season raiding of the minor pro Calgary franchise. Tocchet has them playing an alleyfight, greasy game to go with their skill.

Oilers have a lot of cerebral types and could use a few meat eaters like Kostin and Kassian. Tough functional players pay dividends when the second season comes and the game style gets unrelentingly harder and contested.
Man I miss both those players, would be nice to have them in the playoffs instead of the butter we've got. Kassian shows how it's done RAGDOLLING hahaha

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I feel worse. With average NHL goaltending we win this one handily, granted a lot of that is the score effect.
With sub par goaltending we are up 3-0 to he honest

We have been the better team atleast 7 of the 10 periods played.

Getting annoyed with the Canucks and the imagine if demko played blah blah. Coz there goaltending is the only reason they are up right now anyways

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
For whatever reason the team was not nearly as ready to play as Vancouver was to start the game. Has to be some heat on the coach, the energy was not on Vancouver’s level and the mistakes were glaring. When you have a goalie that can’t cover mistakes it’s a major issue. They woke up and controlled play the last 2 periods but the damage was done already, too late.

The team is the same every year in the playoffs. Great power play, one line show, stupid mental lapses, poor defensive play, lousy goaltending. Every year because of the love for McDavid and Drai they enter as one of the favorites and end up crashing and burning because of the same weaknesses. And every year the weaknesses are not addressed properly by the GM, it’s wash rinse repeat. They may still win this series, though I wouldn’t bet on it. Dallas or Colorado would wipe the floor with them.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Again...how many wide open uncontested shots in the low slot did the Canucks give up to the Oilers top goal scorers?
How about none.
Uncontested is the point of what I am saying here. Almost always a stick or a body in the lane or pressure forced a shot quicker reducing the chances of getting a good shot away.

Not saying that the Oilers didnt deserve to win. Also not saying that Skinner didnt play bad.
He did.
Also not saying that Silovs didnt play well...he did.

That Boeser chance was golden though. Their top goal scorer has tons of time and gets to walk in to the low slot completely uncontested and pick a corner.
He had all the time in the world. Nobody even close to him. Monumental breakdown.
Drai had 2 breakaways

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
You get a post, and you get a post. Everyone gets a post.

4 goals against on 15 shots is ugly. Worse, it's one of those situations where none were outright blameable on the goalie: Lindholm scored two from the blueprint (tip and a rebound), neither had a defenceman within an arm's length; Boeser all the time in the world alone in the slot, and a braindead turnover from Foegele lead to Boeser again alone in tight.

It's tough to put it on Skinner, but you have to have at least one of those and steal a goal against, bud.

The one silverlining there is this more or less forces some changes. Vinny looked injured and only played 10 min. So he might be out for a bit. Unfortunate, as I would have preferred to have Ceci sit. Still, judging by the fact Nurse-Ceci once again played limited minutes (Ceci didn't even crack 16min), I think that pairing is also done. So...

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stecher
Kulak-Ceci

Hell, I'd think long and hard about moving Kulak up to Nurse's pairing, and going with Broberg-Stecher as the 3rd pairing.

Up front, I'd be really tempted to sit Forgele for that brain-dead turnover. It's tough to sit a middle 6er with Henrique already out, but that was just inexcusable. Considering the lack of offence, I wonder if Gags or Lavoie might get a look.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Going to say this respectfully. I totally get the anger at Skinner the goaltender. I'm totally pissed too and feel he is letting down this team. Just feel the anger and frustration on fan boards doesn't need to slip into personal attacks on him or any player. Dissecting his game is fair target but why not leave the personal attacks to other fanbases?

Not trying to single you out. Just an edge in tone that creeps into our emotional reaction which goes a bit too far at times to the fanatic in sports fan, imo.
Skinner is a piece of shit.

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
You get a post, and you get a post. Everyone gets a post.

4 goals against on 15 shots is ugly. Worse, it's one of those situations where none were outright blameable on the goalie: Lindholm scored two from the blueprint (tip and a rebound), neither had a defenceman within an arm's length; Boeser all the time in the world alone in the slot, and a braindead turnover from Foegele lead to Boeser again alone in tight.

It's tough to put it on Skinner, but you have to have at least one of those and steal a goal against, bud.

The one silverlining there is this more or less forces some changes. Vinny looked injured and only played 10 min. So he might be out for a bit. Unfortunate, as I would have preferred to have Ceci sit. Still, judging by the fact Nurse-Ceci once again played limited minutes (Ceci didn't even crack 16min), I think that pairing is also done. So...

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stecher
Kulak-Ceci

Hell, I'd think long and hard about moving Kulak up to Nurse's pairing, and going with Broberg-Stecher as the 3rd pairing.

Up front, I'd be really tempted to sit Forgele for that brain-dead turnover. It's tough to sit a middle 6er with Henrique already out, but that was just inexcusable.
We could have Prong and Nedemyer on the back end and still not win with not my fault Skinner in net.

When the other team can score 4 a game from anywhere on the ice it doesn’t matter

Not my fault Skinner is the biggest fraud in the league.

You aren’t unlucky to have his playoffs numbers

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We could have Prong and Nedemyer on the back end and still not win with not my fault Skinner in net.

When the other team can score 4 a game from anywhere on the ice it doesn’t matter

Not my fault Skinner is the biggest fraud in the league.

You aren’t unlucky to have his playoffs numbers
You want Skinner to get hurt. Nothing you say has any merit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad