GDT: WCSF | V | "Engage!" | Oilers @ Canucks | 5.16.24 | 8:00PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That’s the game within a game. Tochett sees the Oilers power play as pretty much an automatic goal against. If he can plant seeds by saying they get too many powerplays to attract attention to it, he’s hoping the refs won’t call as many on his team. Seems like it’s working.
We all knew the road to the cup would be hard, and that we will sink or swim based on our 5 on 5 play.

We will always get some PPs but it won't be enough. As things are now, our special teams advantage is offset with our goaltending disadvantage. It will be that way right until we win the cup, so we need to win the 5 on 5 war

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Oh I understand that. It just doesn't help their reputation of being whiners.
Raging entitlement leads to raging whining, which leads to raging fires in downtown Vancouver.

My brother in law has been with Vancouver police for 30 years, I’m going to ask him if they have riot response plans ready to go :laugh:.

• Haha
Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
No sympathy for Vancouver they had the Sedins for years and did f all. Yeah they never won a cup but they also made the dance year after year after year. I do t ever recall a long extended drought like the Oilers had twice. Buffalo though I do feel for those poor bastards got screwed out of a cup and have been awful since 2006

Personally I think the West Coast Express led team of the early 2000s was as good, maybe better team than the Sedin prime years group. Unfortunately for them their starter was even worse in the playoffs than Skinner has been so far.

Reactions: RegDunlop

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Personally I think the West Coast Express led team of the early 2000s was as good, maybe better team than the Sedin prime years group. Unfortunately for them their starter was even worse in the playoffs than Skinner has been so far.
Dan the man Cloutier lol yes the WCE was very good too. If they had Luongo they probably win one cup. I’m going to shower now I feel dirty lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No sympathy for Vancouver they had the Sedins for years and did f all. Yeah they never won a cup but they also made the dance year after year after year. I do t ever recall a long extended drought like the Oilers had twice. Buffalo though I do feel for those poor bastards got screwed out of a cup and have been awful since 2006
Could even be said that their failings as a franchise, historically is taking the Team sweden forwards as much as they have from Naslund, to Sedins, to Peterssons and over evaluating what they are and how much you have to build a team around them to suppplement the lack in physicality.

All of whom have had relative failings in playoffs.

In the case of the 2011 season it was a pretty wide open year for Nucks to reach the final. Seemed like an off year for most teams in either conference. Kings corrected that just the next season by mopping the Nucks out of the playoffs in the first round. The first place Nucks, lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I know this a transit commuter line. Out to Mission BC. My memory fails me and don't recall it being euphemism for a line.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Dan the man Cloutier lol yes the WCE was very good too. If they had Luongo they probably win one cup. I’m going to shower now I feel dirty lol

Exactly. If that group had Luongo or even any of the goalies Vancouver's had since Luongo, they would have had a few deep runs. Jovanovski, Ohlund and Salo were a good trio to build a blue line around. They still had a productive Trevor Linden and the early years of the Sedin twins who managed to make several 4 liners look good. Cooke was a dick, but an effective dick.

Then they had Dan Cloutier who eventually lost the job to Alex Auld.

Bertuzzi Cooke and Naslund

Morrison was the third in that trio not Cooke. Such an effective line.

Reactions: RegDunlop

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Exactly. If that group had Luongo or even any of the goalies Vancouver's had since Luongo, they would have had a few deep runs. Jovanovski, Ohlund and Salo were a good trio to build a blue line around. They still had a productive Trevor Linden and the early years of the Sedin twins who managed to make several 4 liners look good. Cooke was a dick, but an effective dick.

Then they had Dan Cloutier who eventually lost the job to Alex Auld.

Morrison was the third in that trio not Cooke. Such an effective line.

Right it was Morrison Cooke was just douche who rode along side them after the fact

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Raging entitlement leads to raging whining, which leads to raging fires in downtown Vancouver.

My brother in law has been with Vancouver police for 30 years, I’m going to ask him if they have riot response plans ready to go :laugh:.
You know that they do.

Better question would be to ask if the people who would pull the trigger on those plans if shit goes sideways have the balls to do it in the current “let everyone do anything, be anything society”.

It seems like no one wants to step on toes anymore even if it results in massive property loss, wanton damage and such.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
My hairline has pre-empted this being an area of joking since I was just over 30, lol

No offense to the folliclearly challenged is taken. heh

That line wasn't worthy of having a nickname. jmo

It wasn't Cooke. It was Morrison with Bertuzzi and Naslund, and that line was dominant.

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016
I always compared him to Shea Weber b/c of his shot and blueline control. I never thought the physicality or defense would compare tho. His defensive game is definitely getting there.
I'd say his best comparable is Weber atm. Now if he only added that mean streak, look out
I don’t see him developing into that much of a physical presence. But who knows. He keeps getting better!

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The 2011 Canucks were way better than any of their pre-lockout teams IMO.

Henrik and Daniel were every bit as dominant as Bertuzzi and Naslund and the later era was certainly way way deeper. Much better in goal as well.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
My hairline has pre-empted this being an area of joking since I was just over 30, lol

No offense to the folliclearly challenged is taken. heh

That line wasn't worthy of having a nickname. jmo
Well, I still deleted it anyways. I don’t want one of our own taking it the wrong way

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Could even be said that their failings as a franchise, historically is taking the Team sweden forwards as much as they have from Naslund, to Sedins, to Peterssons and over evaluating what they are and how much you have to build a team around them to suppplement the lack in physicality.

All of whom have had relative failings in playoffs.

In the case of the 2011 season it was a pretty wide open year for Nucks to reach the final. Seemed like an off year for most teams in either conference. Kings corrected that just the next season by mopping the Nucks out of the playoffs in the first round. The first place Nucks, lol

It's kind of funny how no matter what happens over time, a lot of things stay the same.

Oilers and Penguins get the generational players

Bruins usually have the best defence man (or at least one of them)

Canadiens have the ace goalie

Nucks find the softest Swedish player possible as their feature scorer.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Henrik and Daniel were every bit as dominant as Bertuzzi and Naslund and the later era was certainly way way deeper. Much better in goal as well.
Plus Bertuzzi was a straight up moron. Took awhile for it to all shatter but you could see it coming. Was such an odd combination of pacifist and Gorilla on same line.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
There was a time where I dated a girl who was a Canucks fan and so I got to watch a lot of their games and even grew to enjoy watching those guys, until Bertuzzi started taking things too far. By the time Naslund and Morrison faded away I grew to hate the team as they seemed to adopt the Bertuzzi Cooke example moreso than the Naslund/Morrison example (except the Sedin's of course).

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
You know that they do.

Better question would be to ask if the people who would pull the trigger on those plans if shit goes sideways have the balls to do it in the current “let everyone do anything, be anything society”.

It seems like no one wants to step on toes anymore even if it results in massive property loss, wanton damage and such.
Oh I know they do, I just want to rile him up. He’s not a hockey fan but hates Canucks fans because of the shit they pull.

I could see some twathead screaming “I identify as a shit disturber and it’s my right to loot, vandalize and pillage, gawl damnit!” and them saying “Okay”.

Reactions: brentashton

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There was a time where I dated a girl who was a Canucks fan and so I got to watch a lot of their games and even grew to enjoy watching those guys, until Bertuzzi started taking things too far. By the time Naslund and Morrison faded away I grew to hate the team as they seemed to adopt the Bertuzzi Cooke example moreso than the Naslund/Morrison example (except the Sedin's of course).
You don't have to explain. I'm just kidding around.

The Canucks fan didn't work out eh? ;)

Reactions: bone

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Oh I know they do, I just want to rile him up. He’s not a hockey fan but hates Canucks fans because of the shit they pull.

I could see some twathead screaming “I identify as a shit disturber and it’s my right to loot, vandalize and pillage, gawl damnit!” and them saying “Okay”.
Yup. Exactly. And then the city burns.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Of course the 2011 group was light years better in goal. We're talking Dan Cloutier for christ's sake.

For defense, I think the prime Jovonovski/Ohlund/Salo trio was much stronger group than the Hamhuis/Ehrhoff/Edler trio.

For forwards, people tend to forget is that those Betuzzi/Naslund teams also had the Sedin's developing on the 2nd or 3rd line as well and Linden was still a very competent 3rd line centre so the depth was at least comparable 7 or 8 forwards deep.

But enough of this. I feel dirty for this.

You don't have to explain. I'm just kidding around.

The Canucks fan didn't work out eh? ;)
I know you kidding. I just felt dirty supporting anything Canuck related, and felt I had to justify why I know so much about the enemy. And no, she's long gone. Been married to a non-hockey fan for almost 20 years now.

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad