10 years. Time is up Shanahan.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
So you want to trade Mitch for who? A guy that is less offensively gifted to score more goals? Do you want Hyman back for Mitch straight up because he happens to be scoring a series. This is what I'm critizing, this buy high on a penny stock like Hyman who is having a fluke season and sell low on Mitch. It

11M can get you a top 6 winger (Hyman) and a top pair D (Lindholm), or rather just a million shy of it. Aren't we trying to balance the roster? Doesn't make sense having 3 forwards making 11+ M

Winning 2-1 is more sustainable, I want the Leafs in a position to win. The last 8 years have shown the Leafs can't win those series.

This isn't the dead puck era. 2-1 is not sustainable in today's NHL, as mentioned earlier. Even if it is, why are you trying to win low event games when you have dynamic forwards and you've been scoring all year? Doesn't make sense.

Why isn't Colorado changing their style for the playoffs after leading the league in goals (1 more than Toronto)? They're not doing a complete 180

This is also a silly point because the big three are fine against teams that open up the game. Those three are enough to win.

If they were fine, then their production wouldn't fall off a cliff in the playoffs. They've each had moments, but not consistent enough.

Tampa just had their ass handed to them by the team I'm describing the Leafs become.

You mean the team that put up 3+ goals in every game of that series? Lol

Beside Rielly the Leafs don't have one legitimate top four defenseman and 'Voo Doo' goaltending. Scoring comes and goes goaltending and defense gives you a chance to win every game. Can't go cheap on Brodies, Muzzins, Lilgren. Benoit and Edmundson are fine talents to round out the bottom for your cheap cap busters. But if the Leafs don't get Hanifin or Lindholm glue guy they'll never win. I'm not asking for a Norris winner, I'm asking for bare minimum quality blueline.

The blue line can't drastically improve without better allocating your resources, unless you develop your own which we can't seem to do.

Get a goaltender then deal with the cap crunch for a year and fill the roster out with some cheap wingers. You can even trade for another star winger at the deadline and have a non playoff team retain. Wingers are always avaible on the trade market, you can always find a bargian young winger. Wingers are the most disposable position in the league. And before you say 'but you want to give MItch another 11 million' elite is the exception to the rule.

Leafs can't package Woll while he has some shine on him and prospects for a Saros? Trade for Ullmark and if Boston says go f yourself you pull a Burke and say cool, we'll offer sheet Swayman and force you to trade one. Weaponize MSLE money to put Boston in a bad situation.

You'll say 'Boston won't make deal with the Leafs' cool then anytime you can hurt them do it. Make them pay more for their talent. Make an example for other teams in the division that don't want to do business with the Leafs.

Target a team that has goaltending but is as frustrated as the Leafs for losing in the playoffs. You get creative.

Lol is it the exception? The money can be used towards D and G and like you said, you can easily find wingers. It hasn't worked with the current setup (3-4 forwards in double digits), so what makes you think it will going forward?

And I'm all for trying to trade for a goalie. But if the cap allocation doesn't change, we'll be bargain bin hunting again

12 million with the cap going up in the future, you won't do better trying to find offense with that 12 million.

How about you make up an injury for Tavares sit him till the playoffs like teams that want to win do. Leafs have to stop being boyscouts and cheat the system, They have enough lawyers and office dweebs to pull it off

I mean, what's the worst that can happen if we unload one of them? Not make it out of the first round? Lmao

I just don't see the point in spinning our wheels.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
So Boston had a good PK so give away a top ten talent in Leafs history out of spite?
Marner is a regular season darling.

His game only works during when the intensity is lower. When body contact goes up and passing lanes are tight he’s ineffective.

He’s not in the top 200 for playoff performance.

Sooooooo. He’s not a Top10 player.

He wants out anyway. Or at least he should.

Reactions: myleafs

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Marner is a regular season darling.

His game only works during when the intensity is lower. When body contact goes up and passing lanes are tight he’s ineffective.

He’s not in the top 200 for playoff performance.

Sooooooo. He’s not a Top10 player.

He wants out anyway. Or at least he should.
So trade him for a some lesser talent that likely never played in the playoffs?

Better yet trade him for a David Clarkson type player that looked good for a playoff run and half a season.

I remember all this fake media driven whining about how Kessel could never help anyone win. How'd that work out.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021

Better yet trade him for a David Clarkson type player that looked good for a playoff run and half a season.

I remember all this fake media driven whining about how Kessel could never help anyone win. How'd that work out.
He can absolutely help someone win. But not this team. The powderpuff girls won’t win shit together. If he was on Florida or something then hell ya! Free ice for days. But we are not them and never will be until the entire core rolls over.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto

Worked out good for us, we got the number one pick.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
if i remember rightly. he wanted to build a big front office so they can get poached. (and then i guess you have better connections i think it was? but i didn't think it expanded to like five people. )
That idea worked about as well as Dubas' idea of owning an ECHL franchise to help marinate all the uncovered Gems that are now playing for us...oh wait...

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
He can absolutely help someone win. But not this team. The powderpuff girls won’t win shit together. If he was on Florida or something then hell ya! Free ice for days. But we are not them and never will be until the entire core rolls over.
I fully expect him to put the playoff demons to bed on another contender. He is part of a core of guys right now that don't have the ability to really raise their games for some reason or another. If Marner is on Florida he would look like an all star because he won't be depended on to be the guy. That's what he needs...to be more like a Phil Kessel than anything.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
If he was on Florida even his own teammates would beat him up

I fully expect him to put the playoff demons to bed on another contender. He is part of a core of guys right now that don't have the ability to really raise their games for some reason or another. If Marner is on Florida he would look like an all star because he won't be depended on to be the guy. That's what he needs...to be more like a Phil Kessel than anything.
If he can’t be depended on to be”the guy” then he sure as hell should not be making 11 million and wanting 12……that is the core of the problem

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Shanny. You hired this poor architect.

1715596029153.png

For that, you have to go.

I guess your contract will "just expire".

To be honest, I think MLSE CEO should turf you for your bad choice of personnel.

Reactions: TMLife17

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
Shanahan needs to go, he needs to be held accountable as well. We can't have Keefe be the only fall guy here, Keefe didn't get to choose his players. Keefe didn't offer them those contracts.

Shanahan put that idiot Dubas in charge to build one of the softest lineups ever. Shanahan of all people knows that style of hockey doesn't work in the playoffs- yet he let it happen.

Bye Brendan

Last edited:
Reactions: TMLife17

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
It's astonishing Shanabozo still has a job, at least with the players you can spin it, Shanahan as the head of operations is responsible for the biggest catastrophes in arguably Leaf history:

Horrendous hirings
Horrendous wasting of players prime
Horrendous contracts
Horrendous culture

Above all; horrendous results. Unlike the players who may or may not have the talent to win, Shanahan clearly has NO managerial talent as seen by his awful results.

His tenure is twice as long as Burke's and all he has to show for it is 2 extra playoff wins

Reactions: TMLife17 and Al14

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Shanahan needs to go, he needs to be held accountable as well. We can't have Keefe be the only fall guy here, Keefe didn't get to choose his players. Keefe didn't offer them those contracts.

Shanahan put that idiot Dubas in charge to build one of the softest lineups ever. Shanahan of all people knows that style of hockey doesn't work in the playoffs- yet he let it happen.

Bye Brandon
Montour???!!!

Reactions: Clyde Brewer

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I've never been a Shanahan fan. Remember when he said something along the lines that when he was with the Red Wings players took discounts.........NOT!

You'd think players would shave a bit off their asking price when they're given huge signing bonuses on July 1st every year of their contract and complete NMC's.

I think the Leafs are at the top of the list being overly generous to their players.

Does anyone know if he still lives full time somewhere in New York state?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Kessel could pass AND shoot the puck...he is always a threat to score...Marner? Not so much.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Kessel could pass AND shoot the puck...he is always a threat to score...Marner? Not so much.
So Kessel is better than Marner now...

Oh, off season tantrum.

Trade him, get your garbage player that you'll hate even more cause he didnt' get 10 points vs the Bruins :(

It's not Samsonov's fault, it's not Brodie's fault, not Bertuzzi's fault, not Liljegren's fault it's just Mitch and Shanny's fault.

I learn so much on this site...

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
So Kessel is better than Marner now...

Oh, off season tantrum.

Trade him, get your garbage player that you'll hate even more cause he didnt' get 10 points vs the Bruins :(

It's not Samsonov's fault, it's not Brodie's fault, not Bertuzzi's fault, not Liljegren's fault it's just Mitch and Shanny's fault.

I learn so much on this site...

Kessel never had the kind of talent that Marner had playing in Toronto, but on many nights, he's the best Leaf player on the ice. Take off your rosy Marner glasses. Marner is not close to being as clutch in the playoffs as Kessel, and we need someone who shows up in the playoffs.

This Leaf team is done if they extend Marner for another 8 years.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Kessel never had the kind of talent that Marner had playing in Toronto, but on many nights, he's the best Leaf player on the ice. Take off your rosy Marner glasses. Marner is not close to being as clutch in the playoffs as Kessel, and we need someone who shows up in the playoffs.

This Leaf team is done if they extend Marner for another 8 years.
I think your the one with 'rosy glasses' about the Kessel era.

Sure, dump Marner for nothing and use that cap room to land a stud UFA at 6 million like Anthony Mantha because that's the garbage you find when you have excessive cap space but you're bidding at a garage sale. No more elite talent, just overpaid damaged goods.

Tell me more about this reality you think you have a grasp on...

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I think your the one with 'rosy glasses' about the Kessel era.

Sure, dump Marner for nothing and use that cap room to land a stud UFA at 6 million like Anthony Mantha because that's the garbage you find when you have excessive cap space but you're bidding at a garage sale.

Tell me more about this reality you think you have a grasp on...

We all know about the 4-1 meme, but Kessel was clutch in that game 7 in Boston playing (for a weaker Leaf team) against a much tougher Boston team than they have now...too bad the defense and Reimer were bad. Has Marner ever showed up in any of the playoffs in the last 8 years like the way Kessel did that one year as a Leaf?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We all know about the 4-1 meme, but Kessel was clutch in that game 7 in Boston playing (for a weaker Leaf team) against a much tougher Boston team than they have now...too bad the defense and Reimer were bad. Has Marner ever showed up in any of the playoffs in the last 8 years like the way Kessel did that one year as a Leaf?
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Kessel/Kadri/Phaneuf era could beat this team in a 7 games series. We’d make Reimer look like a Toronto God.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Clutch in a series they lost? Sure, I'm the one with rose colored glasses though.

Do you think they should have given Dion the Conn Smyth for his 'underrated' performance in that series too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad