Line Combos: Your lines TOMORROW vs the Panthers

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Why are people saying swayman needs rest? He’s a 25 year old professional athlete who has played 6 games in the last 20 days.

He is not even remotely close to over worked right now

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Until they actually let Forbort play, we don’t know where he is on any sort of depth chart. Peeke will probably be as rusty as Forbort would be. Peeke needs to replace Shattenkirk as soon as possible. Could Forbort play better than Wotherspoon defensively? Or Lohrei for that matter. The big boy hockey seems like it will start now. A lineup with Wotherspoon, Lohrei, and Shattenkirk seems soft for battling along the wall, corners, and net front. I know people get all enamored by the offense skills, but they probably won’t be of much use in this series. And besides, Lohrei had two plus and two minus in 5 games. One plus being the Geekie 0.1 goal. I’d play these 6 when ready

Lohrei / Gryz/ Wotherspoon w McAvoy
Lindholm w Carlo
Forbort w Peeke/ Wotherspoon

I would not play Shattenkirk.

The bottom line is the battles are going to be a lot tougher.
How could they not know where Forbort fits in? Isn’t he pretty well known by now?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I know people get all enamored by the offense skills, but they probably won’t be of much use in this series.

Lohrei's ability to carry the puck out of the zone and elude Panther forecheckers will absolutely be useful in this series. Maybe even critical. One of the biggest test for this D-corp will be can they handle the Panther forecheck better than they did last year. Getting the puck out smoothly and quickly will be key.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
1714997363683.gif

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Goalies get into the God-mode Sway is in once in every 5-6 years in the playoffs? MAYBE? Sometimes more rarely than that.

He didn't even play 45 regular season games, his load has been as balanced as you can get. He only played 6/7 on the last series, including TWO extra days off due to the funny HNIC schedule. No back to backs. This kid is physical beyond ready.

Get in Florida's head right away. Steal a game right away while Bennett is out. This is the time.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Lohrei's ability to carry the puck out of the zone and elude Panther forecheckers will absolutely be useful in this series. Maybe even critical. One of the biggest test for this D-corp will be can they handle the Panther forecheck better than they did last year. Getting the puck out smoothly and quickly will be key.
That's fair enough. I should word what I was thinking differently. There's a big difference with some players as to how they play with and without the puck. Some have bigger discrepancies or gaps than others. For instance, Forbort has a bigger gap at times than say Carlo. Forbort is good without the puck but not as good with it. So, you could do this same sort of analysis on all of the players. I'm just saying in this series it's going to be important to have some players that are good without the puck. There have been several games, not in these playoffs, where I have seen Lohrei get too cute with a heavy forecheck against him, and then he's scrambling without the puck. I think he's earned a start for the series, but I wouldn't be surprised if Monty all of a sudden cuts his minutes. He's done it several times before. Forbort on the other hand has had a career of tough minutes in the third period. It's hard to say whether he can play well again with all of this time off. Florida has more forwards that are harder to contain and muscle out front and along the wall that actually have some very good offensive skills. Like Tchauck and Barkov, let alone Bennet and Verhadgue and Reinhart. Forbort and Carlo tend to focus more on very good coverage. So does Peeke. Guys like Lindholm, Gryz, McAvoy, Shatty, and Lohrei not so much. Too much they fish at the puck with their sticks, rather than box out and tie up the other sticks. Wotherspoon I think tries to tie up sticks correctly, so he's better than Gryz. Wotherspoon has played well.

Reactions: BruinDust

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
How could they not know where Forbort fits in? Isn’t he pretty well known by now?
I agree, but the question is how rusty would he be. You won't know if you don't play him. Same coming up with Peeke. Time off makes you rusty. I'm all for playing 7 D in the games where both of these guys might slot back in. Some of these high minutes won't be sustainable for Lindholm, Carlo, and McAvoy. Their play begins to suffer when situations arise and they are exhausted.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I agree, but the question is how rusty would he be. You won't know if you don't play him. Same coming up with Peeke. Time off makes you rusty. I'm all for playing 7 D in the games where both of these guys might slot back in. Some of these high minutes won't be sustainable for Lindholm, Carlo, and McAvoy. Their play begins to suffer when situations arise and they are exhausted.
I see.

I just don't want to see Grizz, that's my main concern!

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I understand why he won't be in the lineup but Lauko is the type of player that would work well against the panthers. I hope they give him legitimate 4th line time next year.
Oh no Heinen needs to play he played for Monty in college, and don't forget the all important he was a PTO.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
More mental than physical.

The mental is the reason I would not sit him. He is locked in, and you don't want to mess with a guy when they are absolutely locked in. if he comes out, and plays poorly, then maybe you swap back, but for now it has to be Sway.

By the same token, Lohrei has earned his spot in the lineup. If he struggles against Florida's forecheck, then you consider going to Forbort, but not until/unless he shows he is not up for the challenge.

I'd be happy to bring him back as 7D at the veteran minimum.

Is this about Gryz or Forbort, or Shattenkirk. I'd absolutely take Forbort back as the #7 next year, especially if they are not able to find a more physical 6/7 who can play both sides.

I don't want gryz anywhere near this squad at any price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad