Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Because he reads these forums and hes tired of answering the questions.
Good win in guelph but bad win for the draft.
Honestly id take best available with first pick but i can assure you id take at least 3 D men including euro pick with my next picks!! They would be fiesty, willing to do whatever it takes and big, with a lack of fear!! Stop picking soft players BB!!!!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
While the timing is a bit odd, maybe Bowler's being asked if Torres will stick around this season and he decided this was a "let's answer for good" moment. I'm sure most people know that the staff isn't going anywhere right now but sometimes you need that formality.

As far as the D goes - Lavigne is supposed to be that grinding, stay-at-home style, plus is 6'5 200, so that's one to add to the pile. I'd imagine you'll see BPA with the first pick, then a focus on D/G in the second and third, and whatever happens beyond that...

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Why is Bowler even making statements like this with so little of the season left? Did he have some edibles? Who thought they would name another coach now?

Ya that is baffling but I can think of 2 reasons.
1- he is actually thinking of taking easy route again and giving the job to Torres.
2- he is trying to show stability to this year's draft class. Don’t want kids considering not reporting or heading south.

Either way it is concerning there was a need for this.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
With only a dozen or so games to go who else would they find dumb enough to take the job. At this stage of the season tanking will probably only get us to 19th place but that gives you a good shot at the 1st overall pick. Problem is it looks like 6 teams are tanking at this time.
Seems to be.
Race to the finish I guess

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Ya that is baffling but I can think of 2 reasons.
1- he is actually thinking of taking easy route again and giving the job to Torres.
2- he is trying to show stability to this year's draft class. Don’t want kids considering not reporting or heading south.

Either way it is concerning there was a need for this.
I understand what you're saying but if it was #1 would anybody really care about the draft? We are still 6 weeks away from the draft. Bowler might have a good idea of who he wants with that 1st round pick but until you know where you draft it's just merely names on paper.

I agree the words he use are scary but we all know Bowler isn't exactly media savvy either. The less he says the better.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That's the thing...

Bowler doesn't say anything, people get upset about transparency.

Bowler says anything, people get upset that it's cliches or not what they want to hear.

Personally, I like what Torres has done and I know the players seem to be locked in, too. I almost want to see what he can do with a better roster.

As for goals against and records...

They've currently given up 284 goals in 56 games. That's 5.07 GAA, which is on pace for 345 against.

The most they've ever allowed is 470 through 66 games. Their most through 68 games is 344, which was back in 79-80,

In terms of the GAA - 82/83 and 83/84 were worse (70 games), 75/76, 76/77, 89/90, 92/93, 97/98 were worse (66 games).

It's been a bad season, no matter how you slice it, but it's not quite getting into historical territory.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
That's the thing...

Bowler says anything, people get upset that it's cliches or not what they want to hear.

Personally, I like what Torres has done and I know the players seem to be locked in, too. I almost want to see what he can do with a better roster.

They've currently given up 284 goals in 56 games. That's 5.07 GAA, which is on pace for 345 against.

The most they've ever allowed is 470 through 66 games. Their most through 68 games is 344, which was back in 79-80,

In terms of the GAA - 82/83 and 83/84 were worse (70 games), 75/76, 76/77, 89/90, 92/93, 97/98 were worse (66 games).

It's been a bad season, no matter how you slice it, but it's not quite getting into historical territory.

:banghead:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
That's the thing...

Agree with most of this but I'm not sure the current coach is the way to go. Last thing Spits need is another experimental year with coaching staff. A proven commodity has to be what Bowler looks for once those qualities become available in the late spring. there is always good coaches made available after the hockey season winds down in the different leagues.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Agree we need defensive coach but you need defensive playing D to make it work. Eichler and Cristoforo -5 over last 5 games. Woodall +1 Walton-3 Winegard 0. I'd let both imports loose after this season and seriously think of moving Cristoforo or moving him to forward. Brings offense but at a serious cost defensively. Scoring 36 pts and still a minus 26 is not what we need. Tom's is already a foregone conclusion to not return. Eichler taks stupid penalties and is -25 with 8 points. Regardless of crap coaching this year with Smith this team could have been in the playoffs. Next 2 games against Flint. Win and there is false hope, lose and face reality of being a bottom feeder. Sitting in 18th we have a big 20% to get 1st pick. 70% odds against currently.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Agree we need defensive coach but you need defensive playing D to make it work. Eichler and Cristoforo -5 over last 5 games. Woodall +1 Walton-3 Winegard 0. I'd let both imports loose after this season and seriously think of moving Cristoforo or moving him to forward. Brings offense but at a serious cost defensively. Scoring 36 pts and still a minus 26 is not what we need. Tom's is already a foregone conclusion to not return. Eichler taks stupid penalties and is -25 with 8 points. Regardless of crap coaching this year with Smith this team could have been in the playoffs. Next 2 games against Flint. Win and there is false hope, lose and face reality of being a bottom feeder. Sitting in 18th we have a big 20% to get 1st pick. 70% odds against currently.
I disagree about moving either Eichler and Christoforo.
Eichler one the few on the D who is physical only just turned 18 in December.
Should note Christoforo was a -22 at the time of the coaching change 21 games into the season.
In the next 16 games prior to the trade deadline Spits went 8-5--2-1 and he was a +1,partner upped up Mancini who was a +7 in the same time frame .
So in his last 34 games played since the coaching change and trade deadline he is a -4, I can live that based on what he in the 16 games prior to trade deadline.
Regarding Eichler he was -11 prior to coaching change,the next 16 games he was a -1,since trade deadline as most teams improved and Windsor didn't so I give him a pass like Christoforo, now if both were 19 like Toms I get your point,not prepared at this time to move either.
Now 1 player that I have been impressed with over the past 10 games or so is Jack Nesbitt, he has 6 points in his last 4 games and 8 points in 7 including 5 goals.
Toss in that he is physical appears to have a bright future,looking forward to watching this guy further develop as he gets bigger and faster.He has certainly earned his extra time and next year wouldn't be surprised to see him rated in his NHL draft year,alot to like about this guy.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I disagree about moving either Eichler and Christoforo.
Eichler one the few on the D who is physical only just turned 18 in December.
Should note Christoforo was a -22 at the time of the coaching change 21 games into the season.
In the next 16 games prior to the trade deadline Spits went 8-5--2-1 and he was a +1,partner upped up Mancini who was a +7 in the same time frame .
So in his last 34 games played since the coaching change and trade deadline he is a -4, I can live that based on what he in the 16 games prior to trade deadline.
Regarding Eichler he was -11 prior to coaching change,the next 16 games he was a -1,since trade deadline as most teams improved and Windsor didn't so I give him a pass like Christoforo, now if both were 19 like Toms I get your point,not prepared at this time to move either.
74 position migh be defenceman but rarely plays it or too soft to do it..
Actual defense coach might help but who knows.
Bowler has a ton of work to do.
Actual work.

Reactions: oldPeng

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Spits finally made up ground on a playoff spot, up to 9 points out. Now is making a playoff spot the best outcome for the Spits? I think we all know the answer to that.
Flint, Flint, Brampton this weekend. The 2 Flint games will decide the outcome of the season. It's a must for Windsor to win both in regulation to get within 5 points. Any points given up will essentially end any false hope of making it. The Brampton game like any other is a must for points.
Now I know where I stand on the final outcome of this season but like any other fanatic it's really hard to cheer for your team to lose.
Top 3 pick is a must. Be safe.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Spits finally made up ground on a playoff spot, up to 9 points out. Now is making a playoff spot the best outcome for the Spits? I think we all know the answer to that.
Flint, Flint, Brampton this weekend. The 2 Flint games will decide the outcome of the season. It's a must for Windsor to win both in regulation to get within 5 points. Any points given up will essentially end any false hope of making it. The Brampton game like any other is a must for points.
Now I know where I stand on the final outcome of this season but like any other fanatic it's really hard to cheer for your team to lose.

If they lose anything to Flint this weekend, it's likely game over. I want to see them win but I won't argue with a top three or four pick.

Also... they play Mississauga on Sunday. Edit: Nevermind, I see what you did LOL my bad.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Top 2 would be best.

Reactions: OHL 17 and KyGuy9

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
As far as the D goes - Lavigne is supposed to be that grinding, stay-at-home style, plus is 6'5 200, so that's one to add to the pile. I'd imagine you'll see BPA with the first pick, then a focus on D/G in the second and third, and whatever happens beyond that...
hes really not

they had calls on zhugin at the deadline, declined to move him, they want him as an import/overage.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
In essence yes but Niagara may have a hard time convincing the top players to report. They can't claim a defected player 2 years in a row so they may have to " reach" a bit for their pick. Likely means a top player might slide down 1 spot. Either way the top 3 projected picks are rated pretty high.
Nice bit of info to hear. I had no idea that a team couldn’t claim a defected player 2 years in a row. I was thinking that with all the top picks we have we might be in a position to take a player who wink/nudge won’t play for us but might end up as a defected player for us. I understand there are 3-4 VG players but have not heard the difference between those and the next group of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad