Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v3 | Thu, May 23 | @ Det | 6:30pm ET/3:30pm PT | Gausman vs Flaherty

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This is probably Atkins’ final two weeks on the job. We should be happy he’ll be fired. I’d rather this than another WC season where they lose in the first round without winning a game because the GM doesn’t know how to make the right moves.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Vogelbach seems like a likeable guy but having an age 30+ pure DH on the roster who rarely plays and hasn’t hit when he actually get the chance …. seems insane when you have Horwitz and Barger as younger homegrown LH bats raking in AAA and those guys can actually play a position.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Big series against Baltimore coming up that likely decides the fates of one or both of Atkins and Schneider.

Honestly… if you want the Jays to get better you may actually want to root for the Orioles.

Having this team hover around .500 just prolongs the suffering (and the inevitable). Get Atkins out now and start the healing process sooner.

Reactions: shaner8989

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I haven’t watched any baseball for the last 2+ weeks, but honestly I’m hoping for losses now.

It’s the only way any actual positive change can happen with this club. The sooner the GM and his personnel are gone, the sooner the jays can change their direction and hope for some success.

I hope fans stay home too.
That’ll quicken the process.

Reactions: shaner8989

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Big series against Baltimore coming up that likely decides the fates of one or both of Atkins and Schneider.

Honestly… if you want the Jays to get better you may actually want to root for the Orioles.

Having this team hover around .500 just prolongs the suffering (and the inevitable). Get Atkins out now and start the healing process sooner.
100% agree. Orioles likely sweep them or win the series.

Atkins doesn't deserve another manager. Fire him and the majority of the coaching staff.

Also, saw this earlier today.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
This is probably Atkins’ final two weeks on the job. We should be happy he’ll be fired. I’d rather this than another WC season where they lose in the first round without winning a game because the GM doesn’t know how to make the right moves.
Why the two week timeline?

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
I didn't watch the game, Mother's day and all, but i took a look at the highlights and it was great to see Manoah pitch a great game, shame he got screwed by the error and they couldnt score a run for him...

It's becoming a pattern, pitcher does great, no run support.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

My only question now is does Shapiro have the balls to fire his long-term buddy and right-hand man, or is this something that is going to have to be forced from someone above him.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Why would J Schneider change the lineup? How can you win with offensive stats like these:

Springer. .200
Kirk. .197
Vogelbach. .097
Bichette. .203
Varsho. .215

And you sit Jansen? Wtf. Is he deliberately losing these games or is he just incompetent? Never mind, I know the answer…….both.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Why would J Schneider change the lineup? How can you win with offensive stats like these:

Springer. .200
Kirk. .197
Vogelbach. .097
Bichette. .203
Varsho. .215

And you sit Jansen? Wtf. Is he deliberately losing these games or is he just incompetent? Never mind, I know the answer…….both.

I think the point to be made is he’s trying to separate these players in hopes of getting them better opportunities (via lineup “protection”), but in actuality he’s causing breakdowns in offence by not stacking the top hitters in a row.

The Dodgers have an elite top 3 and one of the best middle 3 as well, but they’re bottom 3 is as bad as whatever we would trot out. Still, they put them in the bottom 3, whereas the Jays put them at 1, 4, and 8. And I think Roberts is a terrible manager, but at least he’s not thinking Outman is going to get out of his funk, let’s bat him ahead of Pages and Rojas.

Or the fact that Max Muncy, a poor 3Ber, is playing there full time in order to keep his bat in the lineup. This isn’t to say that Turner should exclusively play there since he’s also been bad offensively, but maybe it’s time to set sights on certain prospects that are deserving of a call up.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I’ll take a stab at the lineup, probably ain’t gonna happen though:

Schneider LF
Varsho CF
Vladdy 1B
Jansen C
Turner DH
Springer RF
Bo SS
IKF 2B
Clement 3B

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Jays ranks by wRC+ at each spot in the lineup

1. 27th (Springer)
2. 17th (slightly brought down by Varsho)
3. 22nd (heavily brought down by Bo)
4. 26th (nobody has been good here)
5. 8th (Varsho/Jano been best here)
6. 8th (Schneider/Jano/Clement boost)
7. 8th (Varsho/Kirk boost)
8. 15th (IKF’s spot)
9. 11th (KK’s been good here)

Based on perhaps comfort, but also necessity to deploy the best possible amount of damage, my take would be:

1. Schneider, 2B (power, ability to walk)
2. Turner, DH (plate discipline, high contact rate, was at his best here with the Red Sox)
3. Vladdy, 1B (singles machine)
4. Jano, C (power, here’s hoping he can break the cleanup curse)
5. Varsho, LF (this is where he’s been at his best this year)
6. IKF, 3B (he should move up ahead of Springer/Bo at this point in time)
7. Springer, RF
8. Bichette, SS
9. KK, CF (he’s been good here and turns the lineup over with speed)

Against LHP Clement bats 6th (everyone else moves down) and comes in for KK as 3B, IKF moves to 2B, Schneider LF, Varsho CF.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Interesting short sample I've been keeping an eye on: Vlad is rocking a 165 wRC+ (908 OPS) over his last 14 games, reportedly stemming from advice Teoscar gave him when the Dodgers came to Toronto.

It was also pointed out to me that the next day (morning of April 27) was when Joe Siddall made that post about Vlad's swing looking a lot different than it used to. Maybe Vlad saw that post? If I remove the April 26 game the sample is a 184 wRC+ (975 OPS) over his last 13 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Vladdy definitely needs to lift the ball more, me saying this as a total non expert on hitting a baseball (but who here is?). He hits the ball so hard on a line, that it’s difficult to get a double out of it. It gets to the outfield so fast. I guess it’s better than beating the ball into the ground and grounding out all the time so that's progress

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Vladdy definitely needs to lift the ball more, me saying this as a total non expert on hitting a baseball (but who here is?). He hits the ball so hard on a line, that it’s difficult to get a double out of it. It gets to the outfield so fast. I guess it’s better than beating the ball into the ground and grounding out all the time so that's progress
I agree, there are people here who drool over the "hard hit ball" stats or whatever they are, but I can't count how many times I've heard in recent weeks "Vladdy with a LONG single", meaning it was hit so hard and fast to the wall that it bounced back to the outfielders that he couldnt even get to 2nd base.

Yes it's good that he's hitting more and getting on base more in the past few weeks. I'd rather have that rather than hittin infield grounders. But he needs to hit for more outfield power.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Jays ranks by wRC+ at each spot in the lineup

1. 27th (Springer)
2. 17th (slightly brought down by Varsho)
3. 22nd (heavily brought down by Bo)
4. 26th (nobody has been good here)
5. 8th (Varsho/Jano been best here)
6. 8th (Schneider/Jano/Clement boost)
7. 8th (Varsho/Kirk boost)
8. 15th (IKF’s spot)
9. 11th (KK’s been good here)

Based on perhaps comfort, but also necessity to deploy the best possible amount of damage, my take would be:

1. Schneider, 2B (power, ability to walk)
2. Turner, DH (plate discipline, high contact rate, was at his best here with the Red Sox)
3. Vladdy, 1B (singles machine)
4. Jano, C (power, here’s hoping he can break the cleanup curse)
5. Varsho, LF (this is where he’s been at his best this year)
6. IKF, 3B (he should move up ahead of Springer/Bo at this point in time)
7. Springer, RF
8. Bichette, SS
9. KK, CF (he’s been good here and turns the lineup over with speed)

Against LHP Clement bats 6th (everyone else moves down) and comes in for KK as 3B, IKF moves to 2B, Schneider LF, Varsho CF.
Why can’t Schneider do this kind of analysis and apply it?

Reactions: Eyedea

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Why can’t Schneider do this kind of analysis and apply it?

He's scared to put two of his historically best hitters at the bottom of the lineup. But that's the point, they aren't the best right now and shouldn't be at the top of the order or in between better hitters killing rallies.

That's why he always goes off on how "close" they are. They're only close in the sense that they can go 4-4 on any given day. But we haven't seen that and shouldn't expect it until it actually happens.

Reactions: canucksfan

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
He's scared to put two of his historically best hitters at the bottom of the lineup.
But it brings up the theory, how much input does he have in setting the lineup?

Because on a struggling offensive team, if you get a 10 run outburst with a certain lineup, you should try to repeat it especially trying to win your first series in a long time. But nope they reverse back to non-hitting Springer in leadoff and take Jano out of the lineup for freakin Vogelbach who is useless as tits on a bull.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad