NFL: 2024 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A number of the media is framing this as a war of the NFL vs. NBA, and I’m missing the part where the NBA was looking for a fight.
NBA wasn’t but there’s a reason the orher sports avoid H2H with the nfl whenever they can. Xmas was an nba day for a long time. Then the nfl decided to go for that day as well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The moves he's showing here tells me he may be a nightmare of a slot receiver at 6'3''.

Athleticism wise, he's got it. Question is how quick he can learn the game.

I'm real curious about this one as it feels like uncharted territory for an NFL franchise to get a guy who's this young and this good from rugby. Hayne was 27, Wade was 28. Feels like being that bit younger might help him learn and adapt. I'm reading a piece from Wade talking about his experiences and talking about the loneliness. I doubt that's why he didn't make it but it doesn't help. As a British expat myself, I know what he's talking about. It can be very surreal when you need someone to talk to and just about everyone you'd talk to is asleep.

Feels to me a bit like if he can't make it, then pretty much no one from rugby is gonna make it (unless they have a prior background). At least not to a skill position.

tTheVeganWoofMate

Adopt.Volunteer. Rescued is the best breed!
Mar 21, 2019
NJ
The ONLY thing that matters is will we finally see the Reptile People?!!! I’ve been waiting my whole life for them because their of their leader:

IMG_2464.jpeg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Athleticism wise, he's got it. Question is how quick he can learn the game.

I'm real curious about this one as it feels like uncharted territory for an NFL franchise to get a guy who's this young and this good from rugby. Hayne was 27, Wade was 28. Feels like being that bit younger might help him learn and adapt. I'm reading a piece from Wade talking about his experiences and talking about the loneliness. I doubt that's why he didn't make it but it doesn't help. As a British expat myself, I know what he's talking about. It can be very surreal when you need someone to talk to and just about everyone you'd talk to is asleep.

Feels to me a bit like if he can't make it, then pretty much no one from rugby is gonna make it (unless they have a prior background). At least not to a skill position.
He's probably best used in how SF used Deebo. Several carries a game, be it lined up in the backfield or via a jet sweep. Add in bubble screens as well.

Then it's about how well he learns WR technique to get off press coverage to determine how he can be best used in the short or vertical pass game. Probably not expecting go routes from him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He's probably best used in how SF used Deebo. Several carries a game, be it lined up in the backfield or via a jet sweep. Add in bubble screens as well.

Then it's about how well he learns WR technique to get off press coverage to determine how he can be best used in the short or vertical pass game. Probably not expecting go routes from him.

Huh. I thought Go Routes were fairly easy to run as it's basically straight downfield? Might have been misinformed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Huh. I thought Go Routes were fairly easy to run as it's basically straight downfield? Might have been misinformed.
That also involves tracking the ball 40 plus yards down the field. Not exactly something rugby players do. They get the ball in their hands by fielding kicks and handling tosses.

They have to be able to either get off press and then go, or the CB plays off and he's got to get the CB to hesitate a bit before going deep. Plus getting both feet in bounds and being able to adjust to the ball as it comes down.

That's why I think shorter routes for him which allow him YAC opportunties at this point in his career would make more sense as opposed to deeper passes.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That also involves tracking the ball 40 plus yards down the field. Not exactly something rugby players do. They get the ball in their hands by fielding kicks and handling tosses.

They have to be able to either get off press and then go, or the CB plays off and he's got to get the CB to hesitate a bit before going deep. Plus getting both feet in bounds and being able to adjust to the ball as it comes down.

That's why I think shorter routes for him which allow him YAC opportunties at this point in his career would make more sense as opposed to deeper passes.

Okay gotcha.

My thinking was if all he's doing is shorter routes, it makes it hard to get him involved as teams can see him on the field and they know what's coming next.

And that if he can run a long route - which I think athletically he can, both in terms of long pace and having the physicality/footwork to get free - then that taxes his understanding of the game less than running intermediate stuff. Yeah, you're probably not going to target him, but as long as he clears space for other runners it works. And the CB has to go with him or he'll be wide wide open.

If he can do that a couple of times and force teams to treat him like a real player - even if he's a decoy - it makes it easier to get him involved. It's "he's on the field, continue as normal" not "he's on the field, press right in his face". Maybe go routes aren't the best way of doing it, but there's got to be something to make him a little unpredictable.

The ball tracking and catches under pressure are something that will definitely represent a problem for him though. He will have done elements of them in terms of kick chase, cross-field kicks, and going up for 50-50 balls, but it's mostly going to be alien. Rugby technique in those circumstances is different too, generally you're looking to secure body position and let it fall into the bread basket rather than trying to high point the ball.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A CB will follow him if he goes deep. There have been plenty of 4.3 WR who played since HS that don't exactly excel on deep routes in the NFL. Being able to secure the release from the line or figuring out how to get past the CB who is playing off to give your QB a reason to give you that 50/50 ball shot.

Just not something to expect out of someone who has never played. Can still call the play, but have a check down if he doesn't do his part to get separation.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
A CB will follow him if he goes deep. There have been plenty of 4.3 WR who played since HS that don't exactly excel on deep routes in the NFL. Being able to secure the release from the line or figuring out how to get past the CB who is playing off to give your QB a reason to give you that 50/50 ball shot.

Just not something to expect out of someone who has never played. Can still call the play, but have a check down if he doesn't do his part to get separation.

Ah right, was underestimating the difficulty then (like Rees-Zammit, I'm a late rugby convert).

What are you looking for in terms of securing the release? I'm guessing there's an element of hand fighting and physicality with more grabby guys, plus footwork/anticipation/acceleration to gain a step on a guy?

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Ah right, was underestimating the difficulty then (like Rees-Zammit, I'm a late rugby convert).

What are you looking for in terms of securing the release? I'm guessing there's an element of hand fighting and physicality with more grabby guys, plus footwork/anticipation/acceleration to gain a step on a guy?
It's simple..
Create separation....
Don't get f***ing hit.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
ESPN already helped to destroy College Football, last thing we need is for them to get their dirty paws even more into the NFL. What is in this for the NFL? Is it really going to make them that much more $$$? :dunno:

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Going all in for the #2 Sanders Combo and scoop dad + son.
Crazy that with Dak this season, it costs them $59 mill in cap space. Once he leaves next season, there is still $40 mill in dead cap to eat. Will cost Dallas $100 mill in cap space for these 2 seasons where he only would play 1 year of the 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad