What in the heck is wrong with Elias Pettersson?

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
He legitimately looks like he forgot how to play hockey. Barely AHL level. He needs to be put in a lab and studied by scientists.

UED

May 2, 2021
If we don't count the bubble then this is his 1st playoff appearance.

Also its hard to disappear when he has been a ghost for the last few months.
That's true, but if we don't count 1917-2023, Pettersson has been in every single playoffs in NHL history. That's impressive playoff experience.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
0 shots, -1 tonight. Makes more money than Marner and is even worse in the playoffs.

He makes 3 million less than Marner this year

Over their entire careers Pettersson will outearn Marner for one year, and it's the last year of Marner's contract and the first of Petterssons.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Shoulder probably.
Chronic injury that needs off-season surgery and 6-8 weeks recovery, which isn't viable right now.
Pettersson injured is still better than a call-up or replacement level player, so he is playing.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Shoulder probably.
Chronic injury that needs off-season surgery and 6-8 weeks recovery, which isn't viable right now.
Pettersson injured is still better than a call-up or replacement level player, so he is playing.

I’d argue just about anyone would be an improvement over Pettersson so far.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
So going into game 5 of the Stanley Cup playoffs, if you were Rick Tocchet, you would pull Elias Pettersson out of the lineup and put in Nils Aman?

Not a chance. I said he’s been so bad that basically anyone would have been better than him so far. It has been shocking to watch.

chum

Feb 27, 2002
he has issues, but i wonder whether his lower body is injured. like when he missed open net in game 2 he wasn't pushing his lower body while taking that shot. also just see him glide around.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
His his stop/start looks labored, there's no weight on his shooting, there seems to be a disconnect between his brain and his body. I won't pretend to know exactly what's going on, but if it's revealed he needs surgery after the playoffs, let's just say I won't be surprised

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
1) Weak on his skates
2) Weighs to little to be physically imposing
3) Appears to be mentally fragile.
4) Has a gimp wrist.
5) Gets frustrated when he isn't playing well.
6) No determination
7) Talks about winning, but doesn't know how to win (he may learn)
8) Wanting to be the man may be biting him in the ass with the increased exposure and scrutiny.

Some serious serious concerns amongst Canucks fans who aren't emotionally infatuated with him. He is a fantastic complimentary player but nowhere near a superstar. Should be in the 8M pay range.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Seems to be a mental thing. When he had that open net one-timer that he completely missed in Game 2 or 3, his immediate reaction was that of a guy who hasn't scored for 40 games; totally defeated. Like dude, you're good enough to take over the next shift and have a grade-A scoring chance.

Either that, or he's got injury problems that he may or may not have had diagnosed. Shame cause he's really fun and dangerous when he's on.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
I hope he saves himself for more important games.

1) Weak on his skates
2) Weighs to little to be physically imposing
3) Appears to be mentally fragile.
4) Has a gimp wrist.
5) Gets frustrated when he isn't playing well.
6) No determination
7) Talks about winning, but doesn't know how to win (he may learn)
8) Wanting to be the man may be biting him in the ass with the increased exposure and scrutiny.

Some serious serious concerns amongst Canucks fans who aren't emotionally infatuated with him. He is a fantastic complimentary player but nowhere near a superstar. Should be in the 8M pay range.
Thread about Pettersson not about Leafs.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
You see, the problem with "alien" is that when he overthinks his game, his head gains mass. when that happens, the center of his gravity gets off centered and it messes with his mechanics to shoot wrist shots. You can easily tell because he becomes the most often up-ended player in the league when this phenomenon occurs.

Solution: ankle weights.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
He looks like he's overthinking things. Sounds like generic hockey talk but really he just needs to simplify his game and start shooting more. Try and have fun out there.

Reactions: crowfish

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
He makes 3 million less than Marner this year

Over their entire careers Pettersson will outearn Marner for one year, and it's the last year of Marner's contract and the first of Petterssons.
You dont know how much Marner will get on his next deal. All we know is that Petersson’s new deal has him making a few mil more than Marner despite being a worse regular season and playoff performer.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
You dont know how much Marner will get on his next deal. All we know is that Petersson’s new deal has him making a few mil more than Marner despite being a worse regular season and playoff performer.
I am guessing math wasn’t your strongest class. I would love to hear your justification for how Marner’s 49 points in 54 games is somehow better than Pettersson’s 20 points in 21 games. This includes Pettersson playing injured this series for 2 points in 4 games.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
I'm not sure what you don't understand. Multiple people have interpreted your comments differently. Players aren't always on the ice with the same people, all the time. You could be precise if you wanted people to interpret exactly what you intended, but instead you got pissy

It cannot be misinterpreted if you use common sense.

I’d argue just about anyone would be an improvement over Pettersson so far.

I'd argue you do not know puck.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
He was always pretty streaky, was he not? Flashes of brilliance followed by periods of coldness. Also he's injured iirc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad