What is the team's biggest roadblock to make the playoffs next season?

What needs to improve the most or is the biggest roadblock?

• Continuous improvement of the special teams

Votes: 18 7.6%
  • Improved secondary scoring

Votes: 110 46.4%
  • Defense and ability to defend a lead

Votes: 53 22.4%
  • Division

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Coaching staff

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • More success in OT/SO

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 5 on 5 play

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 34 14.3%

• Total voters

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It's true that this team fought like hell. Pointlessly and for a 5th worst finish. In terms of counting stats there's nothing that this team does well. Bottom 10 in PK, PP, GF, GA, SA, SF. Maybe fancy stats say we're just extremely unlucky.
In 5on5 GF% we went from being ranked 28th (44.1%) to 26th (44.8%) to 18th (49.4%) in the league.

We've been steadily giving up less goals and scoring more goals. It's a trend that's likely to continue into next year. Special teams really sunk us last season, which isn't too surprising because it's not something that they've spent a lot of time at practice actually working on since the focus was on improving 5 on 5 play.

Reactions: StCaufield

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Other - Goaltending.

And I'll freely admit I'm biased...or at least, conditionned to think like this as a Hab fan. But as far back I can remember following this team, we've always relied on exceptional goaltending to manage anything. This was true with Roy....than Theodore in his run where he got the hart....Halak got hot in 2010...and Price was great for his career.

So for me - it feelds weird being able to do anything without stellar goaltending. So I think that's what's missing the most.

Not sure Montembeault or Primeau are good enough.

Reactions: zeeto

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The goal is the Cup not sneaking into the playoffs.
Kind of similar to single dating days right? if you're not getting layed guaranteed,why bother going out in the first place right.:phew:

The league and hockey changed, he put his faith in his gm, his gm was wrong, he hired a "modern" manager. Dynasties are rare now, we have to accept it.
Change is inevitable, some things change for the better,some change for the worse,doesn't mean one has to like it.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Kind of similar to single dating days right? if you're not getting layed guaranteed,why bother going out in the first place right.:phew:
Dear Lord I cannot help you if you cannot differentiate between having a goal of winning a cup or a goal of making the playoffs. Sorry for your luck. :dunno:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think Primeau will take over #1 duties next season. He was starting to mature second half of season. 8-4 with .910% save Percentage in second half

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Other ... the Habs will improve somewhat this off season, but all teams will be improving. The improvement of the Habs won't be enough for them to catch up and pass the top four of the division, nor the all the other teams, including the Central division teams, fighting for that last wild card spot.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Other ... the Habs will improve somewhat this off season, but all teams will be improving. The improvement of the Habs won't be enough for them to catch up and pass the top four of the division, nor the all the other teams, including the Central division teams, fighting for that last wild card spot.
Not all teams improve, some regress. Habs need to stay healthy and get Dach back producing. It won't be enough but like I said not all teams improve. They try to but it doesn't always work out that way.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Not all teams improve, some regress. Habs need to stay healthy and get Dach back producing. It won't be enough but like I said not all teams improve. They try to but it doesn't always work out that way
I see the Bruins, Pens and Caps regressing, probably not enough to affect the Habs. I see the Habs, Sabres, Senators and Devils progressing. I don't see us in the playoffs next year.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I see the Bruins, Pens and Caps regressing, probably not enough to affect the Habs. I see the Habs, Sabres, Senators and Devils progressing. I don't see us in the playoffs next year.

We've been waiting for the Sabres and Senators to progress for like a decade, I wouldn't just assume they will at this point.

There's also regression for Tampa, the Islanders aren't particularly good with not much runway to improve either.

We won't make the playoffs but we won't be picking near the top 5 either.

Reactions: Sorinth

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
You can’t step forward when you have only one and a third NHL level forward lines. The fact that we were competitive in so many games last year was a testament to the strength of our first line; our mobile defence and usually strong goaltending.

We will be pretenders until we drastically upgrade our bottom three lines.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You can’t step forward when you have only one and a third NHL level forward lines. The fact that we were competitive in so many games last year was a testament to the strength of our first line; our mobile defence and usually strong goaltending.

I deally Newhook and Roy are on the 3rd line. I mean Newhook seems like he could be a legit top 6 forward playing with Dach next year. Roy may need more time. But a Newhook centered line with Armia on one wing and Gallagher or Roy on the other side could be a legit 3rd line. We'll see if Hughes brings in one or two pieces for that 2nd line...

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
We've been waiting for the Sabres and Senators to progress for like a decade, I wouldn't just assume they will at this point.

There's also regression for Tampa, the Islanders aren't particularly good with not much runway to improve either.

We won't make the playoffs but we won't be picking near the top 5 either.
Yeah we can't count them out because you never know maybe this year they finally figure out what it takes to win games or get a goalie has a career year and saves/carries them. Both Sabres and Senators got less points this past season then they did the year before, just because they are mostly young doesn't mean they are going to improve.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Nobody is going to like me saying this......but I wouldn't mind one more year top 5 pick.....just my opinion......
It appears that isn’t HuGo’s opinion however

And losing 2C a shift into game 2 of the season after being the best player on opening night …

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I went with defence. I’d say Habs had at the very least average goaltending but still finished 6th worst in goals against. This is IMO an indictment of how bad that defence was. They just cannot allow this much goals if they want to succeed. The D would need to be way better for the Habs to really have a chance at making the playoffs

At D, we'd have to hope for a quantic leap in D from Matheson, Xhekaj, Strubble, Harris (if he's still here), for Hutson not to be too much of a burden at 5v5 right from the start and the same with Mailloux. That or Montembault-Primeau play like Jennings tendies
I think that you should consider the absolutely catastrophic season Allan has had, in the equation. Yeah, defensive squad wasn't good enough but Allan was given +- 5 goals per game. Now that he isn't around the team, you will see the stats are going to be a lot better.

Last edited:
Reactions: TesseractPrice

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I went with defence. I’d say Habs had at the very least average goaltending but still finished 6th worst in goals against. This is IMO an indictment of how bad that defence was. They just cannot allow this much goals if they want to succeed. The D would need to be way better for the Habs to really have a chance at making the playoffs

Secondary scoring would help but honestly Dach + Newhook together on a line with Roy or Armia is a more than fine 2nd line for a team that finished 5th worst the year prior. The 3rd line will probably be terrible though with Anderson-Dvorak-Gallagher or something. The 4th line is not much of a priority considering everything else. The 3rd line could be upgraded; I would have liked Dakota Joshua as a UFA bottom 6 veteran with size, but with the playoffs he's having dude is going to get paid. Also Anderson is still here, Gallagher should regress and so could Armia. We really have to hope Roy will be a good top 6 player next season and that top 6 would honestly be more than enough for a basement dweller

At D, we'd have to hope for a quantic leap in D from Matheson, Xhekaj, Strubble, Harris (if he's still here), for Hutson not to be too much of a burden at 5v5 right from the start and the same with Mailloux. That or Montembault-Primeau play like Jennings tendies
Fwd back checking not D - been mentioned a few times, analytics show Habs were 3rd worst in NHL in allowing D zone entries and odd man rushes.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
In almost every category, Montreal was among the league's worst teams... except 5v5 GA. Habs were 16th in even-strength GA, which is pretty good considering our young D. However, put us on the PK and we bleed goals-against. Even on the PP we allowed the most shorthanded goals in the league (12 - tied with Detroit and Pitts).

The takeaway: we were good enough defensively when everyone was on the ice; we sucked when someone went off – on either team.

The good news is the solution to that problem is discipline and experience, both of which should happen organically with our young, developing defence. Hutson and Mailloux will be wildcards who will undoubtedly screw up, but the roster's overall gain in experience will hopefully be a net gain. Fewer dumb penalties and more responsible defence in our zone is a realistic goal, which will add a few W's.

Allowing fewer goals is great, but to make the playoffs we'll have to score more. For that to happen, we'll need luck with our forwards. Health luck. Development luck. Trade luck. Drafting luck. Even with Slafkovsky continuing his development we're miles from being a strong offensive team. But if we get lucky this season with Dach, Newhook, Roy, our 2024 pick, Hughes' next big trade, and some other wildcard, we could be knocking on the Wildcard door. I wouldn't bet on it, but it wouldn't be a shock, either.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The goal is the Cup not sneaking into the playoffs.
That’s the end goal for sure. But you need to walk before you can run. I don’t think we’re a playoff team this year but it’s a good goal to have going into the season. I like the direction we’re going. There’s a plan in place and our prospect pool has improved significantly in recent years. I’m optimistic about the future.

Reactions: Lshap

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Not all teams improve, some regress. Habs need to stay healthy and get Dach back producing. It won't be enough but like I said not all teams improve. They try to but it doesn't always work out that way.

All teams work towards improving, or to put it in other words, work towards what is best in the future for the team, even if that means selling off to do a rebuild. Improvement by rebuilding. If they aren't doing that, then they will work towards putting together the best team of players and coaches that they can. Nobody sits still.

What the Habs are putting together is improvement but it won't challenge the teams above them, especially the top four in the division.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
All teams work towards improving, or to put it in other words, work towards what is best in the future for the team, even if that means selling off to do a rebuild. Improvement by rebuilding. If they aren't doing that, then they will work towards putting together the best team of players and coaches that they can. Nobody sits still.

What the Habs are putting together is improvement but it won't challenge the teams above them, especially the top four in the division.
You and I pretty much said the same thing

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Other - Goaltending.

And I'll freely admit I'm biased...or at least, conditionned to think like this as a Hab fan. But as far back I can remember following this team, we've always relied on exceptional goaltending to manage anything. This was true with Roy....than Theodore in his run where he got the hart....Halak got hot in 2010...and Price was great for his career.

So for me - it feelds weird being able to do anything without stellar goaltending. So I think that's what's missing the most.

Not sure Montembeault or Primeau are good enough.

It is true. Jeff Hackett was very good in those dark years as well.

The exception was maybe 97/98 where the Habs didn't really have a starter and Thibault split time with moog. Moog was decent but at the end of his career with a wonky back. That year, the Habs made the 2nd round but it didn't necessarily feel like it was on the back of insane goaltending.

Vokoun was also in this organization and went on to have a pretty good career.

It's one position where they have had no problems drafting and developing, although I suppose they stopped investing as much into it when they had price for the long haul.

And now we are in uncharted territory at goalie, but I'd also say thay the position itself has gotten more volatile in general over the years. You just never know what you're going to get from one year to the next even with some of the more highly regarded tenders these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad