Prospect Info: With the 92nd Pick the Bruins select Quinn Olson LW

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I dont know anything about this kid... but i do know about drafts with other people involved

If 23 people think its a reach and 7 dont... it DOESNT MATTER what 23 people think

If 28 think its a reach and 3 dont... it DOESNT MATTER

We have all seen many late round picks become stars... and many concensus first rounders bust.

It doesnt matter where the majority of opinions rank someone

You pay good money to your own scouts. You form your own opinions. You win if you are correct

Any moron can follow the consensus. Hell even i could do that. Im glad bruins make their own opinions because weve been in finals 3 of last 10 years mostly thanks to picks, trades, and ufa signings the consensus mocked us for

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
That’s a really great response and one I tend to agree with, to be honest. Very refreshing around these parts.
We all would have freaked out had the Bruins taken Torey Krug in the 3rd or 4th round in his draft year, and we would have been dead wrong. I understand that as fans, we have a natural tendency to make snap judgments, but I'd suggest that there's nothing wrong with letting things breathe a bit.

It's an interesting pick. I haven't seen him play. Opinions on him seem to vary greatly. I think we should all maybe sit back and see how things work themselves out.

Caulfield could very well end up being a better player. At the end of the 3rd round, if Olson ends up in the NHL, it was a good pick, regardless of how well Caulfield does.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

bardown23

Live for hockey
Aug 10, 2012
I think that if you like the kid enough, you take him and damn the consensus about where everyone else thinks he should go. It only takes one team to like him as much as you do.

I think people forget the fact that these scouts spend all year watching these players play. Scouts and management also spend copious hours interviewing potential candidates. They know much more than most of the posters here who act like they should be the one’s making the picks. Respect the process.
Most people are vying for the boom or bust, high end skill prospects. We’ve seen first hand this year, and in years past, that size and compete level usually overmatches the skill players and teams. Management has a vision, just believe in their ability instead of crying they reached for a player ranked 3 later by Craig Button.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Dean Malkoc Special I’m guessing? He has earned the trust of the B’s FO with some of his recent picks.

When Heinen was picked in the 4th round in 2015, I was like...Danton who? Goes to Denver and I get to watch him for a couple of years, and I’m like...damn, this kid can play.

Hoping for the same from Olson

Reactions: LouisSleigher

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Dean Malkoc Special I’m guessing? He has earned the trust of the B’s FO with some of his recent picks.

When Heinen was picked in the 4th round in 2015, I was like...Danton who? Goes to Denver and I get to watch him for a couple of years, and I’m like...damn, this kid can play.

Hoping for the same from Olson
I think you mean 14.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
this was probably my favorite pick of day 2. he's a quick kid that has some real sandpaper.
his brother was a ducks pick a few years ago but wasn't signed by june 1. maybe they grabbed
him a little earlier than folks pegged him, but good with the player

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Will you give it up? Muck up every ****ing thread.

To be fair kaliyev or lavoie would have been better picks than Beecher. I like Beecher. I just wouldn’t have selected him with some of the other players left on the board.

Seems like two relative reaches. Beecher probably 10-25 picks too soon and Olson potentially 50-100 picks too soon.

In the end gotta give Beecher a chance, maybe he develops to be a really good player. I just think out of him, kaliyev and lavoie, that Beecher had the lowest ceiling by a considerable amount, but also might have the highest floor of the three as well.

Reactions: Lo97

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Scott Bradley on Olson:

“Two-way center. Has a great pair of legs. He’s got deceptive speed. He has excellent vision, can make high-end plays. A little undersized at this time, we’re hoping for some development physically. We’re excited about this player as well. If he can develop and put some muscle on, he’s got some jam. He’s put up points in each and every year."

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
It's interesting that last year they drafted out of the OJHL and now this year the AJHL. They are selecting some long term development prospects that will go through college and not be ready for 4-5 years.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
To be fair kaliyev or lavoie would have been better picks than Beecher. I like Beecher. I just wouldn’t have selected him with some of the other players left on the board.

Seems like two relative reaches. Beecher probably 10-25 picks too soon and Olson potentially 50-100 picks too soon.

In the end gotta give Beecher a chance, maybe he develops to be a really good player. I just think out of him, kaliyev and lavoie, that Beecher had the lowest ceiling by a considerable amount, but also might have the highest floor of the three as well.
I get the interest in Lavoie, this past year I moved and didn`t see him play but I did watch his first few seasons with the Moose and while he made very good strides in his game, what stood out most to me was that he almost always looked petrified to release from his lane to make a play which isn`t always bad but he was a north-south player without much imagination and vision with the puck.

I think he`ll be a guy who will wind up in the bottom 6

Reactions: Strafer

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
But, you'll admit that it's yet another "reach" for the Bruins braintrust, right?
They took a kid who’s going to college and buys them 4 years

Great program to do it at

They added like 14 contracts in 14 & 15

Have to add up and mix in what Nugs, Kirk, and Steve Kournianos wrote and consider why and who snd add to a sneaky under the radar pick

As Dom said there is a method to their madness

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I know, facts are irritating, aren't they?

Poster brings up that one maven ranked Bruins 92nd pick at 86--ok.

I bring up that same maven ranked guy Bruins did pick at 45 when we took him at 30, and ranked guy we didn't pick at 13--not ok.

That was mucked up, all right. But not by me. I'm just reiterating what just happened.

Feel free to put me on ignore; that's what it's for.
McAvoy was ranked 32 and Carlo 44

I’ve noticed in retrospect that Steve Kournianos has been crushing it the past few years and he’s big on Beecher

I’ll go with him until he fails me

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Honestly passed the first, maybe mid second, I'm not sure anyone is really a "reach". Odds are better they dont make it than do, so may as well pick who you like in the later rounds. They put the work in and know the kids. It's the early picks where the reaches will burn you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad