GDT: WCSF | V | "Engage!" | Oilers @ Canucks | 5.16.24 | 8:00PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I’m not sure who you pointed out. But I look at Bouch as an Al MacInnis type of Dman. It could be argued that a Scott Neidermayer type, if you want to compare someone from the same era, is more effective. But why would anyone ever complain about drafting and developing an Al MacInnis?
The player I pointed out was Jari Kurri. While Gretzky was an Oiler he was key play driver but much more so a phenomenally talented and important complementary player who still had a key role in many championships.

The quoted post was a follow-up to a previous claim that to be a major factor for the Oilers in the playoffs Bouchard had to be a play driver and not a complementary player to McDavid and/or Draisaitl.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Why single out 1 dman? If anything we should be hoping Desharnais and Ceci can step up. If they get good minutes from them, I don't see us losing.
If singling out 1 Dman, it needs to be Nurse. Need to see some elite level plays from this core player making franchise D man dollars.

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016
The player I pointed out was Jari Kurri. While Gretzky was an Oiler he was key play driver but much more so a phenomenally talented and important complementary player who still had a key role in many championships.

The quoted post was a follow-up to a previous claim that to be a major factor for the Oilers in the playoffs Bouchard had to be a play driver and not a complementary player to McDavid and/or Draisaitl.
That makes sense too. And I ageee. Comparing roles instead of play style. Not directed at you at all, but why do some people have to bitch about what someone isn’t. Especially when what they are is super effective…

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yep, Yep.

It also goes far that people will past revision Oilers losses to teams always describing that as the best version of those clubs. For instance people will go at length about how great the AV's were in their cup year even though it was mostly the same team this year losing to Dallas.

Conversely Knights were deeper this season than their cup winning season and they lose in first round. This was doable for the Oilers either year, and it is again winning this series. When the Oilers lose its their goaltending and the Oilers hurting themselves.

A great quip here was we have to beat the officiating and both goalies to Win. Well, now we only have to beat the opponent goalie and not have to get by our own..

I think the Oilers could still win series if they lose this game but it would be bad idea to do so and would result in pyrrhic win of series but at expense of next one. Even as it this going 6-7 games isn't good for the Oil.

I do think Dallas would be our hardest playoff test yet. Harder than Vegas last year.
Haha. That post Cup Aves team lost their first line heart and soul captain Langeskog and #2 centre Kadri and their #1 goaltender. They were way deeper and better than this year's version. Vegas was an even series. This year's Dallas team has been in build phase like past teams on the brink like Vegas, Colorado and Tampa. Haven't been gutted like championship teams. They'll have to roll out players too but have built a great draft development function to sustain a long competitive window.

It's always been about this Oilers team learning to reduce own mistakes and grow composure to win lower, tight and heavier competed playoff series. They've been able to beat any team in the league on a one-off regular season match. Their need has been to find the final piece of goal suppression and composure to minimize own zone mistakes and grind out low scoring games. More EV scoring is also a critical area both in this series and if/when they grind out a series win against Vancouver.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Man I hope the Oilers take this game,then gm 6, just to shut that fanbase up.

I've never seen a fanbase wine an cry n snivel so much. My YouTube and Facebook feeds are just flooded with their stupid bullshit.
They come out of the woodwork for the playoffs and pretend to be lifelong fans lol. They're bandwagoners unlike the oilers faithful who stayed through the decade of darkness.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
They come out of the woodwork for the playoffs and pretend to be lifelong fans lol. They're bandwagoners unlike the oilers faithful who stayed through the decade of darkness.
I have said it before but I will say it again. Neither the flames or Canucks franchise could survive the DOD. The fans are far too fair weather in both markets. This is why neither team has ever embraced a scorched earth rebuild.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Haha. That post Cup Aves team lost their first line heart and soul captain Langeskog and #2 centre Kadri and their #1 goaltender. They were way deeper and better than this year's version. Vegas was an even series. This year's Dallas team has been build phase like past teams on the brink like Vegas, Colorado and Tampa. Haven't been gutted like championship teams. They'll have to roll out players too but have built a great draft development function to sustain a long competitive window.

It's always been about this Oilers team learning to reduce own mistakes and grow composure to win lower, tight and heavier competed playoff series. They've been able to beat any team in the league on a one-off regular season. Their need has been to find the final piece of goal suppression and composure to minimize own zone mistakes and grind out low scoring games. More EV scoring is also a critical area both in this series and if/when they grind out a series win against Vancouver.
There's been new players as well, and a slightly harder bottomsix and maturity on D pairs. My point being the AV's were not unbeatable and at the time the AV's had Kadri he was a player that was an absolute headcase every other year and so that the AV's were lucky to get his on year. With others like Nik he wasn't exactly an automatic at the time either and has always been a headcase.

Landeskog, maybe I miss recall, has been injured for years and was playing not 100% either that cup winning postseason. I threw that film in the trash. Never revisited that horrid series.

As often occurs what leads the way to a championship is a team coalescing and everybody getting on board and being their best. The Khights too last season were not unbeatable. With even respectable goaltending its a different series.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
IMG_4917.jpeg

Reactions: Mav3rick07

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Nurse isn't good enough to play top pairing minutes anymore.

Not sure I agree with that... but he's definitely not solid enough defensively (I'm talking tactically not physical skills) to support Bouchard and vice versa... they'd be a terrible pairing.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I have said it before but I will say it again. Neither the flames or Canucks franchise could survive the DOD. The fans are far too fair weather in both markets. This is why neither team has ever embraced a scorched earth rebuild.

To be fair Canucks have gone through some pretty prolonged droughts themselves (this is only their 2nd playoff appearance in 9 seasons with a few appearances in the lottery). They just have a big enough market that they can at least tread water through the tough times.

I don't think Calgary could survive 10 years out of playoffs including multiple bottom 5 finishes.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Haha. That post Cup Aves team lost their first line heart and soul captain Langeskog and #2 centre Kadri and their #1 goaltender. They were way deeper and better than this year's version. Vegas was an even series. This year's Dallas team has been in build phase like past teams on the brink like Vegas, Colorado and Tampa. Haven't been gutted like championship teams. They'll have to roll out players too but have built a great draft development function to sustain a long competitive window.

It's always been about this Oilers team learning to reduce own mistakes and grow composure to win lower, tight and heavier competed playoff series. They've been able to beat any team in the league on a one-off regular season match. Their need has been to find the final piece of goal suppression and composure to minimize own zone mistakes and grind out low scoring games. More EV scoring is also a critical area both in this series and if/when they grind out a series win against Vancouver.

Nearly spit out my coffee listening to the DFO podcast this morning. Seravalli "I think the Avalanche are deeper than the 2022 team. Like not close."

Gregor rightfully told him he was completely out to lunch, but what a bizarre statement for someone that should theoretically know what they're talking about. After being told he was a fool I think he kind of just quietly realized it and took the L.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

We can take Dallas just need to get there. If we make the WCF this year Connor and Leon will drag us to the finals if it kills them

To be fair Canucks have gone through some pretty prolonged droughts themselves (this is only their 2nd playoff appearance in 9 seasons with a few appearances in the lottery). They just have a big enough market that they can at least tread water through the tough times.

I don't think Calgary could survive 10 years out of playoffs including multiple bottom 5 finishes.

They have been irrelevant for a decade for sure but nothing close to level of the DOD. They have still been competing at least during that time. The Flames are the flames lol

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
There's been new players as well, and a slightly harder bottomsix and maturity on D pairs. My point being the AV's were not unbeatable and at the time the AV's had Kadri he was a player that was an absolute headcase every other year and so that the AV's were lucky to get his on year. With others like Nik he wasn't exactly an automatic at the time either and has always been a headcase.

Landeskog, maybe I miss recall, has been injured for years and was playing not 100% either that cup winning postseason. I threw that film in the trash. Never revisited that horrid series.

As often occurs what leads the way to a championship is a team coalescing and everybody getting on board and being their best. The Khights too last season were not unbeatable. With even respectable goaltending its a different series.
The Oilers to a man felt they were ultimately overmatched against the Avalanche. That's really the best source in considering the skill and will level of their championship run. The Landeskog loss I don't think they've ever recovered from. The inconsistency of Kadri is irrelevant. He was dialed in all that season and delivered in the playoffs. I get your pro Dallas (and Texas leanings) but the Aves steamrolled that playoff run. Still highly competitive but no where near the quality depth of their one and done year.

Last year's Golden Showers series was winnable and the players felt it was one they lost. Poor coaching, Line 2 getting buried without changing deployment, penalties and own zone mistakes, outscored at EV, and losing the goaltending battle. There's a reason that loss hit harder and more painful. It was a hard lesson about the margins to win or lose. Unlike the year before. It's growth and maturation. Seeing it now this playoff but still need more consistency.

EDIT: A healthy Landeskog had 22 points in 20 playoff games and +15 playing 21:00 toi average.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Nearly spit out my coffee listening to the DFO podcast this morning. Seravalli "I think the Avalanche are deeper than the 2022 team. Like not close."

Gregor rightfully told him he was completely out to lunch, but what a bizarre statement for someone that should theoretically know what they're talking about. After being told he was a fool I think he kind of just quietly realized it and took the L.

He actually said that despite them now losing Nichushkin as well. Defensively they are about the same but more mature with Byram not in the top 4 and Girard playing more games than in 2022. Goaltending, likely a wash. But offensively they are down Nichushkin, Landeskog and Kadri from that cup winning group. The only guys in the conversation with those three are Drouin (it still remains to be seen how much of that is just who he's playing propping him up) and maybe Mittelstadt.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Totally! That was so funny because it's usually Saravalli embarrassing Gregor and HyBOBle with their often bad hot takes. He walked it back pretty quickly haha.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He actually said that despite them now losing Nichushkin as well. Defensively they are about the same but more mature with Byram not in the top 4. Goaltending, likely a wash. But offensively they are down Nichushkin, Landeskog and Kadri from that cup winning group. The only guys in the conversation with those three are Drouin (it still remains to be seen how much of that is just who he's playing propping him up) and maybe Mittelstadt.

That isn't even mentioning Burakovsky or Compher either, the latter of which killed us in the playoffs.

Up front they aren't in the same league as the 2022 team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Heard Vancouver is changing up the lines. Rafferty and Makayev out I think. Not sure who's in.
They will have three new forwards in the lineup tonight as Nils Hoglander and Phil Di Giuseppe are back in and Vasili Podkolsin makes his series debut. Ilya Mikheyev, Sam Lafferty and Linus Karlsson are out. The Canucks will have three new lines as Elias Pettersson moves to right wing alongside Elias Lindholm and Hoglander and Teddy Blueger will centre Dakota Joshua and Conor Garland.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
We can take Dallas just need to get there. If we make the WCF this year Connor and Leon will drag us to the finals if it kills them

They have been irrelevant for a decade for sure but nothing close to level of the DOD. They have still been competing at least during that time. The Flames are the flames lol
Would be a really good series. Have to get to Oettenger who can be hot and cold. Anointed too quickly an elite goaltender. He's still prone to inconsistency. No room for error though in team defending.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
We just need to survive the first period onslaught and get the fans out of the game. You know Vancouver is going to come out strong.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad