Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Even if players are deemed A card automatically from being carded A last year, which I'm still not convinced, the Spits still have 1 A roster spot. 07 first rounder be nice. 07 Second rounders and later can't be traded this year.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
One thing I did find out in my investigating roster rules today is a NHL signed player returned before the February roster addition cut-off does not count against the 30 A-card limit.

Reactions: StormWatcher

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Wow, catching up on everything now. Bowler has done great. Basically replaced Mancini with Toure who just signed a 3 year deal with the Senators in September.

Goalie position is improved. Getting Zito to come back is creative. Fan favorite. I remember the roar of the crowd in that fight where he pummeled Mailloux. I also remember the big goal he scored in game 6 of the OHL finals against Hamilton.

Since Yesterday:
Out: Mancini, Peer, Maillet, Michelone

In: Donoso, Zito, Toure, 3 2nd's and 4 3rd's,

Bowler has acquired 8 2nds this season and probably even more 3rds.

My question to you guys: Is the team really worse after all these trades? You can argue they improved on goaltending and defense. And Zito at least replaces the production of 1 of Peer or Maillet. I think this team will be battling for that last playoff spot right down to the final few games.

Last edited:

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
Publicly Noone really knows why the falling out with Castle. Castle can play better than Morneau although Morneau,so called defensive forward his stats say otherwise. Morneau played 15 more games 3 more points but is -19 compared to Castle-10 with all but 2 games in the dark period. Castle effort game to game has Bern in question.
I wouldn't put to much stock into his plus minus when he plays for a last place team, im referring to his effort level and planting him on the 4th line being that energy guy and also being part of the penalty kill.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
My question to you guys: Is the team really worse after all these trades? You can argue they improved on goaltending and defense. And Zito at least replaces the production of 1 of Peer or Maillet. I think this team will be battling for that last playoff spot right down to the final few games.

Speaking of just the current roster (so far):

In: Toure, Donoso, Zito
Out: Maillet, Peer, Mancini, Michelone, Castle

Donoso is better than Michelone, so there's an upgrade in goal. Maillet and Peer are strong offensive players and Zito can't match both, so that's a downgrade in offence. Toure is similar to Mancini defensively so I'll call that negligible/wash right now. I forgot Castle but, unfortunately, there's nothing there to add to the equation.

Do I think they're better? No. Do I think they're worse? No. They've reshuffled a bit and added a boatload of picks. We'll see what, if anything, Bowler does tomorrow.

spits

Jul 24, 2013

Donoso is better than Michelone, so there's an upgrade in goal. Maillet and Peer are strong offensive players and Zito can't match both, so that's a downgrade in offence. Toure is similar to Mancini defensively so I'll call that negligible/wash right now. I forgot Castle but, unfortunately, there's nothing there to add to the equation.

Do I think they're better? No. Do I think they're worse? No. They've reshuffled a bit and added a boatload of picks. We'll see what, if anything, Bowler does tomorrow.
I have not seen Toure play, so can't judge, but he just recently signed a 3 year deal with the Senators. He has to be a bit better than Mancini?

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I wouldn't put to much stock into his plus minus when he plays for a last place team, im referring to his effort level and planting him on the 4th line being that energy guy and also being part of the penalty kill.
Castle an energy guy is questionable. Plays better when on a line trying to score. When he exerts himself, he is more talented than Morneau, getting him to do that game after game after game has been the issue. He needs to adjust his mindset and could turn into a hell of a pick-up. He was a 1 goal per 3 games for Niagara and 1 per 6 games for the Spits.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

So the team the same?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I have not seen Toure play, so can't judge, but he just recently signed a 3 year deal with the Senators. He has to be a bit better than Mancini?

I can't say either way but I know he was solid and physical when he played in Windsor. Let's hope for the best.

Castle an energy guy is questionable. Plays better when on a line trying to score. When he exerts himself, he is more talented than Morneau, getting him to do that game after game after game has been the issue. He needs to adjust his mindset and could turn into a hell of a pick-up. He was a 1 goal per 3 games for Niagara and 1 per 6 games for the Spits.

Yep, he needs to be top six to be effective in my eyes. He has some talent and we saw very brief flashes of that, but he just wasn't in the lineup enough to get anything going (and, when he was, mostly fourth-line duty).

Reactions: Cherrydon

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
6'7" gets you a contract especially playing with a bit of an edge. Signed no doubt for his upside potential. Currently he is still thin for his big frame. His frame will fill out with age.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
So the team the same?
The team has gotten more tougher and slightly less offensive. Experienced goalie to help Joey. Huge haul in draft picks to build the future. We were likely a lottery pick anyways and when Flint started loading up, chance for a playoff spot sank. Swapping our OA'S for only a slight decline and gaining that many picks is crazy good for the team.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Speaking of Toure,according to Spits website he will #67, he wore #3 in Sudbury
Zito is now listed at #73,when he was here before he wore uni# 91,now being worn currently by Tanner Winegard.
Finally goalie Max Donoso is listed at #92,he wore#35 in Ottawa.

Last edited:

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I still think moving forward we have 3 D, Woodall and Cristoforo and Manzo 07 all who are all smaller D playing more of an offensive style. Manzo has 24 pts with the Vipers in 26 games. Manzo is the highest scoring D on the team and a Rookie. Scored 1 OHL goal in 3 games. 2 on a team is workable but not 3. You also have 06 Walton who is a D style D. To balance the D, either Woodall or Cristoforo has to be moved. Manzo being a 07 with the other 2 being 06's. Would not be surprised to see this balanced out.

Reactions: punch1943

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The team has gotten more tougher and slightly less offensive. Experienced goalie to help Joey. Huge haul in draft picks to build the future. We were likely a lottery pick anyways and when Flint started loading up, chance for a playoff spot sank. Swapping our OA'S for only a slight decline and gaining that many picks is crazy good for the team.
Agree with everything you spoke about, Bowler has literally recaptured lost picks from previous moves.
Perfect illustration -Next 4 drafts,2024,25,26,27 Spits have 18 picks 2nd thru 4th rounds ,8-2nds,4 3rds,6 4ths and of those 18,15 acquired by trade.
Only deficient round is Round 5,just 1 pick in next 4 years,otherwise draft board pretty solid.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Peer to Flint is confusing at best. The kitchener deal fell through because a player refused to report to windsor… info comes from a trusted source. Not really shocked but no takers for Smith. Ill admit i like many of the moves. Problem is a shortsighted GM made a massive error with his HC position and put the team in a tailspin. That move would cost most GM’s their job! Still know far to much about BB to like or trust him im just not a fan. Still hoping Perry returns to coach! Interested to see how the guys react to the changes. Tougher yes, better D? Unsure.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Peer to Flint is confusing at best. The kitchener deal fell through because a player refused to report to windsor… info comes from a trusted source. Not really shocked but no takers for Smith. Ill admit i like many of the moves. Problem is a shortsighted GM made a massive error with his HC position and put the team in a tailspin. That move would cost most GM’s their job! Still know far to much about BB to like or trust him im just not a fan. Still hoping Perry returns to coach! Interested to see how the guys react to the changes. Tougher yes, better D? Unsure.
I heard there was also another team not mentioned on here at all for Peer, but could have been more than 1 potential suitor for him. Sounds like it.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
What was the deal with Kitchener?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad