GDT: WCSF GM05 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Thur. May 16th | 7pm PST | SNP/CBC | So Tight, Almost Like a Playoff Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I can kind of get it if Petey has COVID or is recovering from it. He doesn't really sound healthy in that presser. And I hadn't really thought about that before seeing the video.
I was wondering the same regarding COVID. Recovery times can vary, it can linger.

Petey at his worst would out produce his current rate several fold.

Reactions: Indiana

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Okay - my wild guess for lineup changes tomorrow (not what I want per se, but what I think will occur) -

Hoglander in for Karlsson
PDG in for Aman
Bains in for Lafferty
Soucy in for Juulsen

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Lindholm - Garland
Bains - Pettersson - Hoglander
PDG - Blueger - Mikheyev

Hughes - Hronek
Myers - Soucy
Cole - Zadorov

I think Tocchet resists the urge to sit Cole. And I think he debates long and hard over whether to insert Bains or Podkolzin.

Just my opinion.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Hmmm Myers is a stand out guy. Sure we’ve made the casual joke here and there but yeah, all the best for his kid.

He’s had a really good playoffs

I've sad it before. The only major gaff with Myers is his salary. I think most of us could tolerate his "chaos giraffe" phases a whole lot more than he made Cole money. He just isn't a 6M player and never should have been offered that contract.

Reactions: M2Beezy and Indiana

DiggerDan

Jul 22, 2003
Canada
hfboards.com
Okay - my wild guess for lineup changes tomorrow (not what I want per se, but what I think will occur) -

Hoglander in for Karlsson
PDG in for Aman
Bains in for Lafferty
Soucy in for Juulsen

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Lindholm - Garland
Bains - Pettersson - Hoglander
PDG - Blueger - Mikheyev

Hughes - Hronek
Myers - Soucy
Cole - Zadorov

I think Tocchet resists the urge to sit Cole. And I think he debates long and hard over whether to insert Bains or Podkolzin.

Just my opinion.

I'd like to see:

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Petterson - Lindholm - Hoglander
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
PDG - Lafferty - Mikheyev

Hughes - Hronek
Myers - Soucy
Cole - Zadorov

I think it's taking more of a risk defensively (splitting up Lindholm/Joshua in particular), but we need the depth scoring and to get Petey going.

Reactions: David71

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Would it be fair to say that Zads has passed Hronek on the extension priority list?
In my books 100% yes. Zadorov is a game changer especially in the playoffs. Hronek has done nothing since a hot streak with Hughes at the beginning of the season, and seemed to of disappeared in the playoffs.

I'd offer Hronek a contract, but only after Zadorov and Joshua.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
In my books 100% yes. Zadorov is a game changer especially in the playoffs. Hronek has done nothing since a hot streak with Hughes at the beginning of the season, and seemed to of disappeared in the playoffs.

It's gotta come out that he's playing under some sort of injury for me to even consider it.

We can't have overpaid passengers on the team, because as of now we already have Petey at what? 11.8?

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
Saw a few games of Lekkerimaki in the AHL. The guy is just adjusting to North American ice and you literally worry he will get absolutely crushed while trying to skate up the ice with his head down.

We have seen enough of Bains to know he's simply not ready and has work to do in the off-season.

Maybe try Raty. He is rather slow but you see some tantalizing skill in tight quarters.
I would move Petey to the wing with Raty at Center. Put Pods on the other wing. Free Petey up.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

Plus the simple fact that we can trade Hronek for value is why we sign Zadorov first.

Reactions: Jovofan and nucks88

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
IIRC Myer's kid has a health issue and the best care for him in North America is in BC. You never want to hear something like that about a persons child but I can see it keeping him here at a low AAV.
BC healthcare ?! What is this healthcare thing you are referring to

TSN released this video on it in 2017; I've also heard Dhali talk about the care system in BC being the top of the line in NA for his specific needs.

For reals though, I think the thing BC is really known for is heart related. Hopefully that is not something they have to go through.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Id try to get pettersson going as a winger

Boeser miller suter
Garland blueger Joshua
Podz lindholm pettersson
Mikeheyev Aman hoglander

Switch blueger and lindholm if needed to deal with drai

Hughes hronek
Soucy myers
Zadorov cole

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
1715827954950.png

• Wow
Reactions: Tact

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think the Canucks should do with Pettersson what the Oilers have done with Skinner.....keep him well away from the media until things are going better.

He spoke to the media the next day after the loss.

AD16

Aug 6, 2020
I said it before game 6 of the last series and I’ll say it again. This game will likely look like every other game in the series and like every other game the Canucks have played thus far in the playoffs. It will likely be a close game decided by one goal. The Canucks will struggle to generate offence and shots. At times it will look like we are getting absolutely caved in by the Oilers. it’s incredible that the Canucks have not had one decisive win or decisive loss thus far in the playoffs. They have an incredible penchant to stick around in games, but also the inability to separate themselves from other teams. It makes every game gut wrenching. While I hope for a less stressful viewing experience and for the Canucks to come out and do the things that we all know they are capable of, I suspect this game will play out similarly to the previous games. This is just who we are. Have to hope for another close win where a bounce or two goes our way to come away with the W. The only caveat in this series is that Edmonton has the quick strike ability that Nashville didn’t possess and at any moment can break a game wide open.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It occurs to me that for most of the Canucks acquired or drafted after 2016, this is there first exposure to the Cup playoffs in a market like Vancouver.

I know they made the playoffs as a bubble team in 2019, but those games took place in an empty building far removed from the Lower Mainland.

It's one thing playing regular season games in this market, but it gets ramped up to a whole new level in the playoffs. So managing all the frenzied outside noise, is critical to keeping a stable mind and body moving forward.

That why it's so much easier in a U.S. market. When somebody has a bad game or two, hardly anyone notices. The constant harping by the fans and the media is just the price of playing in Canada.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Hronek is playing with wrist injury and is clearly struggling with it and looks like Luca Sbisa with the puck on his stick, and it's just as big a mistake to think that this is the 'real' Hronek as it is to think that that the PPG Hronek from the first 25-30 games is the 'real' Hronek.

Makes his contract a real pickle to solve. If they have 3+ guys at moving the puck well from the backend, we're in good business. The issue is this playoffs its really been 1 (Hughes), which amplifies the pressure on him, and makes it a helluva lot easier to target him with hits.

I have faith in the boys to bring it tomorrow. Hard effort where everyone shows a good motor is all I can really ask for at this point - the rest will take care of itself.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I said it before game 6 of the last series and I’ll say it again. This game will likely look like every other game in the series and like every other game the Canucks have played thus far in the playoffs. It will likely be a close game decided by one goal. The Canucks will struggle to generate offence and shots. At times it will look like we are getting absolutely caved in by the Oilers. it’s incredible that the Canucks have not had one decisive win or decisive loss thus far in the playoffs. They have an incredible penchant to stick around in games, but also the inability to separate themselves from other teams. It makes every game gut wrenching. While I hope for a less stressful viewing experience and for the Canucks to come out and do the things that we all know they are capable of, I suspect this game will play out similarly to the previous games. This is just who we are. Have to hope for another close win where a bounce or two goes our way to come away with the W. The only caveat in this series is that Edmonton has the quick strike ability that Nashville didn’t possess and at any moment can break a game wide open.

Agree. To me it’s Demko being out that completely changes how we play and Pettersson being ineffective that means we’re will be more conservative than run and gun.

Reactions: AD16

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If Tocchet doesn't re-unite Joshua-Blueger-Garland, and he doesn't put Pettersson on the wing with Lindholm, then he has to give Pettersson both Hoglander and Podkolzin. Hoglander just to give it another shot, and Podkolzin as a wild card that can just forecheck for the puck.

It might hurt them defensively to do this, but you need to risk something right now to get Pettersson going.

Mikheyev can play with Blueger and Aman/Lafferty. This is assuming PDG doesn't play, but if he does, drop Lafferty and go with PDG-Blueger-Mikheyev on the 4th line:

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
Hoglander-Pettersson-Podkolzin
PDG-Blueger-Mikheyev

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Apparently the Canucks special teams went up against Sedins, Gonchar etc in practice last week.

I would like to see EP40, Hogs, Mikeyev etc go against some of the black aces in some fairly intense drills.

Get both sides fired up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad