Confirmed with Link: Bowness Expected to Retire

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Congrats Bones.

I'd like to see a whole new coaching staff with some new ideas, especially on ST's and no stomach for X should play with Y just because thats how its always been. For that to happen we would have had to stink out the joint this season which we didn't do, except in the playoffs.

We will likely get Arniel as HC and he may change assistants but I doubt it. Don't think Arniel is here either as an Associate or Assistant Coach if he misses out on HC.

When is Chevy's contact up. Next season may be his last if we don't make hay in the playoffs, regardless of how loyal TNSE.
I don't how you bring that coaching staff back (sans Bones) he was the backbone, no pun intended. I'd like to see a wholesale change.

As for Chevy, I suspect he's here as long as he wants to be.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Bowness did alot of very good things with this team and i wish him and his family good health and good times. Unlike alot of people on here i wouldn't mind Arniel getting a shot but with his own assistants , he did a fantastic job during Bowness's absence.
If we go back to last summer/fall most Jet fans were predicting the Jets to be a WC team at best. Yet you are comparing this season to plane crash? Maybe you had higher expectations, but for me personally, this season was beyond what I was expecting.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Bowness did alot of very good things with this team and i wish him and his family good health and good times. Unlike alot of people on here i wouldn't mind Arniel getting a shot but with his own assistants , he did a fantastic job during Bowness's absence.
Very happy Bones is getting the love and respect he deserves as he leaves the game.

I wouldn't mind Arniel either, if we could not land a Cooper or equivalent. I think he has lots of Bones' best interpersonal assets, but maybe a more flexible outlook in regards to other aspects of the game. And he looks very robust for his age, so should have no problem with the grind.

Agree also with changing up assistants, maybe more radically if we stick with Arniel. Maybe hire Garrett Hohl as a special advisor--we could call him the t-test coach, as opposed the the i-test coaching we've often been getting.;)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If we go back to last summer/fall most Jet fans were predicting the Jets to be a WC team at best. Yet you are comparing this season to plane crash? Maybe you had higher expectations, but for me personally, this season was beyond what I was expecting.
I wasn't comparing anything i was just saying Bowness did a very good job here during his 2 years here. :huh: I did have pretty high expectations this playoffs though after finishing 4th overall in the NHL, thought at the very least we would get to the second round.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I wasn't comparing anything i was just saying Bowness did a very good job here during his 2 years here. :huh: I did have pretty high expectations this playoffs though after finishing 4th overall in the NHL, thought at the very least we would get to the second round.
Whoa...I meant to quote Nickel Eye.
c7ccce23-abf0-4fa2-a1aa-f8dbd10176a7_text.gif

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Great post.
Some posters just don't give him enough credit on the job he inherited and what he has did for the Jets organization in just 2 years.
Absolutely. Some people get upset their favorite individual players aren't being used to what they believe is optimal and maybe they are not.

But the Head Coach is responsible for the team's results. Bones is responsible for 4th place in the league. He is responsible for a +60 goal differential, 4th in the league. He is responsible the best goals against in the league/Jennings Trophy.

I think when the Jets did have a stretch of not playing well it was because they stopped playing Rick Bowness hockey. To be fair no team plays at their best 100% of the time. What we saw in the playoffs was not Rick Bowness hockey. I think the best thing for this team would have been one more year of Rick Bowness.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
So.. PoMo retires mid season, and Bones after two years

Can anyone remember another team where back to back coaches left on their own will?

I realize the circumstances are different between the two and Bones is at an age and season in life when retirement becomes inevitable at some point

Reactions: Stumbledore

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
You took the comparison too literal. I was speaking of recognizing that coaches make mistakes or have their own biases and you don't need to be a NHL coach to recognize some of these flaws.
To be honest, at the beginning of the season I thought we would be in a wild card spot at best.
Between Chevy bringing trade deadline help, Helly having an insane regular season, and the team playing a better system it was more than I did expect.
I also recognized that depending on the player there was less or more accountability and longer or shorter leash for mistakes. There were times when his lines were less than optimal.
I was probably more frustrated because now that the Jets seemed to be playing a better system as a whole, the inconsistent calling out of players, playing time, and lines seemed more glaring. The improvement during the season left me with wanting a larger leap than what I had originally expected.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
:eek3:

Although...there are probably a few on here that coached Junior B at least.
Well maybe one of those could take over this team and elevate it to Junior B level. I jest.

This group might be considered to be too tight for their to be anything in the way of significant changes.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I don't how you bring that coaching staff back (sans Bones) he was the backbone, no pun intended. I'd like to see a wholesale change.

As for Chevy, I suspect he's here as long as he wants to be.
Well replacing Chevy is a process, and well if you take things as whole and a tree falls in the forest and when you know well want to stick with the process and we're real close and then well you know what I mean so yeah anymore questions?Ok good well I'm off to the cottage then.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
So.. PoMo retires mid season, and Bones after two years

Can anyone remember another team where back to back coaches left on their own will?

I realize the circumstances are different between the two and Bones is at an age and season in life when retirement becomes inevitable at some point
Chipman is a bit of a bleeding heart. Firing people just isn't his thing apparently. I think Maurice was baffled as to why he hadn't been fired! Any other organization would have canned him years prior and here he was just blowing in the wind.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
So if it's been confirmed that the Jets talked him out of retirement 2 years ago to come coach here, does that mean the last 2 seasons were really just a...

...Bowness bonus?

• Haha
Reactions: Dirtbag151

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Seems like a great guy but we need some changes so a mutual parting is for the best
Hope he has a good retirement

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
A majority around here had the Jets finishing Top 3 in the Central.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad