Who's blowing a 3-1 series lead?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I find it hard to see any of the teams with a 3-1 lead blowing it, but I'll run through the list.

-Winnipeg may have the best chance of the three. Colorado's really scary when they can control the play and rather dominated the Jets in game 4. However, Hellebuyck, despite his performance so far in the playoffs, is a good goalie and could very well steal a game or two. Georgiev, after getting lit up in game 1, has been pretty solid, but is still a bit of a question mark. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

-I'm just not seeing it with Toronto. Swayman has been great and Toronto is not doing well with their power play chances. It's gone really cold. However, just because the hockey gods are weird sometimes, I could see this getting to a game 7, with Toronto losing game 7.

-Nashville lost a heartbreaker in game 4, blowing a two-goal lead late and losing in overtime where they had a really good chance to even the series with a home win instead. Vancouver's goaltending carousel is their biggest weakness going forward in the rest of the series, but they've played quite admirably in front of DeSmith and Silovs. I'm not really seeing Nashville taking 3 in a row.

-Tampa Bay is thin on depth but still has a decent core and a decent goalie. Them being down 3-0 before avoiding the sweep aside, you never know. However, Bobrovsky is a really good goalie and has been playing well this series. I highly doubt he turns into a pumpkin to allow the reverse sweep, and could very well just "goalie" the Bolts into one more win to cap off the series.

-The New York Islanders have actually kept all four games reasonably close, including blowing their 3-0 lead in one game. Carolina has an edge over them, but it's not a huge edge due to their play style. Each game might as well be a coin flip, but you never know, they could get lucky. That said, I don't like their chances either.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Nada.

• I don't have faith that the Jets' core group can suddenly flip the switch. Hellebuyck, Scheifele, Ehlers, and co don't seem to have the playoff mentality.
  • Predators have to be demoralized after losing the way they did. They also lost both games at home. Not a good sign. They play a heavy game, but don't have enough finishers.
  • Oilers have showed they can win a low-scoring game and by lighting you up. That should spell the end for the Kings.
  • Tampa look old. Even when they mount a charge, Florida has been able to weather it and respond.
  • We'll see if the Knights can go up 3-1 tonight.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
On paper, Nashville probably has the best chance because Vancouver is down to their third string goalie. They don't have the forward depth to do it though.

With Florida playing some of their worst hockey the other night, they still barely lost. It's clear they are the better team. Not happening. TB still only plays one or two periods here or there. Not enough consistent play.

See straight above for Canes. At their worst, they lost in 2 OT. Maybe the Isles win one more. But three straight? Not unless Carolina gets down to their 4th goalie or something. Isles just don't have the talent.

LA would have the second best chance IF they had prime Quick in net. No question. But they somehow have the worst goalie(s) in this series. And against the team they match up worst against. I don't see it.

Toronto will force game 7. But I'm making no predictions beyond that. Right now, this probably looks like the craziest and most unusual take. However, Boston can never put the Leafs away easily. Not when they were way better in 2013. Not when they were up 3-1 in 2018. Not this year either. Maybe it's those series that jadded me.

Dallas will win tonight and take the series in 7 imo. Vegas got lucky in the first two games. And really should not have been in game 3 at all but for Thompson.

Jets have zero chance imo. They've looked by far the worst of the teams down in their series. Undisciplined and being outskated. Helly is up there as one of the most dissapointing postseason players/goalies. For as good as he is in the regular season, he is equally as bad in the postseason.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
You could have listed those options in the OP, you know.

The NHL’s scheduling does make that a nuisance tho. We might not even know if Vegas is a team that has a 3-1 lead to blow, until we know that Florida has already proven they won’t.

But yeh there’s 6 teams up 3-1 right now (Boston Carolina Florida Vancouver Edmonton Colorado) and one more that might or might not get there tonight (Vegas). This year’s first round might be entirely devoid of series that reach 2-2 after 4 games.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Preds have the best chance, Nucks have looked awful.

That said, I don't think any will lose.
I don't think they have the forward depth to take advantage of Vancouver's backups etc.

I do think Vancouver is in some real trouble if they get Edmonton in round two though. They would be facing a team that most definitely can take advantage of a backup in net. And a team who doesn't have issues scoring at all.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
I find it hard to see any of the teams with a 3-1 lead blowing it, but I'll run through the list.

-Winnipeg may have the best chance of the three. Colorado's really scary when they can control the play and rather dominated the Jets in game 4. However, Hellebuyck, despite his performance so far in the playoffs, is a good goalie and could very well steal a game or two. Georgiev, after getting lit up in game 1, has been pretty solid, but is still a bit of a question mark. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

-I'm just not seeing it with Toronto. Swayman has been great and Toronto is not doing well with their power play chances. It's gone really cold. However, just because the hockey gods are weird sometimes, I could see this getting to a game 7, with Toronto losing game 7.

-Nashville lost a heartbreaker in game 4, blowing a two-goal lead late and losing in overtime where they had a really good chance to even the series with a home win instead. Vancouver's goaltending carousel is their biggest weakness going forward in the rest of the series, but they've played quite admirably in front of DeSmith and Silovs. I'm not really seeing Nashville taking 3 in a row.

-Tampa Bay is thin on depth but still has a decent core and a decent goalie. Them being down 3-0 before avoiding the sweep aside, you never know. However, Bobrovsky is a really good goalie and has been playing well this series. I highly doubt he turns into a pumpkin to allow the reverse sweep, and could very well just "goalie" the Bolts into one more win to cap off the series.

-The New York Islanders have actually kept all four games reasonably close, including blowing their 3-0 lead in one game. Carolina has an edge over them, but it's not a huge edge due to their play style. Each game might as well be a coin flip, but you never know, they could get lucky. That said, I don't like their chances either.
As a jets fan we have no chance. Makar and mackinnon are too much too handle and our offence especially the 2nd line has dried up like it has several times this year. Difference here is that during the times in the regular season when our offence dried up we werent playing Colorado every game. Hellebuyck has not had a great series but even if he played really well we’d still lose in 6.

Nashville has the best chance of coming back as they’ve outplayed Vancouver the last 2 games despite losing both of them. Those 2 teams are the 2 worst in the conference imo unless Patterson can get back into form.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Going in, the only series that looked lopsided was Rangers-Caps.

Crazy.
I expected Canes/Isles to be fairly quick as well, though I know the Islanders typically never make things too easy.

The big surprise is Jets/Avs. Definitely thought the Jets (and Hellebuyck) would be able to slow them down more than they have.

Kinda interesting though after all the hand-wringing about so many "unfair" first round matchups where everyone thought 2 good teams were having to play each other too early has resulted in a lot of those teams getting blown out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad