Explain/discuss this. Habs have 6 D in the top 20 for Giveaways/60

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Interesting find and wondering how/why and what can we do to improve?

Kova, Matheson, Xhekaj, Barron, Savard, Guhle all in the top 20 in giveaways/60. Over the last two seasons with min 50 games played.

Has to be a system problem and lack of depth up the middle?

wFCfAq9.png

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Interesting to see the difference between home and away games.

Home giveaways/60:

Kovacevic: 4.07
Matheson: 2.95
Xhekaj: 3.04
Barron: 3.20
Savard: 3.53
Guhle: 3.07

Away giveaways/60:

Kovacevic: 1.55
Matheson: 1.38
Xhekaj: 1.56
Barron: 1.36
Savard: 1.12
Guhle: 0.61

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Home giveaways/60:

Away giveaways/60:

Very interesting in terms of the difference.

The difference Home and Away makes me think we have a very generous counter in town. How many Habs are topX if you only count away games?

That thought ran through my mind as well. Someone has to talk to that person if it's the same person. That's quite a difference between road/home where you don't get match-up advantage on the road.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Home giveaways/60:

Away giveaways/60:

Looks like there could be a discrepancy with how these stats are tracked between venues. I remember reading a number of years ago that certain buildings counted hits much more liberally than others, perhaps that's the case here as well with giveaways.

Regardless, I'm not surprised to see several players high on this list. It is a young d-core on a rebuilding team with lots of players playing over their heads in the lineup.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The difference Home and Away makes me think we have a very generous counter in town. How many Habs are topX if you only count away games?
Habs have been top 5 worst (as a team) in giveaway most seasons since 2008. That spawn multiple coaches, systems and dmens. Generous counters at the Bell Center is the only way I can see that being explained.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Kova, Matheson, Xhekaj, Barron, Savard, Guhle all in the top 20 in giveaways/60. Over the last two seasons with min 50 games played.

wFCfAq9.png
Weak Fwd back checking - Aaron Ward mentioned during the year, the analytics company he works for has clear data showing Habs were bottom-3 in the league for yielding Dzone entries & odd man rushes

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fwd back checking - Aaron Ward mentioned during the year, the analytics company he works for has clear data showing Habs were bottom-3 in the league for yielding Dzone entries & odd man rushes

There are a few areas that need to improve if we are sniffing at any wild card spot next year. It's deeper than just youth development and point totals.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Habs have been top 5 worst (as a team) in giveaway most seasons since 2008. That spawn multiple coaches, systems and dmens. Generous counters at the Bell Center is the only way I can see that being explained.

I remember this being explained on RDS a long long time ago, likely around 2008-2010.

The stats counters at the Bell Center are more generous on giveaways than most arenas.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Home giveaways/60:

Away giveaways/60:

Home giveaways/60:

Away giveaways/60:

Seem clear to me that there isn’t any significant difference in giveaways home vs. Away clearly the stat guy in Montréal is way better or worst than every where else… Also not all turn over are equal.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Teams stats should tell a better story.

For 2023-24

Home games
499 gva (4th)
226 tka (30th)

Away games
251 gva (16th)
237 tka (26th)

Well, no, it doesn't make more sense. Obviously, there are big discrepencies between arenas. But it doesn't explain why the Habs are 30th in tka at home if the Bell Center is being so generous with this stats.

Reactions: Canadienna

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
This is pretty serious. If MSL does not address that side of the ice convincingly, he needs a better assistant coach who can shore that up. Though part of the problem is lack of forward talent, where the team spends most of its time defending. They also need an analytics expert who can parse the disparity between home and away performances.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Rapala

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I blame stupid Burrows for everything, guys a mouth breather

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Weak Fwd back checking - Aaron Ward mentioned during the year, the analytics company he works for has clear data showing Habs were bottom-3 in the league for yielding Dzone entries & odd man rushes
It's not like we haven't harped on this all season long. For the former it's noticeable when anyone stands up at the blue line at all; thank you Arber Xhekaj. Regarding the latter awful giveaways at the opposing blue or simple poor puck management and decision making are at fault. There are some basic fundamentals that have to be enforced next year if this team wants to become serious. It starts with the vets playing the right way.

Reactions: ReHabs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think at this point, with this particular group we are just a young D corps. And our two vets are also turnover machines, so................
I did notice later in the year, it seemed to get much better, and the entire d corps was much better at less turnovers, and moving out of our end.

I am not conivnced the style of play MSL is wanting them to play, is the way to go. We never seem to have the puck, and we run around in our end......hate that man to man crap in our own end.....

Reactions: Milhouse40

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think at this point, with this particular group we are just a young D corps. And our two vets are also turnover machines, so................
I did notice later in the year, it seemed to get much better, and the entire d corps was much better at less turnovers, and moving out of our end.

I am not conivnced the style of play MSL is wanting them to play, is the way to go. We never seem to have the puck, and we run around in our end......hate that man to man crap in our own end.....

You're correct. From Jan 1s+, only Kova is in the top 20 in giveaways/60. It improved and you better bet the Habs management noticed that trend as well. That's with no filter of games. If I set it to 20 games, Kova is 1st, Struble is 8th, Savard is 17. Matheson improved to 25th.

Hutson with his 2 games is in the top 20 mix though. His giveaways/60 was a whopping 5.28 but at the same time, his takeaways were also impressive at 3.96.

I really do think Struble, Hutson, Reinbacher should start in the AHL. Let them work on both ends of the game in high usage in the AHL. Add Engstrom and you got a good top 4 mix for Laval.

If no changes (boring yes) but this is what I think we do to start the new season.
Matheson / Guhle
Harris / Savard
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Barron, Kova

Barron, Harris, Mailloux alternate in/out.

Struble, Hutson, Reinbacher, Engstrom in the AHL.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
A lot of these stats go hand in hand with overall performance and probably correlates with game patterns (falling behind early for example). It would be a mistake to deduce from these stats that giveaways are the cause of bad performance and that this can be rectified independently of overall performance. More wins, more goals, will naturally bring down this number.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
It's not like we haven't harped on this all season long. For the former it's noticeable when anyone stands up at the blue line at all; thank you Arber Xhekaj. Regarding the latter awful giveaways at the opposing blue or simple poor puck management and decision making are at fault. There are some basic fundamentals that have to be enforced next year if this team wants to become serious. It starts with the vets playing the right way.
How can you rebuild and call it successful if you don't have basic fundamentals down pat?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Giveaway takeaway stats are wildly different from arena to arena. They can't be trusted.

Depends on how deep you trust it (like +/-). With our situation, it does kind of fit with the giveaways/60. We are in the bottom 5 in team D and our D is young.

I'd take it with a grain of salt vs going all out and not using it at all. ;)

A lot of these stats go hand in hand with overall performance and probably correlates with game patterns (falling behind early for example). It would be a mistake to deduce from these stats that giveaways are the cause of bad performance and that this can be rectified independently of overall performance. More wins, more goals, will naturally bring down this number.

Youth has an effect on this no doubt. We are asking our young D to play important roles and there has been some movement in terms of consistent pairings (injury factor).

It should improve but I was surprised to see how bad we were in this area though.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

wFCfAq9.png

Or maybe it's just that we have one of the youngest D in the league and our vets are covering for them too.

Barron, Guhle, Xhekaj and Struble are all in the Top 20 of the youngest D in the NHL (40+games)

1715693872763.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad