What is the team's biggest roadblock to make the playoffs next season?

What needs to improve the most or is the biggest roadblock?

• Continuous improvement of the special teams

Votes: 18 7.6%
  • Improved secondary scoring

Votes: 110 46.4%
  • Defense and ability to defend a lead

Votes: 53 22.4%
  • Division

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Coaching staff

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • More success in OT/SO

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 5 on 5 play

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 34 14.3%

• Total voters

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The team doesn't have enough talent yet to get to 95 points. I see about 80-85 pts. next season,, 2025-26 season, we should be there or close to there and by then, NYI, Wash. and Boston are likely to be out of the top 8 in the East.
Well we don't necessarily need 95 points, 91 was enough to make it in this year, 93 the year before.

If we only get to 80 points next season I would consider that pretty disappointing. 85 would be sort of my expectation if we do very little this offseason and just rely on internal growth.

Reactions: Rozz

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Dach isn’t some huge game changer. Hes got a career high pace in the 50s. People need to stop pretending that he’s our savior.

A 50 pt player for this team is a game changer. Our 1st line is fine. We need at least 2 more players in that 50 pt range. Dach & Newhook need to be that.

Our scoring after the top 3 is deplorable. After the top 3 & Matheson, in #4 is Newhook with 34 pts and he only played 55 games.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
A 50 pt player for this team is a game changer. Our 1st line is fine. We need at least 2 more players in that 50 pt range. Dach & Newhook need to be that.

Our scoring after the top 3 is deplorable. After the top 3 & Matheson, in #4 is Newhook with 34 pts and he only

If dach can stay healthy with linemates that don't drag him down, I feel very confident he he can surpass the 50 point plateau, and rather easily too.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Dach isn’t some huge game changer. Hes got a career high pace in the 50s. People need to stop pretending that he’s our savior.
He doesn’t need to be a saviour.

When he’s played he’s played extremely well. He’s a young playmaker with size. Love this guy. Depending on what happens at the draft, I like the idea of having CC with him. I think CC and Dach would work really well and they can blend in Roy and Newhook (or whoever we’ve got in the draft.).

If he can do what he’s already show he can do - keep the puck in the opposing zone and get the puck to CC, we’ll have an awesome line.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
It will all depend if Kirby can stay healthy but also can he keep improving? Heading into the season last year he looked like a 70 point center. Now we no longer have an idea what type of player we are getting.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022

Our scoring after the top 3 is deplorable. After the top 3 & Matheson, in #4 is Newhook with 34 pts and he only played 55 games.
A healthy Dach next season is a no-brainer for at least 65 pts.

• Haha
Reactions: Rozz and Gravity

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I think the Habs have a young D corps of future killers, but they're all too young.

I think the biggest barrier to making the playoffs next year is that we will still have one of the youngest D corps in the league, and we will have to accept defensive lapses because of this.

I mean, Guhle, Xhekaj, Hutson, Struble, Harris, Barron - these guys are probably ~5 years from their primes.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hello all,

I would say this year was a success all things considered as far as the rebuild is concerned.

In your opinion, if you had to choose 1 thing out the following, what represents the biggest roadblock or what needs to improve the most in order for the Habs to make the playoffs?

a) Continuous improvement of the special teams: 27th for PP as of today & 24h for PK.

b) Improved secondary scoring (26th for Goals For, 6 players on pace for 50+ points, not much else after)

c) Defense and ability to defend a lead (record of the team in 1 goal games + 3rd in the league for Shots against per game).

d) Coaching staff (lack of a veteran presence)

e) Division (hope for some of the better teams to take a step back and for OTT/BUF to continue to swim in mediocrity

f) 5 on 5 play: lack of regulation wins (30th in the league for regulation wins)

g) More luck/success in extra time (10 wins, 16 losses)

h) other (please comment)
H/Other.................Staying healthy. Injuries limited to KEY players.
That's the big one for me....the number of man games lost, will determine if we can head into the pretender category, where we challenge for da playoffs, and be buyers somewhat at the deadline.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Scoring depth is the biggest issue/area in need of upgrade to push the team into the playoff picture.

A healthy Dach & not trading Monahan & we'd have been in the wild card race until the end.

Adding legit 1 top 6 contributor and an upgrade to the 3rd line would do wonders for this group

We are much closer than some fans think imo. We did more with less than most teams this year, that trend will continue next year as our young core gets more & more comfortable/consistent

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
I believe the biggest roadblock is the division itself. I didn't look up their record but I know they have problems beating several of those teams. The Habs scored the fewest goals in the division and gave up the most. The top four are all well run organizations for the most part and the other three have a lot of young talent.

All the Habs can control is their own back yard and there is room for improvement up and down the lineup. Goaltending is ok, although they should have a capable #3 in the organization in case of injury. Would be nice to bring Monahan back but with the season he has had, he is sure to have some teams interested. A young offensive centre with size by trade/free agency or draft would be great. Good playoff teams have strong fourth lines, do they want to add a veteran or two there? And as long as they go with a young D core there will be a lot of growing pains.

Seeing what happened in Jersey this season it's a reminder that a rebuild can take a step back pretty quickly. There's an old saying 'slow and steady wins the race'. There should be some natural progression within the group. And a couple of team first veterans to help guide the youth would be nice.

Edit: The Habs only won 5 of their 26 games within the division (5-13-8)

Last edited:

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Not being good enough… yet

Defence is inexperienced and there is serious lack of forwards with defensive acumen.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
No one said he was but Hab don't have enough top 6 calibre forwards that they can afford to lose one unless their first pick is ready and they trade for one.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think the Habs have a young D corps of future killers, but they're all too young.

I think the biggest barrier to making the playoffs next year is that we will still have one of the youngest D corps in the league, and we will have to accept defensive lapses because of this.

I mean, Guhle, Xhekaj, Hutson, Struble, Harris, Barron - these guys are probably ~5 years from their primes.
Because of this ?

Or because of this ?

1713723247509.png

• Haha
Reactions: Canadienna

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Other than Dach, man games lost wasn't out of the ordinary. Injuries are part of the game
The loss of Dach and Newhook ended any chance they had. Hopefully the defense will be improved and a forward or 2 is added and they can survive another Dach injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad