Connor McDavid notches the most assists for RS+PS since Lemieux

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
With his fifth assist of the night McDavid now has 105 assists this season, the regular season and post season combined. Joe Thornton had the the previous high mark since Lemieux with 103.

McDavid also holds the highest total for goals with 71 (with Matthews up there with 70), again since Mario Lemieux.

The all time records in these categories are 100 goals and 174 assists (separate seasons) by Wayne Gretzky.
Kind of funny that both could be broken like the next day.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Unfortunately I lost the source but McDavid has the most points (17) through the first 7 games in the playoffs for quite some time. I think Gretzky has or shares the high mark with 19.

15 assists in 7 games is obviously awesome and will get him a new record should he keep it up through only 15 games (would have to clear the Canucks but wouldn't need to make the finals). I'm becoming a little irritated by the lack of goals, though. It's weird how one-sided his game has become even though he's just a year removed from a 64 goal campaign.

Also, quite remarkable that the supposed Batman hasn't been able to truly overshadow his Robin: Leon Draisaitl is still in the lead in career playoff production with one more point than McDavid. After a relatively pedestrian regular season compared to his recent standard it seemed that most people had dropped Draisaitl from their top 5 player list. Dude is dominating out there, healthy or hurt, doesn't matter.

Hopefully the Oilers get to play 20+ games, you know what that'd mean. Let's see the best players in the finals!

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If we're using RS+P, then here's a few single season records...

Forward:
Goals: 100 (83-84 Gretzky)
Assists: 174 (85-86 Gretzky)

Defenceman:
Goals: 49 (84-85 Coffey & 85-86 Coffey)
Assists: 109 (70-71 Orr & 84-85 Coffey)

Goalies:
Wins: 59 (73-74 Parent & 99-00 Brodeur)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Unfortunately I lost the source but McDavid has the most points (17) through the first 7 games in the playoffs for quite some time. I think Gretzky has or shares the high mark with 19.

15 assists in 7 games is obviously awesome and will get him a new record should he keep it up through only 15 games (would have to clear the Canucks but wouldn't need to make the finals). I'm becoming a little irritated by the lack of goals, though. It's weird how one-sided his game has become even though he's just a year removed from a 64 goal campaign.

Also, quite remarkable that the supposed Batman hasn't been able to truly overshadow his Robin: Leon Draisaitl is still in the lead in career playoff production with one more point than McDavid. After a relatively pedestrian regular season compared to his recent standard it seemed that most people had dropped Draisaitl from their top 5 player list. Dude is dominating out there, healthy or hurt, doesn't matter.

Hopefully the Oilers get to play 20+ games, you know what that'd mean. Let's see the best players in the finals!

These are the best starts through 7 and 8 games I could find. (tbf, I didn't check much outside of Gretzky & Lemieux, so possible others outdid them):

Gretzky first 7 games in 81 - 18 points (first 8 games 20 points)
Gretzky first 7 games in 83 - 19 points (first 8 games 22 points)
Gretzky first 7 games in 85 18 points (first 8 games 22 points)
Gretzky first 7 games in 87 17 points (first 8 games 20 points)

Lemieux first 7 games in 92 19 points (first 8 games 19 also)

Daryl Sittler first 7 games in 77 18 points (first 8 games 18 points still)

McDavid right now has 17 points in 7 games. He'd need 5 points tonight to tie Gretzky all-time with 22 points through 8 games. And just 2 points to tie Lemieux's best ever 8 game start

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
McDavid keeps preforming during later playoff rounds (Especially WCF's & SCF's), he'll shoot up my list of respected NHL playoff performers without question. McDavid is a generational player who's just missing late playoff pedigree right now, but he's got plenty of time to achieve this. We're pulling for McDavid to win "Cup", that would be an exclamation point for his career.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
It never gets old to see how bad Gretzky owns hockey
IMG_0496.JPG

Reactions: CN8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad