Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So according to the chart we should be able to trade into the top 5 with ease.

Seems like a no brainer as long as some other team (realistically Columbus or Montreal) agrees to it?
If we could, but I really highly doubt that the puck value chart actually reflects what GMs would do. The team trading the higher pick almost always “wins” the value because of how reluctant teams are to trade down.

According to that chart, we can trade 14+42 to get 7. I feel confident one of Buium or Dickinson will be there, so I’d easily do that trade.

Be honest, would you do that trade in reverse if we had 7th?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I imagine 14, and 33 or 42 would be enticing to a lot of teams in the top 10. 14 and 33 is almost worth #5 alone. Two picks in the top 5 or 6 would be pretty nice.
You gotta give the team trading down added incentive to do it so I'd have no problem kicking in 42. Odds of that pick hitting are extremely low anyway.

Imagine walking out of Las Vegas with Celebrini and Lindstrom...

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If we could, but I really highly doubt that the puck value chart actually reflects what GMs would do. The team trading the higher pick almost always “wins” the value because of how reluctant teams are to trade down.

According to that chart, we can trade 14+42 to get 7. I feel confident one of Buium or Dickinson will be there, so I’d easily do that trade.

Don't think a GM can justify that unless the league perception is that tier is completely flat. I think a more realistic one is 14+33+3rd/4th

Reactions: OversKy

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Probably not but if it was 7 for 14+33+42 I would have to seriously consider it.

From the Sharks perspective I'm willing to move that package for any pick that guarantees us one of Levshunov, Silayev or Lindstrom.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Probably not but if it was 7 for 14+33+42 I would have to seriously consider it.

From the Sharks perspective I'm willing to move that package for any pick that guarantees us one of Levshunov, Silayev or Lindstrom.
I just don’t feel great about putting all our eggs in one basket this early in the rebuild. That is to say, I want to keep one of our 2nds.

Besides, Levshunov and Silayev seem like locks to go top-4, so I don’t think they’re realistic trade up targets, and if Lindstrom is healthy then I think he’s basically a lock to go top-5 as well.

It’s early though, you never know.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So according to the chart we should be able to trade into the top 5 with ease.

Seems like a no brainer as long as some other team (realistically Columbus or Montreal) agrees to it?
I can't see either of those teams moving out of the top ten for a couple early 2nds and I'm not sold on any of them enough to move the two early 2nds with #14 to get them. I'm more inclined to let the draft play itself out and get four prospects or more from the first two rounds.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
I can't see either of those teams moving out of the top ten for a couple early 2nds and I'm not sold on any of them enough to move the two early 2nds with #14 to get them. I'm more inclined to let the draft play itself out and get four prospects or more from the first two rounds.
I agree. I’d rather have more picks and potential upside players than one pick that we are holding our breath hits his ceiling of potential.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
I'd be more inclined to trade up with 33&42 into the high teens/ low twenties to snag a player high on the brain trusts wishlist, than package them with 14 to move up from 14.

Or moving up slightly from either 33 or 42 to land Griers guy

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
I just don’t feel great about putting all our eggs in one basket this early in the rebuild. That is to say, I want to keep one of our 2nds.

Besides, Levshunov and Silayev seem like locks to go top-4, so I don’t think they’re realistic trade up targets, and if Lindstrom is healthy then I think he’s basically a lock to go top-5 as well.

It’s early though, you never know.

I don't like it as all the D prospects have flaws and it certainly possible (albeit a small possibility that the best defenseman from this draft comes outside the first round.

Maybe the Sharks have a lock on a defenseman out of the perceived top 6 that are willing to move up for, but if there's any hesitation the Sharks still need more prospects.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I'd be more inclined to trade up with 33&42 into the high teens/ low twenties to snag a player high on the brain trusts wishlist, than package them with 14 to move up from 14.

Would be pretty sweet if the sharks could do this and somehow come out of the draft with
Some combo Yakemchuk, MBN, Jiriceck, Sennecke from #14 and some teens pick traded for 33 & 42

Like if sharks grabbed Yakenchuk at 14 and MBN was falling move 33 & 42 to get into the teens to grab him

Reactions: Grinner

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I'm feeling a Hutson vibe for some reason, where you guys take him in this draft? #14 is probably a giant reach

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I wish we had our third. #33+#65 would probably be enough to move up to ~26 and guarantee one of the Emery/Elick/Badinka RHD class.

I don't like it as all the D prospects have flaws and it certainly possible (albeit a small possibility that the best defenseman from this draft comes outside the first round.

Maybe the Sharks have a lock on a defenseman out of the perceived top 6 that are willing to move up for, but if there's any hesitation the Sharks still need more prospects.
Right, that’s sort of my perspective too. None of the D are guaranteed top-4 guys except Dickinson IMO, so to blow essentially an entire draft class other than Celebrini on a D just to have them bust or become a bottom pairing guy would be really, really bad.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Would be pretty sweet if the sharks could do this and somehow come out of the draft with
Some combo Yakemchuk, MBN, Jiriceck, Sennecke from #14 and some teens pick traded for 33 & 42
Yes it would. Very sweet

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm feeling a Hutson vibe for some reason, where you guys take him in this draft? #14 is probably a giant reach
33 is probably reasonable for Hutson, but I think there’ll be D I like more at 33 even though I do like Hutson. I think I’ve said this before but my 2nd round fantasy is Emery at 33 and Hutson at 42. Doubt either make it to those picks, but that would be swell.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Are y’all concerned at all about wearing sharks gear? I was thinking of wearing a sharks tshirt but Vegas fans and alcohol feel like they don’t mix well. Never been to opposing area though.
I’ve never had any issues wearing Sharks gear. I’ve been to a lot of arenas, including here in Vegas, and the fans are usually friendly. I’m planning to wear my Hertl jersey one more time in fact!

I think the count is up to 7+ from these boards. should be fun.
We should connect with @Sheng Peng and @Kcoyote3 for an official get together!

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
You gotta give the team trading down added incentive to do it so I'd have no problem kicking in 42. Odds of that pick hitting are extremely low anyway.

Imagine walking out of Las Vegas with Celebrini and Lindstrom...
This is where maybe you prey on Ottawa believing they’re a contender and send 14, 42 and Ferraro for 7.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
This is where maybe you prey on Ottawa believing they’re a contender and send 14, 42 and Ferraro for 7.
I feel like the logic works the other way... If your cupboard is as bare as the sharks, you want as many picks as you can get. If you think you're a contender, you're looking for the 1-2 pieces you're missing and want to get the guy you really like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad