GDT: WCSF | V | "Engage!" | Oilers @ Canucks | 5.16.24 | 8:00PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I've said it all along.. up to now, it's almost never been the opposition beating the Oilers. It's the Oilers beating the Oilers. Be dialed in on the details right off the drop, with your passing and puck management, have good active sticks in lanes and be proactively scanning to watch for your defensive covers and boxing your guy out (without taking infractions). If they don't, they will end up down and having to claw back. If they set out to dictate play, right from the start, and take their game to them, they stand a far better chance than sitting back and simply playing reactionary, scrambly hockey.

I feel like this game will determine the winner of the series. Absolute must win, with a full commit and bellies full of competitive fire, or they'll falter and fold.

Reactions: yukoner88 and K1984

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
My personal favourite is them crying for suspensions or drawing ridiculous false equivalencies on plays that are objectively not close to suspendible. Love the "if this were McDavid he'd be suspended for this." Their obsession with who should or shouldn't be suspended is as insane as it is bizarre.

I saw one of them looking for Perry to be suspended for raising his stick up to Boeser's face last game. Not even joking. Had the "if this were literally anyone else did this....." comment as icing on the cake too.
I seen that too. Suspended for what, mockery and taunting? I’m surprised Boeser didn’t flop lips first into Perry’s stick. That was comedy gold on Perry’s part.

Reactions: Porkleaker

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Really getting the grand tour of shitty officiating this series. St. Laurent coming up.

There really aren't a lot of refs left that aren't blatantly shitty.

NHL promotes the veterans through the playoffs regardless of performance, and quite a few of the veteran refs are among the worst in the NHL. The newer crop of referees actually aren't really all that bad, but they'll have to wait for retirements to get the spot in the playoffs they deserve.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've said it all along.. up to now, it's almost never been the opposition beating the Oilers. It's the Oilers beating the Oilers. Be dialed in on the details right off the drop, with your passing and puck management, have good active sticks in lanes and be proactively scanning to watch for your defensive covers and boxing your guy out (without taking infractions). If they don't, they will end up down and having to claw back. If they set out to dictate play, right from the start, and take their game to them, they stand a far better chance than sitting back and simply playing reactionary, scrambly hockey.

I feel like this game will determine the winner of the series. Absolute must win, with a full commit and bellies full of competitive fire, or they'll falter and fold.
Yep, Yep.

It also goes far that people will past revision Oilers losses to teams always describing that as the best version of those clubs. For instance people will go at length about how great the AV's were in their cup year even though it was mostly the same team this year losing to Dallas.

Conversely Knights were deeper this season than their cup winning season and they lose in first round. This was doable for the Oilers either year, and it is again winning this series. When the Oilers lose its their goaltending and the Oilers hurting themselves.

A great quip here was we have to beat the officiating and both goalies to Win. Well, now we only have to beat the opponent goalie and not have to get by our own..

I think the Oilers could still win series if they lose this game but it would be bad idea to do so and would result in pyrrhic win of series but at expense of next one. Even as it this going 6-7 games isn't good for the Oil.

I do think Dallas would be our hardest playoff test yet. Harder than Vegas last year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Oilers need to win tonight

oilers_pickard-png.871014

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If Pickard is in, which he damn well should be, the only concern I have is their inability to protect multi goal leads in the 3rd period. They practically blew a big lead in game 1 against the Kings. The only thing that saved them from LA tying it was the high stick goal that was called back or it would have been 5-5 before Talbot allowed two more goals. LA made it interesting in game 5, but held on. Then there was the game 1 lead and also the game 4 lead they blew but were able to salvage one of those games this series.
In fairness to the Oilers TEAM, the blown leads were largely a goalie meltdown and bad luck. Weak bank goal to make it 4-2, a Miller tip that should have been stopped if Skinner was making himself big although that was mostly a great tip, a Zadorov shot from distance largely unscreened and a Garland goal right through the five-hole in Game 1 (God was Skinner bad in this game now that I think back on it) then the Nurse deflection X 2 on Pickard in Game 4.

I don't think the Oilers played particularly bad with those blown leads, it was a Skinner/bad luck off of Nurse thing.

Reactions: PULSATING

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
we are in a strange world these playoffs. In theory both teams are going with the guys who were their 3rd stingers at the start of the season.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I'd like to see these d pairings going into next season not taking into account for signings

Nurse - Bouchard
Broberg - Ekholm
Tall goon guy - Kulak

Where is Desharnais? Our own tall goon guy... who also happens to have some of the best shot suppression and PK numbers in the LEAGUE!?!

Reactions: capazzo

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016
Bouchard does not need to drive the bus for the team to succeed. This is a complete fallacy that you seem to be unwilling to give up. I gave you an example of a Hall of Fame player who was a central figure in multiple cup wins where he was never a "bus driver". The Oilers have players whose job is to be the lead dogs. Bouchard could be incredibly effective by simply complementing their games. In fact he has already done this multiple times in these playoffs.

In contrast, Quinn Hughes gets tons of praise for "driving the bus". He's been on the ice for 1 5 vs 5 GF in 77 minutes in this series.
I’m not sure who you pointed out. But I look at Bouch as an Al MacInnis type of Dman. It could be argued that a Scott Neidermayer type, if you want to compare someone from the same era, is more effective. But why would anyone ever complain about drafting and developing an Al MacInnis?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Pretty much. Over the recent weeks this is pretty much the experience on Twitter.

Bone: <Insert random comment about the Oilers>
Canucks fan: Oilers suck. Only 2 players. Vancouver has more depth.
Bone: Oilers have 12 players that have scored a goal in the playoffs. Vancouver has 8.
Canucks fan: The league wants McCrybaby to win and calling everything against Vancouver to make sure he wins.
Bone: Vancouver has had more powerplays than Edmonton in this series.
Canucks fan: Oilers suck. Powerplay merchants. Vancouver way better 5 on 5.
Bone: Edmonton has more 5 on 5 goals in the playoffs than Vancouver and Vancouver only has one more than them in this series. Advanced stats are significantly in Edmonton’s direction this series.
Canucks: f*** off. Oilers are a bunch of divers and embellishers and an embarrassment to the league.
Bone: Shows video footage of Canucks players diving in this series.
Canucks fan: Your a moron (the better ones might at least spell you’re correctly here)
Bone: <tries to reply but Canuck fan blocks to make it look like they owned an Oiler fan with their brilliant wit leaving them speechless>
gotta remember, they switched from Heroine to other bad drugs out there

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
One thing I have learned this series, is that most Canuck fans don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to hockey. So. Many. Bandwagon. Fans.

Some are fine of course, but it seems that the vocal ones aren't the ones I care to converse with.

You forgot whiney. I swear I have never seen a fan base cry about absolutely every little thing more in any year than Canucks fans have during this series. Reffing suspensions phantom high sticks you name it they whine about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad