Draft Lottery - May 7th @ 6:30 ET, ESPN (upd: #1 SJS, #2 CHI, #3 ANA)

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
This is a huge step forward for the Sharks. They actually have a bright future now with Celebrini, Smith, Musty, Havelid, Bystedt, Halttunen, Robins, Bordeleau, and youngsters Eklund, Ferraro, Okhotiuk, and Thrun already there. One more top 5 pick next year and they are golden.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
This is a huge step forward for the Sharks. They actually have a bright future now with Celebrini, Smith, Musty, Havelid, Bystedt, Halttunen, Robins, Bordeleau, and youngsters Eklund, Ferraro, Okhotiuk, and Thrun already there. One more top 5 pick next year and they are golden.

Okhotiuk has been traded to Calgary this season.
And Ferraro at 25 probably isn't a youngster (and isn't good).

But your point stands true. I'd add Edstrom and Cagnoni to the prospects list though.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

But your point stands true. I'd add Edstrom and Cagnoni to the prospects list though.
Mukhamadullin is likely going to be better than all the players listed in that post except Celebrini and Smith

Reactions: Rob Brown

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Edstrom as a big #3 center would be solid

Reactions: Dread Clawz

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Realistically not all of them will turn out to be nhlers or hit their ceilings. Have to balance between being bad in the standings for the draft position and creating an environment to develop your prospects when they are nhl ready.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
It felt like destiny since Celebrini's dad works for Golden State and all, kind of like us last year felt like destiny.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Sharks gonna be sick up front with Celebrini, Will Smith, Bystedt, Edstrom, Halttunen, Musty, Eklund, Graf and Bordeleau.

Development is needed, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Celebrini back with Boston U next season and Will Smith back with Boston C along with most of the players mentioned above in AHL, CHL or SHL.
99.99% chance Celebrini signs a Sharks ELC a week or two after the draft. 75% chance Smith signs a Sharks ELC this offseason, maybe even as early as this month.

Neither have anything to prove in the NCAA. It's just their colleges want them to "Run it back", that's it. But from a career perspective, why risk injury in NCAA now? They will sign ELC's this season.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
99.99% chance Celebrini signs a Sharks ELC a week or two after the draft. 75% chance Smith signs a Sharks ELC this offseason, maybe even as early as this month.

Neither have anything to prove in the NCAA. It's just their colleges want them to "Run it back", that's it. But from a career perspective, why risk injury in NCAA now? They will sign ELC's this season.
Definitely hoping both of them sign. I thought I heard a rumour/speculation that Smith was planning on going back to BC, but I guess not?

Assume Musty plays in the AHL next year? Or does he need to go back to the OHL for another year?

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Definitely hoping both of them sign. I thought I heard a rumour/speculation that Smith was planning on going back to BC, but I guess not?

Assume Musty plays in the AHL next year? Or does he need to go back to the OHL for another year?
Smith going back to college was still up in the air. I think with Celebrini likely to come to NHL it would encourage Smith to come too. Either way, both could go back to college if they really wanted, but not sure either will benefit from a development standpoint.

As for Musty, I think it's still OHL or NHL... Assuming it's still 20 at January 1 or 4 seasons of CHL, he wouldn't be eligible for AHL. Happy to be corrected as I'm not entirely sure.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Not that I disagree with your premise but I feel like you're more likely to get injured in the NHL as a rookie than in the NCAA.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

Happy that the Sharks won. Celebrini is really a cornerstone piece for their rebuild.

The only issue I see with the prospect pool is that they don't have much on defence.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Was clearly hoping we got it but good for the Sharks. Better then Chicago getting it. Can’t wait to add the 3rd overall to this team.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Right team won it.

Those great Sharks teams had an extended period as a perennial contender.

A cornerstone player like Celebrini will help their rebuild.

My two teams are the Sharks and the Blue Jackets. I was in the Bay Area when the Sharks arrived and then I've been in Columbus for 18 years now, so my loyalty is about 51-49 Sharks now. While I would have loved to seen him end up playing for the club where I can walk to see him play, I think going to San Jose, a team always went for it but fell just short versus a team that can't seem to get it right after 20 years seems fair.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I made this for fun, Each draw with chance of winning as the order number are 10-2-7 and 11

TeamInitial1st Draw2nd Draw3rd DrawWinner
SJS
18.5%​
18.9%​
15.2%​
45.5%​
100.0%​
CHI
13.5%​
13.0%​
21.2%​
9.1%​
0.0%​
ANA
11.5%​
11.2%​
12.1%​
0.0%​
0.0%​
CBJ
9.5%​
9.8%​
7.6%​
0.0%​
0.0%​
MTL
8.5%​
7.0%​
6.1%​
0.0%​
0.0%​
UTA
7.5%​
6.7%​
4.5%​
9.1%​
0.0%​
OTT
6.5%​
8.1%​
7.6%​
9.1%​
0.0%​
SEA
6.0%​
6.0%​
9.1%​
9.1%​
0.0%​
CGY
5.0%​
4.2%​
1.5%​
0.0%​
0.0%​
BUF
3.0%​
2.5%​
3.0%​
0.0%​
0.0%​
PHI
2.5%​
2.5%​
4.5%​
0.0%​
0.0%​
MIN
2.0%​
2.8%​
3.0%​
18.2%​
0.0%​
NJD
3.5%​
4.2%​
3.0%​
0.0%​
0.0%​
PIT
1.5%​
1.4%​
1.5%​
0.0%​
0.0%​
DET
0.5%​
1.1%​
0.0%​
0.0%​
0.0%​
STL
0.5%​
0.7%​
0.0%​
0.0%​
0.0%​

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
So the hawks lose lottery ability for the next 3 years right? I totally forget how that rule works
No, the Blackhawks were slotted #2 before the draft and they are picking #2. Picking 1 or 2 only countsd for 2 in 5 year rule if you advance your position.

Neither SJ #1 pick or Chicago #2 pick count against the 2 in 5 years count becuase neither advanced their pre-slotted position.

JonathnTaylorTavares

Feb 4, 2019
The fact Cellebrini has Bay Area ties makes this all the more special
Its true, they found this Bay Area tie in his closet

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad