Do most fan bases know/care who their team's president is?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I would gather most don't. Leaf fans just want as many people to blame as possible. If it is Shanny's fault the team did what it did, then why have a GM?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Sharks and Habs, can't think offhand who they are. I think the Leafs are "different" because they made their organizational structure so public as if they were reinventing the wheel.

EDIT: Gorton for the Habs. I'm stupid.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Leafs fans should feel lucky that Shanny isn't as omnipresent as Raps' president Masai Ujiri.

I don't even know what Raps (alleged) GM Bobby Webster looks like. He may not even exist, it's just Masai doing everything all the time for that team. :laugh:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I don't know who the Preds president is.

I might know if I lived in the Nashville area.

The local guy, for the Admirals, I have spoken to a few times, including when the current owner purchased the club in 2004.

I asked him why so many AHL refs are terrible this year? That was mid season.

The refs were so bad for playoff Game 3 that I asked if the team had extra security (in case the fans attacked the refs or rioted). That was last Wednesday night after the first period. He said yes.

The refs were bad in period 2 and below average in period 3, so I guess that was some "improvement" over WWE terrible, like they were in period 1.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The easy answer is no. Most average fans wouldn’t know who their president is….or care. Far fewer still would have any idea who is president of other teams. Us all knowing about Shanny is a testament to how overboard we are around here the Leaf presence is around here especially when it comes to blaming and hating.

Most fans would just stop with blaming their gm, as they are in charge of building the roster. The attention Shanny gets is ridiculous.

Reactions: adsfan

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
depends how involved they are in the Hockey side of things

for the Wings it's Chris Illitch but I don't think he meddles much with the GM in general so there's not really much reason for most people to care

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The Stars President and CEO Brad Alberts runs the business (marketing, HR, sales, etc.) he doesn't have anything to do with the team, scouting, coaches, etc.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Kings fans care because our president is the ‘mastermind’ behind pretty much everything that’s wrong with the franchise. I had always believed that Robitaille was responsible for not starting a rebuild immediately after Lombardi left and that he was also responsible for the premature end of the rebuild. Blake was getting the heat for both things but those are strategic things set at the President level. Blake seems complicit though and certainly has made plenty of other errors.

More worrying is that Robitaille seems to have his finger prints all over Bergevin coming in and the PLD trade. On top of it, BLuc have pretty much admitted to deciding the system the team plays. The consensus on the Kings board is that that things won’t improve until Robitaille is gone because he appears to be utterly clueless…. his ramblings about us all being a big family before staring into the abyss were ‘special’ to say the least.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It depends on the org chart of the organization. Some may be hands off on the hockey side of things, so in those cases. I don't really care.

In Montreal, gorton is the executive VP and hughes is the GM. They are basically co-GMs in their role, so yes, I care about these positions as a fan.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Often times these type of positions seem created only for old friends to give each other jobs and/or influence, i.e. rub each other's backs.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It's one of those jobs that you only care about if you think someone's doing it poorly.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Probably not if you mean the average fan. The average fan is probably a casual who barely knows everyone on the team's roster.

If you mean the average HFboards-posting fan, then yeah, they probably do know more about the team's management structure.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Flames: I wouldn't be surprised if many fans can prattle off King and Bean right off the top of their heads. But then again, both guys had the type of veto that I've never seen before on other teams. I don't know why this is the case, but it honestly feels a little bit like an overreaction after the Feaster fiasco. Heck, ownership even hired Burke as a POHO to deal with the situation. Burke cleaned house, then insulated Treliving against ownership (standing on management side vs ownership side) which probably annoyed them a little bit. Burke was a fantastic POHO for us.

No comments on his GMing and draft influence though. I am still kinda upset by that.

I didn’t know who Bean was until the press conference last year where he talked about the “R Word”

Reactions: Fig

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
For those unfamiliar with the drama in Leafs land over the past few years, Maple Leafs President Brendan Shanahan has received A LOT of attention in terms of his seemingly active role within the club, specifically roster moves and contract signings.

He was a central part of the drama of Dubas staying then leaving, and a number of fans on these boards are saying it's time for his departure alongside Keefe.

It got me thinking, however. I can't name one former Maple Leafs President off hand, nor can I for any other club. I know most of the GMs sure, and can probably recite every Leafs GM going back to the early 90s, but no idea on presidents.

Is caring who the team's president is an actual thing in the NHL, like do other fan bases want their team president held accountable for on ice performance, or is the Shanahan situation just another byproduct of the amount of exposure/dysfunction in Leaf land?

I would normally think of the president's role as mainly corporate/investors/media/league related, maybe even figurehead to some extent, not on ice related, but maybe I just misunderstand the role, or maybe the role varies widely depending on organization.
I'm not even a Leafs fan and I can tell you they've had Brian Burke and Ken Dryden as previous Presidents.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For Canucks yes. We got Jim Rutherford as POHO and I think he has just as much if not more say in hockey decisions than Allvin
Like others have pointed out, there is likely a POHO and POBO for each team. Hockey Operations and Business Operations.

Some teams with more experienced GMs, the GM can do both roles. Younger GMs, they have a separate President. Otherwise, the job of terminating the GM would then fall onto the owner.

So, each organization sets itself up differently depending on their own circumstances.

Most fans don't care who the President of Hockey Operations is. Typically only bring about their name if they fell like the GM should be fired.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
If it is secretly Kevin Lowe then you don't have to worry about lifting the Cup.
He's gonna be first person inducted as player and as a president

I would gather most don't. Leaf fans just want as many people to blame as possible. If it is Shanny's fault the team did what it did, then why have a GM?
Like you blame that guy after the 3rd gm,

Or if it's known the president is very handsy

• Haha
Reactions: Marlowe Syn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad