Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
So, what will happen if Landeskog is back after christmas? Is there a cheaper player replacing him during his absence?

Foudy? Or who?
Landy's full cap would count against the team's cap. Not only half of it.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Actually they can. Teams can be up to 10% over the cap until opening day. With that said, it is probably unrealistic the Avs would do that because they would then be a very weak position to get rid of one or two players to get under the cap. IMO I suspect they will know by the end of these playoffs if Landy can return next year or not....at least I really hope so. It is very important they figure this out before FA and I would argue even before draft day.

But there is a way to avoid all this guessing and it is to trade Mikko which would give the Avs certainty over cap space.
Thank you, sir. I had missed that.

But if they do such a thing, they'd have contracts they would have just signed a couple of months prior. They'd be committed to trading older contracts then? And I assume they'd be getting pennies on the dollar, since the other teams would know the Avs are up against the wall from a cap perspective?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Thank you, sir. I had missed that.

But if they do such a thing, they'd have contracts they would have just signed a couple of months prior. They'd be committed to trading older contracts then? And I assume they'd be getting pennies on the dollar, since the other teams would know the Avs are up against the wall from a cap perspective?
Yes that's what I meant with the rest of my post. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Sorry.

Reactions: ABasin

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
So, what will happen if Landeskog is back after christmas? I guess there's a cheaper player replacing him during his absence.

Foudy or someone making less than $1,000,000.

IR and LTIR are two different things.

Landy’s salary doesn’t count against the cap until he is removed from LTIR. It’s what Vegas has done with Stone. There is no salary cap in the playoffs.

Is Ross Colton the odd man out if Landy returns?

Nope. We don’t resign Drouin and Girard gets traded.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Is Ross Colton the odd man out if Landy returns?

I'd say Miko should go. Not paying him ~12m extension this summer (kick in next year).

Honestly, if Drouin is healthy, Miko might be 3rd line right now

Drouin - Mack - Nuke
Parise - Mitts - Lehky
Wood - Ross - Moose
Cogs - Trenin - Duhaime

Obviously Parise won't be here next year, but you get an asset back in the Miko trade.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I'd say Miko should go. Not paying him ~12m extension this summer (kick in next year).

Honestly, if Drouin is healthy, Miko might be 3rd line right now

Drouin - Mack - Nuke
Parise - Mitts - Lehky
Wood - Ross - Moose
Cogs - Trenin - Duhaime

Obviously Parise won't be here next year, but you get an asset back in the Miko trade.

Yep. I agree. A guy who finished 8th in league scoring with 104 points should be on the 3rd line and Zach F’n Parise should be a line ahead of him.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He has been bad this season and it has carried over to the playoffs. Guy refuses to move his feet.
FTR Ismo Lehkonen called out Rants on December 11th. That comment was in reaction to Mikko playing like crap since October.

Ismo said that Rantanen didn't have a good summer (he traveled a lot) and didn't train like he usually does.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Bednar won't allow CMac to move Lehkonen. He loves this player way too much.

I've said it and gotten pushback on it but it honestly would not surprise me if Ross Colton is the guy. They have a center in the pipeline in Cal Ritchie, they wouldn't be asking him to play top-six minutes, they could insulate him by putting Landeskog on his wing the way Dallas did Wyatt Johnston and Jamie Benn. The template is there.

I understand they spent assets on Colton to fix the center position but they spend assets on any player they trade for. They spent assets to bring Lehkonen aboard, too. The spending of assets shouldn't be a reason why you can't move a guy.

Lehkonen is so much better than Ross Colton and they make similar money.

Unless the organization decides to be bold and trade Mikko Rantanen, I think the list of players potentially traded in order is:

1) Ross Colton
2) Josh Manson
3) Samuel Girard
4) Artturi Lehkonen

Reactions: GeoRox89

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

I've said it and gotten pushback on it but it honestly would not surprise me if Ross Colton is the guy. They have a center in the pipeline in Cal Ritchie, they wouldn't be asking him to play top-six minutes, they could insulate him by putting Landeskog on his wing the way Dallas did Wyatt Johnston and Jamie Benn. The template is there.

I understand they spent assets on Colton to fix the center position but they spend assets on any player they trade for. They spent assets to bring Lehkonen aboard, too. The spending of assets shouldn't be a reason why you can't move a guy.

Unless the organization decides to be bold and trade Mikko Rantanen, I think the list of players potentially traded in order is:

1) Ross Colton
2) Josh Manson
3) Samuel Girard
4) Artturi Lehkonen
Lehky is a rare gem and Colton is very replacable. IMO they trade Colton, try Ritchie at 3C and if it doesn't work they trade for a 3C at the deadline.

It's a lot easier to trade for a 3C than trade for a 2C.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think there's some possibility we just rent Rantanen for a season.

1) Ross Colton
2) Josh Manson
3) Samuel Girard
4) Artturi Lehkonen

Lehkonen should never be on this list. Same with Nuke.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Yep. I agree. A guy who finished 8th in league scoring with 104 points should be on the 3rd line and Zach F’n Parise should be a line ahead of him.
if parise fits better with mittelstadt yup, I’m not advocating that. But I want my lines to click. You go with the hot hand, rants will never ever be on the third line, atleast this season and foreseeable futute

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad