2023-24 Ted Lindsay Award finalists: Nikita Kucherov, Nathan MacKinnon, Auston Matthews

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Looks to me like the post said "one of the greatest regular seasons of our time". So either you can't read or you're being disingenuous.
Unless the “of our time” means literally just this season, in which it was maybe 3rd-5th best, then it’s an absolute lunatic statement

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think it means you block shots, get takeaways, and kill some penalties while scoring a lot of points. That’s who has won the award historically. Matthews doesn’t kill enough penalties to win the award though, so his nomination is really just media gaining access.

The award does not mean ‘best defensive forward’ and Matthews isn’t even the best defensive forward on his own team.

He absolutely, 100% is

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Why do we feel this way? I thought that series was tilted toward the leafs before Woll went down. I think Matthews started on the 3rd line in game 7 as well right? Idk either way that was a fantastic first round matchup.
I am not sure of the feeling we supposeably share, but I enjoyed the match up. Though the reality is that the Leafs lost. Boston advanced. The Leafs weren't good enough.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
I am not sure of the feeling we supposeably share, but I enjoyed the match up. Though the reality is that the Leafs lost. Boston advanced. The Leafs weren't good enough.
They lost in game 7 OT. I think they win with a healthy Woll. Or if MVP Matthews was healthy :naughty:

He absolutely, 100% is
Marner kills more penalties and seems to be more impactful. Same with Jarnkrok and Kampf. But whatever you think is fine too.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

This was just last year, Pasta was thought higher of than Kucherov. Pasta is extremely highly regarded. I don’t know if they would take him above Matthews, but it would be close. Pasta usually outscored Matthews and leads his team further in the playoffs.
His only job as the Bruins best offensive player on the wing is to put up point. Matthews as the center has significantly more defensive and transitional responsibilities than Pastrnak does. The facts are his overall offensive output is close while being the better goal scorer, defensive player and the center. The Bruins doing better in the playoffs than us has more to do with Swayman, Ullmark and Mcavoy.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
He absolutely, 100% is

Is he really though? Last year Marner was the Selke finalist. This year they are not really separated in the numbers and like it's been pointed out, Marner is the top choice for the PK. What numbers, outside of the silly blocked shots and takeaways argument, is behind that Matthews "absolutely, 100% is"?

PlayerGA/60xGA/60HDCA/60
Auston Matthews2,562,4810,78
Mitchell Marner2,212,5511,15

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Interesting the players, who vote for this award, see Matthews ahead of McDavid.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Matthews as the center has significantly more defensive and transitional responsibilities than Pastrnak does.
Do you even know what you are trying to say here? Matthews is not the play driver on his line. Matthews main job is to score goals.
The facts are his overall offensive output is close while being the better goal scorer, defensive player and the center. The Bruins doing better in the playoffs than us has more to do with Swayman, Ullmark and Mcavoy.
Matthews being a center doesn’t inherently make him better than Pasta. Matthews doesn’t play a traditional center role anyway.

Didn’t Pasta put up a crap ton more goals than Matthews last season? Pasta is consistently in the race and has won a Richard trophy before, so the gap in goal scoring is marginal.

Also the irony is Pasta ended your season in OT of game 7. Guy is pretty clutch too.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think it means you block shots, get takeaways, and kill some penalties while scoring a lot of points. That’s who has won the award historically. Matthews doesn’t kill enough penalties to win the award though, so his nomination is really just media gaining access.

The award does not mean ‘best defensive forward’ and Matthews isn’t even the best defensive forward on his own team.
The same group who has voted for those historically has just named Matthews a finalist. No arm chair microanalysis changes that fact in the history books.

When I say Matthew’s had Selke level defence this year, it’s because the NHL awards recognized it as Selke level defence hence why he is a Selke finalist in the 23-24 season.

You can break it down as much as you want but this regular season in the history books he is one of the top 3 selke calibre players.

Last edited:

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
It also interesting that they see Kucherov and Mackinnon ahead of McDavid.

Not really, when you step back and realize that McDavid has won four already, a number only equaled or surpassed by Gretzky and Lemieux (5 and 4 respectively). He is also a six-time finalist. During a year where he missed more games than the three finalists combined and didn’t repeat a 150 point season, the players are naturally going to vote like this. He’s competing with not only every peak singular season someone puts up, but also past versions of himself. There’s actually no mystery to it, thus making it quite uninteresting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Shakehead

The90

Feb 27, 2017
They lost in game 7 OT. I think they win with a healthy Woll. Or if MVP Matthews was healthy :naughty:

Marner kills more penalties and seems to be more impactful. Same with Jarnkrok and Kampf. But whatever you think is fine too.
They don’t at all seem any more impactful. Unless you’re not watching the game/ don’t want Matthews to be more impactful, in which case, makes sense.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
That isn't what the guy said. Stop lying.
Do you think it was one of the “best seasons of our time”

A season in which he will only win the Rocket? A season in which he was 6th in league scoring and only a whopping like 8pts ahead of his own teammate?

A season in which two guys joined the 100 assist club?

Leaf fans delusions in full swing in here

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
When I say Matthew’s had Selke level defence this year, it’s because the NHL awards recognized it as Selke level defence hence why he is a Selke finalist in the 23-24 season.
If he had Selke level defense, he would WIN a Selke. Getting a finalist nod != winning a Selke. Especially in a year where we had a runaway front runner in Barkov.
You can break it down as much as you want but this regular season in the history books he is one of the top 3 selke calibre players.
Cool? He didn't win a Selke. A nomination is not a Selke win.

Either way, the Selke isn't historically awarded to the forward that impacts defense the most. You have to put up points to win the Selke.

You don't even seem to understand the factors that got him his Selke nomination, even after being asked to conceptually explain those factors that make him better than Marner/Kampf/Jarnkrok on the defensive end.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
They don’t at all seem any more impactful. Unless you’re not watching the game/ don’t want Matthews to be more impactful, in which case, makes sense.
They do seem to be more impactful, hence getting more penalty kill minutes. How about you explain how Matthews impacts the defensive end of the ice more than Marner? What is this gap? Do YOU watch the games?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If he had Selke level defense, he would WIN a Selke. Getting a finalist nod != winning a Selke. Especially in a year where we had a runaway front runner in Barkov.

Cool? He didn't win a Selke. A nomination is not a Selke win.

Either way, the Selke isn't historically awarded to the forward that impacts defense the most. You have to put up points to win the Selke.

You don't even seem to understand the factors that got him his Selke nomination, even after being asked to conceptually explain those factors that make him better than Marner/Kampf/Jarnkrok on the defensive end.
Let’s make it clear that that’s your opinion of Selke level defence. That’s it.

My opinion is Selke level defence gets you invited to award night to win the Selke trophy. Just like an MVP level season gets Kucherov and Mackinnon to award night to win the Hart and/or Lindsay regardless of who actually wins it.

Either way, being a 69 goal scoring Selke finalist is a phenomenal season for an NHL player.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Let’s make it clear that that’s your opinion of Selke level defence. That’s it.

My opinion is Selke level defence gets you invited to award night to win the Selke trophy. Just like an MVP level season gets Kucherov and Mackinnon to award night to win the Hart and/or Lindsay regardless of who actually wins it.

Either way, being a 69 goal scoring Selke finalist is a phenomenal season for an NHL player.
Now you are just bending logic to fit your crappy argument. To get credit for something you have to earn it. Pretty simple, if someone had Selke level defense, they would have the Selke.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
They do seem to be more impactful, hence getting more penalty kill minutes. How about you explain how Matthews impacts the defensive end of the ice more than Marner? What is this gap? Do YOU watch the games?
lol. Laughably bad response when you have to respond with a ‘prove me wrong’.

1 of them is a selke finalist without a ton of pk time. The others aren’t. End of argument.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Now you are just bending logic to fit your crappy argument. To get credit for something you have to earn it. Pretty simple, if someone had Selke level defense, they would have the Selke.

Yours here is a pretty idiotic position to take.
The winners chosen for a lot of these awards are very often splitting hairs at best. Being a finalist for a major award is absolutely an acknowledgement that said player had play worthy of winning that award in the season they are nominated for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atomos2

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Why do they invite the top 3 players of each award to the award show? Why not just invite the winner?

This argument is getting ridiculous now. A Selke finalist is a Selke finalist. Whether you choose to consider them worthy of a Selke is your own opinion. But clearly the NHL invites all 3 finalists for a reason and that’s to give them credit for what they’ve done in the season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad