Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Playing 12 minutes cross checking

Ass hats are out in full force

Dude first goal by Rodrigues was from behind net how was that on McAvoy

Been reading you along time - you ok? You were posting like this a few years back

Who scored the first goal, and from where?

Said he was on the ice for all 3 goals. Which he was.

Posting like what a few years back? About McAvoy?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
McAvoy got hurt I’m pretty sure st the home game late in season he took his glove off and shook his hand several times - and flexed it

Trainer came over

Hasn’t handled puck well since

Clearly there is something wrong with his hand he can’t pass or shoot like he normally does

Let me smash your hand with my 33 Willie Stargell Louisville Slugger and then watch you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich :laugh:

If McAvoy is that compromised by a hand injury or whatever else, why is Monty giving him so many minutes? He's leading the entire field in terms of TOI in the playoffs so far. I get you need your top defender out there, but if he's not fully fit and it's clearly bothering him, it seems crazy to keep sending him out for 25+ mins every night. The Bruins' defensive group isn't great but it's not that hopeless that it couldn't pick up a bit more of the slack. So I don't get it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If McAvoy is that compromised by a hand injury or whatever else, why is Monty giving him so many minutes? He's leading the entire field in terms of TOI in the playoffs so far. I get you need your top defender out there, but if he's not fully fit and it's clearly bothering him, it seems crazy to keep sending him out for 25+ mins every night. The Bruins' defensive group isn't great but it's not that hopeless that it couldn't pick up a bit more of the slack. So I don't get it.

Maybe it's time for everyone (coaches, management, fans) to admit that maybe he's not the type of player who can handled 25 mins. a night.

D-men who can do that and do it successfully know how to pace themselves. They play more patient, more efficient, pick their spots better. McAvoy's style has always been high energy, relies on his all-world athleticism.

Sometimes it's hard to reign in a thoroughbred who wants to run, but that's on the coaches to do their thing and well, coach.

This team has 3 capable right-shot D-men in their prime (McAvoy, Carlo, Peeke) that can defensively go up against any opponent. Next season if they run it back with those 3 (likely), they should try and dial back McAvoy's minutes, especially in the regular season, so that he has more in the playoffs. His mistakes in these playoffs are mental, which tells me it's likely heavy fatigue more than it is poor hockey sense/decision making. If Carlo and Peeke can handle a bit more 5 on 5 and PK, and Lohrei can handle some PP Unit 1 duty, maybe they can get more out of McAvoy where he's at his best 5 on 5.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Gotta rewatch to see how McAvoy sucked and was responsible for all three Florida goals

Thought he played well

Wasn’t responsible for Lundell goal or Bennett game changing goal

I gotta check the other but looks more like 25 Dudes then he sucked

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gotta rewatch to see how McAvoy sucked and was responsible for all three Florida goals

Thought he played well

Thought he was definitely better in this one too. Still not up to the high level we need him to be at but I thought he was mostly good

Reactions: Ladyfan

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Maybe it's time for everyone (coaches, management, fans) to admit that maybe he's not the type of player who can handled 25 mins. a night.

D-men who can do that and do it successfully know how to pace themselves. They play more patient, more efficient, pick their spots better. McAvoy's style has always been high energy, relies on his all-world athleticism.

Sometimes it's hard to reign in a thoroughbred who wants to run, but that's on the coaches to do their thing and well, coach.

This team has 3 capable right-shot D-men in their prime (McAvoy, Carlo, Peeke) that can defensively go up against any opponent. Next season if they run it back with those 3 (likely), they should try and dial back McAvoy's minutes, especially in the regular season, so that he has more in the playoffs. His mistakes in these playoffs are mental, which tells me it's likely heavy fatigue more than it is poor hockey sense/decision making. If Carlo and Peeke can handle a bit more 5 on 5 and PK, and Lohrei can handle some PP Unit 1 duty, maybe they can get more out of McAvoy where he's at his best 5 on 5.

That may well be true. I think he could still learn to pace himself and manage his efforts a bit better, but regardless I think it would be beneficial to have his overall average TOI reduced. Getting him away from the special teams in the way you described would be a great way of doing that. Wouldn't remove him completely from those scenarios, but he should ideally be on the 2nd unit for both. 5v5 should absolutely be his priority. Let him concentrate on that and not much else.

Whether it's fatigue, injury or simply that he's mind's not where it needs to be, he's battled. Leading all comers with 19 giveaways is a pretty damning stat, the fact that Lindholm is next-worst with 13 just compounds things for the Bruins. And between the two of them 23 of those were in the D zone. Yikes.

I wrote about this in the PGT - I really don't think Monty does a good enough job managing the minutes and energy expenditure of his players over the course of the season. He seems to be wearing them out too quickly, especially the stars. And McAvoy probably suffers from this more than anyone. I still have near-total faith in him as a player, provided expectations are tempered just a little. But I think his role within the team and his general management need to be adapted in future to really help get the best out of him, especially in the playoffs.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That may well be true. I think he could still learn to pace himself and manage his efforts a bit better, but regardless I think it would be beneficial to have his overall average TOI reduced. Getting him away from the special teams in the way you described would be a great way of doing that. Wouldn't remove him completely from those scenarios, but he should ideally be on the 2nd unit for both. 5v5 should absolutely be his priority. Let him concentrate on that and not much else.

Whether it's fatigue, injury or simply that he's mind's not where it needs to be, he's battled. Leading all comers with 19 giveaways is a pretty damning stat, the fact that Lindholm is next-worst with 13 just compounds things for the Bruins. And between the two of them 23 of those were in the D zone. Yikes.

I wrote about this in the PGT - I really don't think Monty does a good enough job managing the minutes and energy expenditure of his players over the course of the season. He seems to be wearing them out too quickly, especially the stars. And McAvoy probably suffers from this more than anyone. I still have near-total faith in him as a player, provided expectations are tempered just a little. But I think his role within the team and his general management need to be adapted in future to really help get the best out of him, especially in the playoffs.

Well said and I completely agree. On both McAvoy and Monty's use of him and other players during the regular season.

I said back at the deadline not going out and getting a 4th line C who is reliable defensively and capable on face-offs was a missed opportunity as they were heavily reliant on Coyle (and Zacha) for defensive match-ups and PK duty. The 4th line in general was not trusted by the coaching staff from a defensive stand-point they way the Bruins were in previous years, putting more hard minutes and PK duty on the upper part of the line-up like Marchand in his mid-30s. People can talk about regular season vs. playoffs but ultimately every season is it's own marathon, regular season PLUS playoffs. How they manage minutes in Nov/Dec/Jan has an impact on what they have left in the tank come April/May/June.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Thought he played well

Who said McAvoy was responsible for all 3 goals?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Apparently Peeke being out of position and Coyle getting cross checked into Sway is the fault of…checks posts here to make sure….Charlie McAvoy?

I find it funny how all the Lindholm hate in round one found a new home on McAvoy for round two. I was worried for a minute that it wouldn’t find something new to do, but I shouldn’t have been. Don’t ever change HF, don’t ever change…lol

Reactions: Alicat

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Quite the decision here by McAvoy. Barkov then manhandles 2 of your forwards trying to cover your ass.

That goal never happens if McAvoy just stays in position and plays the puck carrier one-on-one. If your down by a few goals trying to make an impact, OK, I can see trying to step up there for a hit. But a tied game with your season on the line basically? Amateur stuff quite frankly.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
That goal never happens if McAvoy just stays in position and plays the puck carrier one-on-one. If your down by a few goals trying to make an impact, OK, I can see trying to step up there for a hit. But a tied game with your season on the line basically? Amateur stuff quite frankly.
Did the same kind of thing in the Leafs series on Nylander goal went for a hit and allowed a breakaway,the think with him is he has some great talent,but his hockey sense definitely doesn’t come close to matching his skill.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Monty’s entire system is based on the defense pinching and taking risks. I think it’s f***ing dumb and leads to way too many odd man rushes the other way, but these types of plays have been occurring the entire time Monty has been the coach.

EchoNumeral

May 7, 2024
Quite the decision here by McAvoy. Barkov then manhandles 2 of your forwards trying to cover your ass.

Looks bad at first glance, but then you consider that the game is at 2-2 and the Bruins badly need some life. He sees DeBrusk closing the space and decides he's going to Kronwall the heck out of Tarasenko. Maybe it will turn the game around.

Obviously it didn't pan out that way and if anything, Tarasenko deserves credit for keeping his head up and making a play.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Apparently Peeke being out of position and Coyle getting cross checked into Sway is the fault of…checks posts here to make sure….Charlie McAvoy?

I find it funny how all the Lindholm hate in round one found a new home on McAvoy for round two. I was worried for a minute that it wouldn’t find something new to do, but I shouldn’t have been. Don’t ever change HF, don’t ever change…lol

Where was Peeke out of position? He was covering the left side down low. McAvoy was up high, Coyle had the right side low. Once Bennett makes the pass to the point Coyle gets caught puck watching and completely losses sight on Bennett on the back-door. That was Coyle's check there, cross-check or no cross check. Even if there is no cross-check, I fail to see how Swayman gets across in time to stop Bennett from banging home the rebound. The only chance they had there was Coyle tying up Bennett's stick in front.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Monty’s entire system is based on the defense pinching and taking risks. I think it’s f***ing dumb and leads to way too many odd man rushes the other way, but these types of plays have been occurring the entire time Monty has been the coach.

I just see a bad decision made by McAvoy at that point in the game. No situational awareness at all. I can't blame Monty's system there when basic common hockey sense says just play it safe and let the puck carrier come to you. Not saying you are wrong about Monty's system just that in this particular case, McAvoy just needs to make a better decision there at that critical point in the game and series.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

How is Peeke out of position? He blocked the original shot. He's down low, where the defenseman is supposed to be. Where's Charlie? Shorthanded, how does he end up at the top of the box? He's the one out of position.

That said, this is an absolute case of the referee blowing the call and being responsible for the goal.

Where was Peeke out of position? He was covering the left side down low. McAvoy was up high, Coyle had the right side low. Once Bennett makes the pass to the point Coyle gets caught puck watching and completely losses sight on Bennett on the back-door. That was Coyle's check there, cross-check or no cross check. Even if there is no cross-check, I fail to see how Swayman gets across in time to stop Bennett from banging home the rebound. The only chance they had there was Coyle tying up Bennett's stick in front.

You beat me to it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
How is Peeke out of position? He blocked the original shot. He's down low, where the defenseman is supposed to be. Where's Charlie? Shorthanded, how does he end up at the top of the box? He's the one out of position.

That said, this is an absolute case of the referee blowing the call and being responsible for the goal.

You beat me to it.

McAvoy coming out high isn't a huge issue because the diamond can/will rotate. He does get caught in no man's land briefly covering no one which did contribute to the goal as he could/should of been a bit tighter to the Florida shooter. Coyle takes his spot correctly down low, but completely losses focus on Bennett.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I just see a bad decision made by McAvoy at that point in the game. No situational awareness at all. I can't blame Monty's system there when basic common hockey sense says just play it safe and let the puck carrier come to you. Not saying you are wrong about Monty's system just that in this particular case, McAvoy just needs to make a better decision there at that critical point in the game and series.

And it wasn't a pinch, the puck was already in the neutral zone and the opponent has full control of the puck. Had nothing to do with Monty's system. It was a whiff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad