Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 61 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 11.4%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 43 30.7%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Let's just do the same as the players do and don't care about what is happening right now and think of what will happen in and after the summer <3

The upcoming summer is the perfect time to set the tracks for change. Last year of Wheelers salary on the books (although that's only 2.75 M next season), last year of Ehlers, Iafallo, Appleton, Namestnikov, AJF, Schmidt and Pionk. Weather the Jets management goes for change or not remains to be seen and will, AGAIN lol, be interesting to follow over the summer. I think it is time for the partial rebuild... This is our situation:

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 08.47.16.png

UFAs:
Monahan, Toffoli

DeMelo, Dillon, Miller

Brossoit

RFAs:
Perfetti, Gustafsson, Stanley

Projected cap space: $13,352,976

Following are assumptions that are based on the Jets how they act and think over the last years. I HIGHLY doubt there will be a major overhaul of people and players, so this is what I think will happen based on all these years of experience in the Jets doing business:

Monahan:
I think they will try and re-sign Monahan, succeeding in this depends on the offers he gets. I could see him re-sign for 2.5 M per over 2 years. I am not saying I want him re-signed, I just think it is the most realistic outcome. I think it is just as likely that some team that lacked offense this season gives him a bit more and he'll go there - first team that comes to my mind is Seattle. So I think him being back is 50-50 at best.

Toffoli:
Won't be back - it's mutual.

DeMelo:
They will try and re-sign him HARD. The Jets love Dylan and I think he will be open but will obviously also assess his options on the market. I could see him leave to another offer that is just as good as the Jets offer but gives him a fresh start somewhere else as he probably agrees about the "Jets just don't have it" vibes. This completely depends on the quality of offers he's getting IMO. Also 50-50 at best.

Dillon:
Won't be back as he'll get some nice offers and pick one.

Miller:
Won't be back but who cares.

Brossoit:
Won't be back. Laurent Brossoit is the one single winner of the 23/24 Winnipeg Jets season. This guy is gonna get a sexy offer from a playoff team desperate for goaltending. At this point, I think he has proven that he's worth a two year 3+ M a year as a starting goaltender for some other team. My money is on the Kings (have zero goalies under contract for next year) - I wish him all the best in the world and he deserves all of it.

Chevy:
So yes, we will most likely lose all the assets spent on the trade deadline but oh well it is what it is for a buying team at the deadline. If Chevy doesn't do it and the get bounced just as easily by a better team in the first round, everyone is calling for his head because he didn't get any reinforcements in anyway. But maybe this is part of the blame he'll have to take at this point: Chevy does seem like a guy that will go with the "pleases what the everyone thinks and wants" options instead of maybe doing the hard thing now for a better future afterwards. This might be part of the reason why we are where we are right now - a good team that isn't elite enough to do more than an abover average good team (= 1st or 2nd round playoff exit).

24-25 as of right now based on status:

Connor - Scheifele - Ehlers
Ehlers - Perfetti - Vilardi
Iafallo - Lowry - Niederreiter
Barron - Names - Appleton
Gustafsson, Lambert, Kupari, AJF, Chibrikov

Morrissey - Pionk
Heinola - X
Samberg - Stanley

Hellebuyck
X

I think this is very likely what the team will look like with 0 UFAs coming back. TBH, I want it to be the case because we need to re-tool over 1 or 2, maybe even 3 seasons. No matter the "but we signed Scheifele and Hellebuyck" or "but we don't even really draft this year" etc arguments. Yes those two re-signed long term but they also are both big factors why we are where we are. They can go and suck it if they are unhappy about it.

What are the odds of Salmonsson coming over? I have no idea, not following him that closely. If he does, he's part of the lineup I think because we need him, lol. Look at that right side of the D :laugh:. Then add one average 2nd pair defenseman we sign in Free Agency and that is the roster (+ some backup obviously).

So at THAT point, things actually start to get interesting. Because then you have to take a good look in the mirror and make some honest evaluation of your situation going into the next couple of years. Because the summer after that season is BIG and acting because of it starts this summer - not at the trade deadline 2025, not at the ende of 2025. It starts now.

UFAs 25-26:
Ehlers, Iafallo, Appleton, Namestnikov, AJF

Schmidt, Pionk

RFAs 25-26:
Vilardi, Barron, Kupari, Samberg

This will decide years of the future of this franchise. Obviously cou CAN NOT let Ehlers, Connor, Iafallo, Names and Pionk walk for nothing. These players might not be our future but they all hold some value in this league and the Winnipeg Jets are absolutely not in the position to have these players walk to UFA with no return at all. There are two options: You make a propper, actual plan over the next couple of years and decide based on it or you'll go with the "we'll see what happens" method and decide at the trade deadline next year weather or not to keep these players or to go full sell mode but then obviously the entire next season will be for nothing because we will most likely again be a bubble playoff team and you can't sell half or your roster going into the last quarter of the season with a wildcard place. It is one or the other. Unfortunately, I think Chevy will obviously still in place and go for the second method... If that scenario happens, this franchise is f***ed. This would be the worst possible scenario. This can not happen and I pray to whatever god there may be or not (not a religious person) that Chipman and Chevy REALLY understand and know that.

Now, this is what I would do and here comes the reason for this thread. I would like to know how YOU would handle managing the Winnipeg Jets this summer going into next season because to me, this is the most interesting window of having to actually manage the future of this franchise we maybe ever had since the Jets 2.0. What you're doing now and over the next year and a half will, and I really mean that, define the future of existance of this franchise. If they f*** this up, I could see this franchise move again in maybe 2030/2031/2032. As harsh at it sounds.

Me personally, I would:

Let all UFAs walk but DeMelo. Go hard for a re-signing. 4 years at 4 M - I doubt he'll get a better offer than this. We need him badly because we're going to lose Dillon, Schmidt and Pionk over the next two seasons. We won't have any defenseman left. Then I would take a really, really good look at the market and openly communicate that noone on this team is untouchable and I am willing to listen about offers of everyone.

I would trade Iafallo for sure, Appleton just to get something out of him, even if it is only a 3rd, Namestnikov because there is no way we'll bring him back. Schmidt and Pionk unfortunately are very hard to move because of their contract. Both might be a case of "you need to fiddle them in a package with another player) (Ehlers, Connor?) or you need to send them off at the deadline because teams will be okay in affording them for like a 2nd or 3rd at that point.

RFAs I would definitely try hard to re-sign Vilardi. I don't think he's part of the problem right now - yes he didn't play well in this series but I don't blame him personally. I think he's a player you want to sign long-term for sure. We need Vilardi. I see him and Perfetti as really fitting linemates for the future btw and I am surprised we haven't seen these two on a line together at all this year. I think their styles would fit really, really well together.

Obviously long-term contract for Perfetti.

Samberg - we'll see how his development continues. Right now, I see a lot of Tucker Poolman's development in him unfortunately which scares me a bit. Started out so strong, seemed like sure thing going into the future, regressed quite a bit and faded out more and more. I am not saying that is what is going to happen with Samberg, just that his first two years in the league remind me quite a bit of Poolman's first two years. Let's not hope the path continues...

Stanley - I would trade Stanley this summer as part of a package in a trade.

Baron I would also try and sign long-term but it will depend on the money. I think he's a very fine bottom-6 player to have and he agrees on a fitting contract, I see no reason not to do it. Kupari ... I don't know. I'd wait for next season, hopefully see him healthy for a full year and make my decision based on that.

Starting 25-26 we'd have:

The returns for Ehlers and Connor, a little bit on the side of assets out of the returns of Iafallo, Appleton, Names, Schmidt and Pionk. It is too hard to specify this right now...

Lambert - Scheifele - Chibrikov
McGroarty - Perfetti - Vilardi
Niederreiter - Lowry - Barron
Kupari (?) - Gustafsson - X
There is most likely at least one player out of the UFA trades in here as well.

Barlow in the AHL for at least the 25-26 season IMO

Morrissey - Salmonsson
Heinola - DeMelo
Samberg - X

Hellebuyck
X

Last edited:

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
I'm hoping for something like:
Chibrikov - Scheif - Vilardi
Connor - Lindholm/PionkTrade - Perfetti
Niederreiter - Lowry - Namestnikov
Barron - Kupari - Iafallo
Appleton
Morrissey - EhlersTrade/Tanev
Samberg - Skjei
Heinola - Zadorov
Schitt

New, more offensive coaching staff.

Reactions: Hobble and JetsUK

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the Jets have 11 Fwds signed w/ 2 RFAs. do people really think there will be some youth movement? when do the Jets ever just trade out of deals? im leaning toward the Jets chalking this season as a success and minimal changes. i think they try to re-sign demelo the hardest. and possibly a vet 3LD to platoon with stanley+heinola next year.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
As others have said I think our first priority is Demelo. Dillon has been very good for us, but perhaps that money would be better spent on a RHD. TT is a hard no, Monahan would be nice if he can be had cheap, but this Avs series has really exposed him. This team is going to need it's young guys to take major steps forward to have any chance of competing.

Last edited:

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Go youth movement. Get some of that young speed into the lineup. Get a coach willing to play the young guns rather than falling back on "defensive" 4th liners. I also wish Rutger had been told a spot was reserved for him.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
JMO, and I am not saying to do this because I'm blaming him, because I'm not....

But since he will probably win the Vezina again, put Helly out there just to see what you might get for him. A goalie like Helly can bring you a big return, so see what you can get. Maybe the Jets can get an elite d-man or forward.

But I know Chevy will never do that since he just extended him.

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
I think the team moves away from Monahan toffoli and ehlers that's about it for the forwards.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same d corps back maybe lose one of the Dillons.

Reactions: JetsUK

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The Jets behind the scenes will consider this year a success with an aberration in the playoffs

They went for it by bringing in Monahan and Toffoli and it didn't work
They will look at signing guys long term because they value that
If anyone wants to sign to a reasonable long term deal it will get done

Monahan - Try to sign him but I think they fail here. My guess he is going to want term or his family will not want to move here

Toffoli - Walks

Ehlers - I think they would extend him but its going to really depend on money. He is an exciting regular season player who fans love but he is a no show in the playoffs. He might be able to get us a D in the off season via trade but I can't even begin to think of a D that might fit what we need

Iaffalo - I think they try and move him before or at the draft for a pick(s). Solid player just really not needed I think

Appleton - He is relatively cheap and I think coaches love him. Hated on these boards but I can see him staying

Names - Again a cheap productive player that coaches love. He sticks around as well

Demelo - I think they try and sign him. I hope he and his family love the city. I think you give him a 5 year deal

Dillon - I think you let him walk. Love Dilly and hes a warrior but physically I think he falls apart in a year or 2

Miller - Walks

Schmidt - Untradeable IMO. Maybe someone bites but I think he is here for the year. Servicable as a bottom 6 guy just an immense cap hit though

Brossoilt - Likely gets a longer term deal some where else and good for him he deserves it

There really isn't a lot of room up front with this team even if you trade a player or two but Lambert and Chibrikov had outstanding rookie seasons and both guys deserve a hard look next year

D is harder to say. I don't mind Samberg/Stanley as 5/6 pair. I think Schmidt is back no matter what. If they resign Demelo the D will be ok. I think they need to play Heinola and live with whatever he is going to be. The guy is 23 now and hasn't gotten a chance. Salo needs a year in the minors but maybe he can force his way onto the team. A trade for a top 4 guy would be ideal but again I have no idea who that would be.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
JMO, and I am not saying to do this because I'm blaming him, because I'm not....

But since he will probably win the Vezina again, put Helly out there just to see what you might get for him. A goalie like Helly can bring you a big return, so see what you can get. Maybe the Jets can get an elite d-man or forward.

Personally I wouldn't entertain that idea, but that contract is sweet (relatively). I suspect there is very significant value there.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
The Jets behind the scenes will consider this year a success with an aberration in the playoffs
Unfortunately I think you're right.

Biggest "changes" I anticipate is Bones retires, Arneil named as head coach. Some bargain-bin has-been or never-was as backup goaltending. Few insignificant depth signings. I'm thinking more of a 2022/23 type season, barely make it into the playoffs, dogs*** performance in the playoffs again and bounced in 5.

EDIT:

What I'd like to see but won't happen is some massive changes, huge shakeup to this worthless core of chokers. Trying to keep somewhat within the realm of possibility, I'll consider Scheifele, Morrisey, and Fivebuyck untouchable.

I'd trade pretty much everything else if at all possible. Have spots available for guys like Perfetti, Lambert, Chibrikov, McGroarty who played no part in these annual choke jobs to play.

Try to bring in some high character pieces who can perform in playoffs, especially on defence because that is our area of greatest need. Not talking about "sandpaper" but guys who play hard and at their best in the playoffs. Surely some combination of Ehlers, KFC, Lowry, Neiderreiter, Iaffalo, Vilardi, can get at least some of that.

On an emotional level I don't even care if we get fair value. I was vastly more entertained by our sweep against the Ducks because as frustrating as Pavelec letting everything is was, at least the team out front played hard and made a game of it every game. Hard fought 4-2, 2-1, 5-4 (OT) games. None of this 5-1, 6-2 gutless horse🤬

Last edited:

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I think we need new coaching staff and a little youth movement reset like had after the Anaheim playoff. I’d move Ehlers for a D, or at least a top 4 sure fire RHD prospect. Trade Stanley, Apples and Iafollo for whatever we can get to recoup some draft capital lost. Reluctantly sign Demelo cause RHD are hard to find. We bring up some youth and we play them.

Niedereiter - Schiefele- Vilardi
Connor- Lambert - Perfetti
Chibrikov - Lowry - Barron
Names - Kupari - Gustafson

Morrissey - Demelo
Samberg - Pionk
Heinola - Schmidt

Helle

We likely take a step back, but maybe sniff the playoffs. The next year we bring up Rutger and Salomonsson with Names, Pionk and Schmidt moving on and the new “core” begins.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Trade kfc for a top 4 d to play with Samberg. Move ehlers into kc’s spot. Not that I think either are the answer the way I’m feeling, but, kc has more value and we need to trade value to get a d who can make a difference.
Let mono go. Move perfetti into 2 c spot.

Last edited:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I think we need new coaching staff and a little youth movement reset like had after the Anaheim playoff. I’d move Ehlers for a D, or at least a top 4 sure fire RHD prospect. Trade Stanley, Apples and Iafollo for whatever we can get to recoup some draft capital lost. Reluctantly sign Demelo cause RHD are hard to find. We bring up some youth and we play them.
How many coaches does this team get before it's the players not the coaches?

Maurice, Lowry, Bones, all same results.

I guess the counter-argument is these are all rubbish coaches and Maurice's success in Florida and Bones' in Dallas were just luck?

Will it only be admitted it's the players if we burn through a coach who's considered "good"? Which I guess won't happen since only a very few seem to be held in that regard.

I've lost trust in Chevy, he needs to go too, he's had three head coaches at this point.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Unfortunately I think you're right.

Biggest "changes" I anticipate is Bones retires, Arneil named as head coach. Some bargain-bin has-been or never-was as backup goaltending. Few insignificant depth signings. I'm thinking more of a 2022/23 type season, barely make it into the playoffs, dogs*** performance in the playoffs again and bounced in 5.

EDIT:

What I'd like to see but won't happen is some massive changes, huge shakeup to this worthless core of chokers. Trying to keep somewhat within the realm of possibility, I'll consider Scheifele, Morrisey, and Fivebuyck untouchable.

I'd trade pretty much everything else if at all possible. Have spots available for guys like Perfetti, Lambert, Chibrikov, McGroarty who played no part in these annual choke jobs to play.

Try to bring in some high character pieces who can perform in playoffs, especially on defence because that is our area of greatest need. Not talking about "sandpaper" but guys who play hard and at their best in the playoffs. Surely some combination of Ehlers, KFC, Lowry, Neiderreiter, Iaffalo, Vilardi, can get at least some of that.

On an emotional level I don't even care if we get fair value. I was vastly more entertained by our sweep against the Ducks because as frustrating as Pavelec letting everything is was, at least the team out front played hard and made a game of it every game. Hard fought 4-2, 2-1, 5-4 (OT) games. None of this 5-1, 6-2 gutless horse🤬
Don’t think a team can succeed with schief as their #1 centre as he’s not even top 10, but, with that new contract he is essentially unmovable.

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018

You’re absolutely right. But that would be a bold move. The whole organization thrives on playing it safe, doing what’s east.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
How many coaches does this team get before it's the players not the coaches?

Maurice, Lowry, Bones, all same results.

I guess the counter-argument is these are all rubbish coaches and Maurice's success in Florida and Bones' in Dallas were just luck?

Will it only be admitted it's the players if we burn through a coach who's considered "good"? Which I guess won't happen since only a very few seem to be held in that regard.

I've lost trust in Chevy, he needs to go too, he's had three head coaches at this point.
maurice was fine but here far too long and florida is f***ing stacked...

dallas fans have shared the same thoughts on bones as jets fans, probably even more harsh from what I read

lowry, I don't even know why he even gets mentioned here as a head coach, my guess is to prop up the numbers to make it seem worse then it actually is

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad