NCAA 2023 - 24 NCAA Thread

Sep 19, 2008
OSU, who had been horrificly bad with Holtmann, win instantly with some new nobody over #2 Purdue

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

The end of storming the court is upon us

Wake was favored too.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NIL changes nothing. NBA games aren't attended mostly by crazy college students. Stop digging the hole deeper and admit you're full of it.
Wow, ok, you want to have a fight about it. Damn. Wasn’t prepared for that, didn’t think I’d have to argue about it because there’s no logical way to dispute that.

I know I’m not full of it because I’m definitely right, and the coaches are starting to speak up about it. I’ll make this quick, because (1) I was out late and up early, and (2) if you’re going to dispute how NIL has fundamentally changed college athletics, as the athletes are far more of investments than they were, then you’re choosing to ignore what is plainly obvious, and I can’t control that, you either have to accept it or be in denial of it. I am not an expert on college economics nor do I purport to be, but if you’re unable to make the connection from the players NIL to their value to sponsors and networks (the latter exerting the most control since they’re paying the media rights and pulling the strings among the conferences), then you’re just straight out of your depth. ‘NIL changes nothing -‘ it’s already fundamentally changed college athletics. The sport’s top star, far and away, nearly got taken out by this, and the women’s side is much more dependent on a very few.

What can they do? The schools know who is in the building, they can fine or even prosecute (as pro leagues do do) fans, not unlike when you have streakers. The NCAA or conference can fine the schools, maybe even vacate the game, they unilateral power there and are liable for the safety of the players.

Alright, we’re good here.

Elvis P

Chips from the chocolate fireball
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
No, it's not.

This is an article about why it's not going to change. I asked you how you're going to control an arena full of crazy college students and you avoided the question and brought up the irrelevant topics of NIL and the NBA.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is an article about why it's not going to change. I asked you how you're going to control an arena full of crazy college students and you avoided the question and brought up the irrelevant topics of NIL and the NBA.
The answer is however they have to to protect the safety of their assets. It’s already been explained, if you can’t make the connections, that’s a you-thing. Same with a writer who thinks that anything that didn’t happen 10-30 years ago doesn’t apply. As a senior writer for college sports, he should know better, and the fact that he doesn’t tells me he’s an idiot.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Some of the lesser conferences have started their tournaments. Halftime score: Pepperdine 56, Pacific 9. (Pepperdine isn't very good, BTW.)

• Wow
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
How is that even possible lol
You have to wonder, right? Pacific was winless in conference play and had fired the coach a few days ago but even under those circumstances 56-9 is unbelievable. The spread for betting was only 9.5 points. Game ended 102-43.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad