Barkov finally became a playoffs performer, leader for the Panthers

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6205.gif

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
There was a time on our boards when barkov was heavily criticized for his PO performances, and I can't say it wasn't deserved.

It's great to see him finally step up offensively in the POs. He's already 3 points shy of his career high and we haven't even left the 2nd round yet. We've been waiting awhile for this.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
There was a time on our boards when barkov was heavily criticized for his PO performances, and I can't say it wasn't deserved.

It's great to see him finally step up offensively in the POs. He's already 3 points shy of his career high and we haven't even left the 2nd round yet. We've been waiting awhile for this.

Just have to go back a year when lot of the fans were suggesting Barkov trade seriously

Reactions: Mase and Chaos2k7

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
97 is the best player in the world, let me get that out of the way.

While Barkov is one of the best players in the league, his status would be elevated even more if he was just a little more selfish, and was a bit more mean lol.

He just refuses to be selfish, and cheat in his own zone. Thats what makes him the best defensive forward in the game.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Biggest difference is the new dimension in his game. He is physical and tough to play against, he used to play little bit of perimeter game. He has been good at playoffs at times, and last year he was injured/sick during bruins series. Right now he is flat out dominating.

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
The fact that star players go from "playoff chokers" to "playoff performers" and back during their careers should be an indication of the fact that the whole "playoff hero" label is overblown. But that's a conclusion we are, despite the evidence, unlikely to reach here at hfboards :laugh:

IdleTraveller

Mar 30, 2024

While Barkov is one of the best players in the league, his status would be elevated even more if he was just a little more selfish, and was a bit more mean lol.

He just refuses to be selfish, and cheat in his own zone. Thats what makes him the best defensive forward in the game.

You can tell from my avatar that I'm a HUGE Barkov fan, so I'm obviously not objective about this. But this completely. Even though Barkov is hugely talented as a goal-scorer - capable of breathtaking highlight reel goals like taking on three defenders and winning - from what I've seen and heard, he's always unselfish and goes for what makes the best play every time even when he could (and at times should) be more selfish. He makes everyone around him better and allows them to play the style of hockey that they do, knowing that he will always be defensively responsible behind them.

I wouldn't say he is the best player in the NHL (whatever "best" means) or even the top five: I haven't seen enough games to be able to judge. But Barkov's style of play, his unassuming personality, and the smaller hockey market in Florida means that I still feel that he is underrated and underappreciated league-wide, even on this thread which is meant to be about him!! I'm really happy that he seems to be getting more recognition [hello selke!] and how great he's been doing during these playoffs.

Alongside that, I love the fact that he is the captain of probably the most chaotic team in the NHL, and I say that last with love. I sort of see him as the calm quiet centre both on and off the ice, that anchors and therefore facilitates the entertaining chaos around him. Obviously, I have no idea of knowing if that's the case in the room but it certainly feels that way on the ice from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
McDavid scored at 2ppg pace last two playoffs, and he was called a playoff choker because they didn't go all the way.
What do you think of that, OP?

• Haha
Reactions: teugen and Mase

tapi

Oct 25, 2009

We need to note that it was only after the Tkachuk acquisition that Barkov started to deliver when it matters. Be it for mental or whatever reasons, he seems to need someone else to take the helm for him to perform at optimal level which admittedly is great.

Reactions: Felidae

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
McDavid scored at 2ppg pace last two playoffs, and he was called a playoff choker because they didn't go all the way.
What do you think of that, OP?
Proves that people can be kinda dumb, or that they just love to troll a rival team.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
You can tell from my avatar that I'm a HUGE Barkov fan, so I'm obviously not objective about this. But this completely. Even though Barkov is hugely talented as a goal-scorer - capable of breathtaking highlight reel goals like taking on three defenders and winning - from what I've seen and heard, he's always unselfish and goes for what makes the best play every time even when he could (and at times should) be more selfish. He makes everyone around him better and allows them to play the style of hockey that they do, knowing that he will always be defensively responsible behind them.

I wouldn't say he is the best player in the NHL (whatever "best" means) or even the top five: I haven't seen enough games to be able to judge. But Barkov's style of play, his unassuming personality, and the smaller hockey market in Florida means that I still feel that he is underrated and underappreciated league-wide, even on this thread which is meant to be about him!! I'm really happy that he seems to be getting more recognition [hello selke!] and how great he's been doing during these playoffs.

Alongside that, I love the fact that he is the captain of probably the most chaotic team in the NHL, and I say that last with love. I sort of see him as the calm quiet centre both on and off the ice, that anchors and therefore facilitates the entertaining chaos around him. Obviously, I have no idea of knowing if that's the case in the room but it certainly feels that way on the ice from what I've seen.
That is very astute, yes I see it the same way. You have Bennett, Tkachuk, Lomberg, Cousins, etc. all doing what they do, and yet they all say they look to Barky for leadership and as an example to follow. They all say he's their leader and he's the guy that drives the team .

Reactions: Ratsreign

IdleTraveller

Mar 30, 2024
That is very astute, yes I see it the same way. You have Bennett, Tkachuk, Lomberg, Cousins, etc. all doing what they do, and yet they all say they look to Barky for leadership and as an example to follow. They all say he's their leader and he's the guy that drives the team .

I think every player in the NHL has been media trained to death to say that about their captain, but I actually think there's something to it here.

It's pretty obvious from various on-ice shenanigans that that locker room has its fair share of rather healthy egos. So having the captain and their best player be the one who is so completely team-focused, I think sets the tone for the team as a whole. A really great exampe of quiet leadership and how it can work in a team that is otherwise very loud. I think Barkov and Tkachuk are a fantastic leadership combo working off of each other, and I think are actually more similar than they are different when it comes to the team.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
It's pretty obvious from various on-ice shenanigans that that locker room has its fair share of rather healthy egos. So having the captain and their best player be the one who is so completely team-focused, I think sets the tone for the team as a whole.
This is a great observation, and I agree with you 100%.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

I will take the best defensive forward in the game every time over the best offensive player in the game. But that's just me of course.

Reactions: Laus723

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Calgary fans were convinced he was a product of Gaudreau and Lindholm, took all last year for that to go away. Chucky stirs his own drink, and is centered by another Flames reject that we were told couldn't play.

They were convinced they fleeced us on the deal. It wasn't considered a slam dunk at the time, but now, anyone would have done it? I dunno

buddy watching last dance on loop for weeks at a time or

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos2k7

Tupu

Dec 20, 2012
Hes definetly getting used to his size, two strides and he becomes unstoppable force and has the ability make first pass easy and slow time down. Datsyuk with a frame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad