GDT: WCSF | V | "Engage!" | Oilers @ Canucks | 5.16.24 | 8:00PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I would say Ekholm's been the best Dman but Bouchard has certainly played well.
You would be not quite correct. Ekholm has been excellent, Bouchard has been on another planet.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Leon is trending towards being an all-time playoff performer

Reactions: dssource

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We can take Dallas just need to get there. If we make the WCF this year Connor and Leon will drag us to the finals if it kills them

They have been irrelevant for a decade for sure but nothing close to level of the DOD. They have still been competing at least during that time. The Flames are the flames lol
Gonna disagree here. The two saddest panda franchises that still remain in league history are Buffalo and Vancouver. No other franchises have had such a rough ride of it. Zero cups speaks volumes. In the case of either joy has been rare. That these cities still have NHL hockey is of some credit. Other markets would have long left said franchises in the dirt.

Indeed as of Buffalo and Vancouver getting in league I believe all the other expansion franchises have won it all. LA, Philly, STL, PItts and Minnesota North Stars (DAllas) have won cups. Even more recent entries like NYI with 4 of them. Knights to add insult getting one in only 6yrs. Oilers to insult arriving much later and having 5 cups. Even Calgary having won.

Buffalo and Vancouver are the sorriest of expansion teams. Could be why whenever Nucks even look like something the fanbase there gets so hyperbolic about it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ceci is a tough one because personally I don't think there would be any improvement with Broberg (presumably on his off side) or Stecher in his place. I know I'm in the minority on this though.

It's probably worth a look, but it is really hard to say for sure IMO. I would bet that he's on a short leash now though if the G4 performance transfers into G5.
I hear you although sometimes just having a player sit and watch for a game can help sometimes.
That said I get that Knoblauch is loyal to the group of 6 D that got him here.

I would say Ekholm's been the best Dman but Bouchard has certainly played well.
I agree. Bouchard has been really good.
Ekholm is just the rock of this defence. Has been since he arrived.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Please just win. Come home and wrap it up in 6.

I want us to score at least 6 goals and break a game open against this team.

Reactions: subnet

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Gonna disagree here. The two saddest panda franchises that still remain in league history are Buffalo and Vancouver. No other franchises have had such a rough ride of it. Zero cups speaks volumes. In the case of either joy has been rare. That these cities still have NHL hockey is of some credit. Other markets would have long left said franchises in the dirt.

Indeed as of Buffalo and Vancouver getting in league I believe all the other expansion franchises have won it all. LA, Philly, STL, PItts and Minnesota North Stars (DAllas) have won cups. Even more recent entries like NYI with 4 of them. Knights to add insult getting one in only 6yrs. Oilers to insult arriving much later and having 5 cups. Even Calgary having won.

Buffalo and Vancouver are the sorriest of expansion teams. Could be why whenever Nucks even look like something the fanbase there gets so hyperbolic about it.

Every team to have joined the league prior to 1991 has indeed at least one cup except these two franchises. Winnipeg/Phoenix/Utah technically hasn't either but the point trying to be made here is teams that actually stay in the same market. Of course the only other team not to win a cup in the post-expansion era while existing the entire time is Toronto and Toronto along with Utah are the only franchises pre-1991 expansion to not have a cup appearance in the post-expansion era.

However, only 3 out of 11 post-1991 expansion teams have won a cup but 7 have at least had an appearance in a cup final.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You forgot whiney. I swear I have never seen a fan base cry about absolutely every little thing more in any year than Canucks fans have during this series. Reffing suspensions phantom high sticks you name it they whine about it
Oh lord, I laughed while reading Spector's article on how whining was built into the culture of being a Canuck fan. I don't like giving Spector credit, and I think he went overboard on it a bit, but I actually found myself agreeing with him for once. The worst part, is that it has bled over to some of my friends who aren't Canuck fans, but are backing them in this series. It's like it's contagious - if you are cheering for the Canucks, even as a bandwagoner, it feels like you have to whine ad nauseum. Tocchet didn't help with his pre-series whining about officiating, ha ha.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Yep, Yep.

It also goes far that people will past revision Oilers losses to teams always describing that as the best version of those clubs. For instance people will go at length about how great the AV's were in their cup year even though it was mostly the same team this year losing to Dallas.

Conversely Knights were deeper this season than their cup winning season and they lose in first round. This was doable for the Oilers either year, and it is again winning this series. When the Oilers lose its their goaltending and the Oilers hurting themselves.

A great quip here was we have to beat the officiating and both goalies to Win. Well, now we only have to beat the opponent goalie and not have to get by our own..

I think the Oilers could still win series if they lose this game but it would be bad idea to do so and would result in pyrrhic win of series but at expense of next one. Even as it this going 6-7 games isn't good for the Oil.

I do think Dallas would be our hardest playoff test yet. Harder than Vegas last year.
If we somehow made it past the Stars, I'm not sure we could take The Panthers or Rangers in the final. Those teams are also crazy good. Winning a cup is just so ridiculously hard. :(

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Oh lord, I laughed while reading Spector's article on how whining was built into the culture of being a Canuck fan. I don't like giving Spector credit, and I think he went overboard on it a bit, but I actually found myself agreeing with him for once. The worst part, is that it has bled over to some of my friends who aren't Canuck fans, but are backing them in this series. It's like it's contagious - if you are cheering for the Canucks, even as a bandwagoner, it feels like you have to whine ad nauseum. Tocchet didn't help with his pre-series whining about officiating, ha ha.

It was a rare gem for Spector. Just a day or two before he posted it, I can't remember who I was talking to or whether it was here or Twiitter, but I was blown away to see the kid with a white towel standing at centre ice before the anthems.

It's beyond me how a team would tributize as one of their great moments in their history being a coach complaining to the refs in a losing game using a gesture symbolic of surrender.

It's one thing to have a picture of it in the corridors, but a statue and incorporating it into your game day production?

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

Right? It’s like they completely forgot the preferential treatment the got during the Sedin years or something. I say we all just say the same thing they used to you. Don’t blame the refs play better. Or veteran teams get veteran calls

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Please just win. Come home and wrap it up in 6.

I want us to score at least 6 goals and break a game open against this team.
I don't even care if we break one open. I mean, I would love to, to see them crying, but I won't complain if it doesn't happen.

The most annoying thing to me is how they carry themselves. I was at the game the other night. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind when a fan cheers for their team when in the enemy's barn, I think its fair. But there were a couple of Canuck fans who were mocking the Oiler fans even when we were winning. And then when the Nucks scored their first goal, they didn't even cheer. They stood up and mocked everyone behind them. And then were even worse on the tying goal. And then Bouchard scored, and the one guy was nearly crying - head in his hands, hands in his lap, hunched over. Part of me wanted to gloat at that prick right back, but I was too busy enjoying the win.

It was a rare gem for Spector. Just a day or two before he posted it, I can't remember who I was talking to or whether it was here or Twiitter, but I was blown away to see the kid with a white towel standing at centre ice before the anthems.

It's beyond me how a team would tributize as one of their great moments in their history being a coach complaining to the refs in a losing game using a gesture symbolic of surrender.

It's one thing to have a picture of it in the corridors, but a statue and incorporating it into your game day production?
I posted on social about how funny it was that Vancouver was waving the white flag before the season started. You could nearly re-write any old "the surrendering French" stereotype jokes about the Canucks and it would be hilarious because of the white towel business.

If we somehow made it past the Stars, I'm not sure we could take The Panthers or Rangers in the final. Those teams are also crazy good. Winning a cup is just so ridiculously hard. :(
All three of those teams would be hard. Carolina will be hard as well if they get through the Rangers.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Not sure I agree with that... but he's definitely not solid enough defensively (I'm talking tactically not physical skills) to support Bouchard and vice versa... they'd be a terrible pairing.

They tried this year when Ekholm was out and IIRC, it wasn't pretty.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
They tried this year when Ekholm was out and IIRC, it wasn't pretty.

To be fair, it was one game and the entire team looked like shit that game. Their overall numbers together this year are pretty decent, but predictably Bouchard's are better away from him.

1715897206381.png

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

No sympathy for Vancouver they had the Sedins for years and did f all. Yeah they never won a cup but they also made the dance year after year after year. I do t ever recall a long extended drought like the Oilers had twice. Buffalo though I do feel for those poor bastards got screwed out of a cup and have been awful since 2006

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
That’s the game within a game. Tochett sees the Oilers power play as pretty much an automatic goal against. If he can plant seeds by saying they get too many powerplays to attract attention to it, he’s hoping the refs won’t call as many on his team. Seems like it’s working.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That’s the game within a game. Tochett sees the Oilers power play as pretty much an automatic goal against. If he can plant seeds by saying they get too many powerplays to attract attention to it, he’s hoping the refs won’t call as many on his team. Seems like it’s working.
Oh I understand that. It just doesn't help their reputation of being whiners.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I would take the Rangers if it came to that and would far prefer them to the type of hockey it would be but also Panthers love is pretty much overboard. For instance Barkov always being said to be better than Drai, they even used to prop Huberdeau to MVP levels, the the whole revenge of Tkachuk angle. I could do without it. Specifically Panthers would have more Oilers hating and loathing than the Rangers would.

Plus, lets be honest. A SC final shared between Edmonton and NY areas? That is classic.

Reactions: Messrules11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad