Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Trap game for the Spits. They were never ready for this game. There is little to no effort in their play. If there was ever a game that shows why they are in last place, this is it .

Bowler is doing all the coaching. Standing up for the Spits while Torres just stands there. Can't see how that will ever work.

Reactions: Teflon and OHL 17

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Hats off to Woodall for standing up for Greentree while the p---ys Smith watches and skates by. Disgusting. Must have soft spot for London still. Release Smith!@ he is nothing like his father. Harsh but true.
Absolutely.
Should of been traded a month ago.
Bowler???

Trap game for the Spits. They were never ready for this game. There is little to no effort in their play. If there was ever a game that shows why they are in last place, this is it .

Bowler is doing all the coaching. Standing up for the Spits while Torres just stands there. Can't see how that will ever work.
Torres used to carrying a clipboard..

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

Torres looks like Eddie Munster.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
The Spits are running around like deer in the head lights.That being said I’ve seen stranger things happen and a quick goal might give them life.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Cristoforo was on ice for all 4 even strength Kinght goals. Good thing he had an assist or he'd be -4 tonight. How is he exiting the zone in front of 2 forwards? Feel bad for Mancini trying to constantly cover him. Woodall, Walton, Eichler all zero tonight. Those 3 are really picking it up. Peer and Maillet not impressive tonight at all. Especially being OA'S no leadership. London bullied most of our veterans tonight. Hunter knows how to get them under our skins every time. The kids had the heart. Good thing their top 4 were out tonight. Average goaltending mixed with lack of grit from our vets really showed. Some taking early x-mas break already? Ughhh.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Cristoforo was on ice for all 4 even strength Kinght goals. Good thing he had an assist or he'd be -4 tonight. How is he exiting the zone in front of 2 forwards? Feel bad for Mancini trying to constantly cover him. Woodall, Walton, Eichler all zero tonight. Those 3 are really picking it up. Peer and Maillet not impressive tonight at all. Especially being OA'S no leadership. London bullied most of our veterans tonight. Hunter knows how to get them under our skins every time. The kids had the heart. Good thing their top 4 were out tonight. Average goaltending mixed with lack of grit from our vets really showed. Some taking early x-mas break already? Ughhh.
Very true

Reactions: oldPeng and OHL 17

spits

Jul 24, 2013
A horrible game. No idea why Davis is on the 3rd line, absurd. Also, why acquire Outwater only to put him on the 4th line with Nesbitt and Martin. How is supposed to produce on that line. Nesbitt is a rookie who isn't a good enough skater yet and Martin likely won't be on the team next year.

Anyways, not a whole lot to say at this point, season has been over for a while.

At this point I agree Davis could end up being a higher draft pick than Cristoforo. Davis isn't big but has the speed and skill, not to mention he hits players hard. Gonna be a good player.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
O'Flaherty was released by the Knights. IMO, he would be a huge upgrade over Struthers or Castle.

A few of us were talking about this tonight. As long as he's brought in to do what he's good at, which is stir and play physical, I'm all for it. You're not going to get the 40-goal guy you drafted, nor should he take a top-six spot. However, he's a solid 05 who can play a very gritty, tough game. If the chance is there, take it.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Some thoughts on tonight...

Goals against:

1 - Cristoforo has his guy along the boards, gets picked by Leonard, who puts him on the ice. The guy Cristoforo had then skates out front, gets it blocker side, and Julian puts it home. I said it at the game and I'll say it here - should have been interference on Leonard. But, they ruled it a goal.

2 - Right after a 5-on-3 PP ends, the Knights come back. Cristoforo is the lone man back. Pass gets by Cristo to Sim, who puts it blocker side.

3- not shown on replay.

4 - O'Reilly skates uncontested into the slot and puts it 5-hole.

5- Giveaway at the Spitfires' line with Greentree and Toms. The Knights skate in and bury it 5-hole.

6 - Skates in from the point, the D-man has to get in btwn, leaving McCue with some space at top of crease. Pass, re-direct, and it's in.

- I'd love to know why they ruled the first London goal was allowed. Every angle I've seen shows interference, which should have nullified the goal.
- Windsor got a 5-on-3 a little while after but couldn't capitalize. You have to take advantage of that, esp when you're down because of sketchy officiating.
- Abraham getting a pair was huge, both for the game and his confidence. The team has talked about how hard he's working so it's nice to see it rewarded.
- A surprisingly quiet game from Greentree who, from my observation, looked tired from start to finish.
- Michelone didn't have his best outing by any stretch. Something felt off; it happens. Fortunately, Costanzo played well in relief.
- Most of the veterans disappeared tonight. Maillet, Peer, Greentree, Smith, and the list goes on... all on the quieter side.
- Mancini had a better game, as did Eichler.
- Windsor with far too many turnovers in the game and it was addressed post-game. Torres said they were weak with the puck and stick battles in the neutral zone. Mancini said they acted a bit arrogant given London had four guys out. They gave London credit, which is appropriate.
- Now... the Greentree hit. He gets blindsided by Ryder Boulton and goes down immediately. Colton Smith is standing near the net and casually skates past Boulton, who's standing there. Woodall flies in from the blueline, drops the gloves, and grabs Boulton AFTER Smith had skated past. Boulton, who I'm told is a legit fighter, does a number on Woodall, who now has a colourful eye (to go along with his other colourful eye from a previous game). Eichler was there, too, so I'm slightly surprised he didn't go.

Smith, though.... you HAVE to drop 'em there without a second thought. You see your leading scorer and one of your best young teammates just got nailed... you HAVE to respond. I know I'm not the only one who was annoyed/upset by the lack of reaction. Post-game, Torres said that they were going to call 5 for head checking to Boulton, but a slowed-down replay showed Boulton hit Greentree's shoulder, so just two for blindsiding. I'm not thrilled about that, either, but it's the OHL.

I just don't understand how you let Woodall, a 5'11 160-pound 17-year-old non-fighter drop 'em with a kid who's from a scrappy, pugilistic blood line?! It's mind boggling.

- Windsor took London lightly tonight and paid for it. Call it a lesson learned or whatever but that's what happened. Full credit to the Knights for showing that, even with major talent out, they can still kick arse and take names. Windsor has to figure out a way to get two points in OS. They have the talent and the ability but going into the break with two big losses in a row would be a stinker.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Some thoughts on tonight...

Goals against:

1 - Cristoforo has his guy along the boards, gets picked by Leonard, who puts him on the ice. The guy Cristoforo had then skates out front, gets it blocker side, and Julian puts it home. I said it at the game and I'll say it here - should have been interference on Leonard. But, they ruled it a goal.

2 - Right after a 5-on-3 PP ends, the Knights come back. Cristoforo is the lone man back. Pass gets by Cristo to Sim, who puts it blocker side.

3- not shown on replay.

4 - O'Reilly skates uncontested into the slot and puts it 5-hole.

5- Giveaway at the Spitfires' line with Greentree and Toms. The Knights skate in and bury it 5-hole.

6 - Skates in from the point, the D-man has to get in btwn, leaving McCue with some space at top of crease. Pass, re-direct, and it's in.

- I'd love to know why they ruled the first London goal was allowed. Every angle I've seen shows interference, which should have nullified the goal.
- Windsor got a 5-on-3 a little while after but couldn't capitalize. You have to take advantage of that, esp when you're down because of sketchy officiating.
- Abraham getting a pair was huge, both for the game and his confidence. The team has talked about how hard he's working so it's nice to see it rewarded.
- A surprisingly quiet game from Greentree who, from my observation, looked tired from start to finish.
- Michelone didn't have his best outing by any stretch. Something felt off; it happens. Fortunately, Costanzo played well in relief.
- Most of the veterans disappeared tonight. Maillet, Peer, Greentree, Smith, and the list goes on... all on the quieter side.
- Mancini had a better game, as did Eichler.
- Windsor with far too many turnovers in the game and it was addressed post-game. Torres said they were weak with the puck and stick battles in the neutral zone. Mancini said they acted a bit arrogant given London had four guys out. They gave London credit, which is appropriate.
- Now... the Greentree hit. He gets blindsided by Ryder Boulton and goes down immediately. Colton Smith is standing near the net and casually skates past Boulton, who's standing there. Woodall flies in from the blueline, drops the gloves, and grabs Boulton AFTER Smith had skated past. Boulton, who I'm told is a legit fighter, does a number on Woodall, who now has a colourful eye (to go along with his other colourful eye from a previous game). Eichler was there, too, so I'm slightly surprised he didn't go.

Smith, though.... you HAVE to drop 'em there without a second thought. You see your leading scorer and one of your best young teammates just got nailed... you HAVE to respond. I know I'm not the only one who was annoyed/upset by the lack of reaction. Post-game, Torres said that they were going to call 5 for head checking to Boulton, but a slowed-down replay showed Boulton hit Greentree's shoulder, so just two for blindsiding. I'm not thrilled about that, either, but it's the OHL.

I just don't understand how you let Woodall, a 5'11 160-pound 17-year-old non-fighter drop 'em with a kid who's from a scrappy, pugilistic blood line?! It's mind boggling.

- Windsor took London lightly tonight and paid for it. Call it a lesson learned or whatever but that's what happened. Full credit to the Knights for showing that, even with major talent out, they can still kick arse and take names. Windsor has to figure out a way to get two points in OS. They have the talent and the ability but going into the break with two big losses in a row would be a stinker.
Yep, first goal was a blown call by the officials, clearly interference.
The 3rd goal was reviewed. When I saw the play in real time, my initial reaction was, "easy call, no goal, gloved in, so why is Sim reacting confidently that it will be overturned upon review?" Replay showed that he gloved it but it hit his stick before crossing the line.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The first goal - the refs did not call the interference on the ice and this would not be a reviewable call. So the non call stands. The only way they can review it would be if a 5 minute major was called for the check to the face. That was not called either so the goal stands.
Spits were never in this game anyway so 1 play is not going to change much.

I'm much more concerned about the readiness of this team to play. Starting to look like a team that is comfortable to lose. A losing culture is a hard thing to shake. I said I'm OK with giving Torres a chance/shot at the head coaching job but I'm not sure he is the one. Everytime they panned over the bench he was not saying a word and was busy checking the dust on the tops of his shoes. Not the type of coach this team needs. We need a DJ clone.

Now they head to the Sound. Not expecting a win but at least play like you want to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad