Would the Wings have put up a better effort against NYR?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I think basically every team in the east outside of maybe Montreal and Columbus would have fared better than Washington. They are a lottery roster held together with a few players nearing 40 years of age and coached to play low event hockey. Good on them for hanging on to grab the 8th seed, they beat us twice really close to the end of the season which was the ultimate difference in us vs them getting in.

The Rangers are the least impressive or intimidating President Trophy winning team I can think of in recent history. They rely a lot on special teams and historically less penalties get called in the postseason. I would have loved to see Detroit get a chance at them.

Ultimately though I think whoever got in that 8th seed position whether it was us, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, anyone basically would have lost the series so it doesn't matter. All just pointless fan speculation.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
It all depends on what Wings team they got. With the way the season ended on big time high note (from the games not the playoff outcome) I think we would have been. The Wing's highs were a lot better than anything Washington did this year, but ours lows were also worse.

Reactions: rangersblues

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not particularly better. Detroit is still fundamentally a one line team. New York would have smothered the Larkin-Raymond line. It would have been 4-0 or 4-1.

Yup, more effort doesn't necessarily mean better results with this team. Not to mention NYR would have stepped it up if they needed to.

At best the Wings would have won a game, but that's really meaningless.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
All I can say for sure is no one on the Wings would've been as checked out as Ovechkin was that series.

I don't know if he's injured or what but that kind of floating wouldn't even be acceptable in an all star game.

But would they have been checked out as they were in both games against Arizona or that 1st period against Columbus?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
All I can say for sure is no one on the Wings would've been as checked out as Ovechkin was that series.

I don't know if he's injured or what but that kind of floating wouldn't even be acceptable in an all star game.
Crazy because he was looking in his prime to end the regular season. Why couldnt he have played like this a month earlier...

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
The Caps' vet leaders Ovie and Carlson knew they had no shot and it showed through the entire lineup. Larkin, Raymond and Seider would have at least brought a little more energy and blissful ignorance to the series. Despite their talent, Rangers go through stretches where they don't seem to give a damn and get loose with coverage and in their own end. Winning at least one game and keeping a few of the others interesting would have been possible so long as Lyon was at his best, far from a sure thing. A triple overtime loss with Lalonde still holding onto his timeout would have made for good post-game reading.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $110.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs USA
    France vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $35.00