Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That would be great news let him be someone else's problem. After the Smith and Newbury hire there isn't a reason Walters should sniff this job.

Sorry, let me clarify - this isn't the only place I've heard "Walters to Windsor." I will say that I responded with "I'm not sure I like this because of the suspension" and was agreed with.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Sorry, let me clarify - this isn't the only place I've heard "Walters to Windsor." I will say that I responded with "I'm not sure I like this because of the suspension" and was agreed with.
All areas covered for now...

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Offer Babcock the job if Bowler is not worried about past indiscretions. He is old school good. Just might ask for your Facebook and tic toc photos.

• Haha
Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I got that point to an extent. The opening ended part is "do you mean that's a plus for Walters to get the Spits job because he has other suitors or you hope he doesn’t end up in Windsor."

Just remember the Spits are on the verge of having an interim coach for the past 6 months and their season has been over for 2.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I honestly don't know if Walters has other suitors. I just go by what's thrown my direction; so far, it's been accurate.

As for the interim tag stuff... there are pros and cons to every part of what happened and it's unlikely that everyone is going to agree on what the best solution was at the time. It happened, though, and now the focus is on "what's next?"

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Listen i dont like BB no secret but for him to hire anyone with baggage or without a pretty serious resume would be job suicide imho. By all accounts pretty solid draft, the only pieces left are coaches. He MUST get it right and im sure he knows it. Lots of time to get it right.
Sorry he really needs to hit the Euro draft homerun too!!! It is only May.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The thing for me is this... the OHL Draft seems to have been very solid, while he has a top pick in the Import Draft coming up. Those are both very positive things for the organization. IF Walters is hired, it's going to come with the inevitable, and understandable, scrutiny because of the suspension. That could overshadow the positives and that's not what the Spitfires need right now.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The thing for me is this... the OHL Draft seems to have been very solid, while he has a top pick in the Import Draft coming up. Those are both very positive things for the organization. IF Walters is hired, it's going to come with the inevitable, and understandable, scrutiny because of the suspension. That could overshadow the positives and that's not what the Spitfires need right now.
Agree. No-one can tell me there are not plenty of high quality people out there to hire as HC and new assistant without the drama and baggage. I'm fine with Torres staying on as a AC. I draw the line there WALTERS 5 years as HC he had a 3rd round exit in his 1st year with Oshawa, 2 1st round exits and 2 no playoffs with some fairly solid clubs. Averages about a .550 record. In the West you need to be better than that to succeed.

Reactions: OHLTG

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Agree. No-one can tell me there are not plenty of high quality people out there to hire as HC and new assistant without the drama and baggage. I'm fine with Torres staying on as a AC. I draw the line there WALTERS 5 years as HC he had a 3rd round exit in his 1st year with Oshawa, 2 1st round exits and 2 no playoffs with some fairly solid clubs. Averages about a .550 record. In the West you need to be better than that to succeed.
Someone who actually knows how to teach defense and enforce it would be great..

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
For sure. Disciplined but fair coach holding players accountable. Without good Defense, a team will not excel deep in the playoffs in any league.
Accountable is key.
No wandering players being a "forward " rather than a defenseman..

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Accountable is key.
No wandering players being a "forward " rather than a defenseman..
Treat every player with the same discipline and accountability. Nothing worse than a teacher's pet left with loose reigns when others scolded for same reason

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
To be fair, it wasn't fully on the coaches that the defence had their issues. Bowler gave Smith/Torres/etc very little to work with last season and it cost them.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
They have gotten away from that for sure with a

To be fair, it wasn't fully on the coaches that the defence had their issues. Bowler gave Smith/Torres/etc very little to work with last season and it cost them.
We all know that 1 particular player defensively has a long leash either by Bowler's instructions or Coaches inept approach. Toms was a big bust. They others were improving but yes, coaching had little to work with experience wise.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not doing the cliche "let's go after Cristoforo" thing; that's not at all my intention or desire. The point of the comment was that we were talking about goals-against and how the 2024-25 coaches, whether that's Torres, Walters, or whoever need to be more focused on D... and I'm saying the defensive issues weren't all on the coaches. They deserve some blame (Torres has admitted it), but Bowler gave them a questionable-at-best hand to begin with. That's one of the big goals this off-season; improving the defence and putting them in a position to succeed. Bowler even said similar at the Orientation camp.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I'm not doing the cliche "let's go after Cristoforo" thing; that's not at all my intention or desire. The point of the comment was that we were talking about goals-against and how the 2024-25 coaches, whether that's Torres, Walters, or whoever need to be more focused on D... and I'm saying the defensive issues weren't all on the coaches. They deserve some blame (Torres has admitted it), but Bowler gave them a questionable-at-best hand to begin with. That's one of the big goals this off-season; improving the defence and putting them in a position to succeed. Bowler even said similar at the Orientation camp.
Talking is one thing.
Actually doing is another...

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad