Pre-Game Talk: Week 16: The Week Before The All-Star Break; Caps and Queens

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just like I thought. Can't justify breaking up The Roaring 20's line. Get a 2C, get Nuke back, and Lehky's line will be fine.

I wish we could come up with a better nickname than Roaring 20's for that line.

Does anybody under the age of 40 even get that 100 year old reference? Why do I feel like Conor McGahey came up with this?

Reactions: Snow Arc

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Does anybody under the age of 40 even get that 100 year old reference? Why do I feel like Conor McGahey came up with this?
Line names have mostly all but disappeared because they usually sucked. The Avs have really only had three line names of note: AMP, KGB and 9296, I can't really remember any others. As for the league, the classic names are French Connection, the Grind Line, the Legion of Doom, The Punch Line, The Production Line, etc... I think the Roaring 20s fits in.

But yes, I walked the earth with neanderthals in my youth. I unfortunately think it is a Moserism, for which I will always have a little self-loathing for liking something he came up with. Well two things....This and the guts all over the place radio call was one of the funnier calls I've heard regardless of sport.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Line names have mostly all but disappeared because they usually sucked. The Avs have really only had three line names of note: AMP, KGB and 9296, I can't really remember any others. As for the league, the classic names are French Connection, the Grind Line, the Legion of Doom, The Punch Line, The Production Line, etc... I think the Roaring 20s fits in.

But yes, I walked the earth with neanderthals in my youth. I unfortunately think it is a Moserism, for which I will always have a little self-loathing for liking something he came up with. Well two things....This and the guts all over the place radio call was one of the funnier calls I've heard regardless of sport.

Not to pump my own tires, but I've got a decent sense of sniff on my people reading skills.

• Love
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Not to pump my own tires, but I've got a decent sense of sniff on my people reading skills.

You mean Moser didn't come up with that??!! I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!

Seriously though, thank you!!! I was really worried I had found something else by Moser I approved of. It was kind of freaking me out.

Reactions: MaKarter and mack74

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You mean Moser didn't come up with that??!! I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!

Seriously though, thank you!!! I was really worried I had found something else by Moser I approved of. It was kind of freaking me out.

I don't mind Moser personally. I like him more than Haynes or Kelly. I like that he has personality and loves the team. Without McNab, him being with the team so long lets him share stories of the Avs glory years, and provides a good perspective.

I actually think all the Altitude guys are good at what they do, even if they're goofballs, and homers. They make the game more entertaining and that's what you want in a home broadcast.

Keefe is subtly excellent at running the broadcast. He plans out the whole show, but you wouldn't know it, because he's so good at keeping everything light and fun.

Everyone has their own preferences with these things though.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don't mind Moser personally. I like him more than Haynes or Kelly. I like that he has personality and loves the team. Without McNab, him being with the team so long lets him share stories of the Avs glory years, and provides a good perspective.

I actually think all the Altitude guys are good at what they do, even if they're goofballs, and homers. They make the game more entertaining and that's what you want in a home broadcast.

Keefe is subtly excellent at running the broadcast. He plans out the whole show, but you wouldn't know it, because he's so good at keeping everything light and fun.

Everyone has their own preferences with these things though.
Oh I know. And when I watch several games in a row using the other team's feed, I find myself missing the amateurishness of Altitude's broadcast. In some strange way, I almost find it charming. I suppose it's because in the world of ever increasing mergers and concentration of talent it's nice to see something that truly has the feel of a local production.

I actually admire a lot of what Altitude does with its hockey broadcast and I was a big supporter of the move to bring Moser from the radio to TV. I felt the way about Hayes call of the game the way I did about listening to my junior high school sisters and their friends in the next room. His voice was just grating to me. Again, personal tastes I know. Moser's just so 11. If he could learn to do 10 or really stretch and dial down to 9 that would be great. What he doesn't understand is that when everything is IMPOSSIBLE! There really is no place for him to go when something truly beautiful or miraculous occurs... you know because he already said, "GEORGIEV IS PLAYING OUT OF THIS WORLD!" because he stopped a flubbed wrister from the blue line. I actually find the Moser Bingo funny and enjoyed playing along at home last season. I just wish he could turn it down a little and then ramp up for the good stuff.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Snow Arc

Genetically engineered to want to be eaten
Aug 14, 2020

It's common historical knowledge, like 'The Old West' or 'The Great Depression'.

Wait. You were joking. You got me.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Byram/Malinski will be an interesting pairing. If you're willing to use them mainly in offensive situations and keep away from top lines, there is a lot of offense that could be provided there.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Byram/Malinski will be an interesting pairing. If you're willing to use them mainly in offensive situations and keep away from top lines, there is a lot of offense that could be provided there.
Home game is the time to try it since you can dictate a lot of the matchups. Of course you can also do things Torts style and just wait until the shift after the top line for the other team has played to throw them out there every time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad