GDT: WCSF GM05 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Thur. May 16th | 7pm PST | SNP/CBC | So Tight, Almost Like a Playoff Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
It's something of a miracle that the series is even tied with Pettersson playing like this.
Said it the other night, the Canucks had a chance to be one game away from the Conference finals without their Vezina-caliber goalie and their star center playing like he's Linden Vey. It really goes to show how high this team's ceiling can be when everything is clicking. Even outside of last night, Hughes has underperformed based on his standards

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
He was excellent in the 2020 playoffs,all we can hope is that he can revert himself back into the alien.
I don't think anyone should assume Pettersson has playoff woes. His struggles started long before the playoffs, and it's something that has carried over. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to find his form; it's been months. He's looking like a guy who needs a full off-season reset

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You can see that Tocchet is becoming increasingly agitated and frustrated behind the bench. Because if there's one coach who knows what it takes in the Cup playoffs to have any hope of going all the way, it's Tocchet. And clearly he's not seeing what he needs to see.

He knows the Canucks won't advance unless they find another level of play in their game--and he knows that for the most part in these playoffs, his team hasn't reached it.

Can't blame him.....against all odds, they're tied with the Oilers despite playing a rookie goaltender night after night, who's basically standing on his head. But what he needs is another 10-15 percent from almost every guy up and down the lineup. Otherwise, it's just another wasted opportunity.

It's too bad they hadn't shelved Pettersson's contract talks until the summer. They'd have a different perspective of this player as the centerpiece of their team, moving forward.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Doesn't matter. Hronek won't be worth what hes asking for. I have seen enough of him. He's been carried by Hughes all season.

Target a better D in Tanev.
Early in the year Hronek was great. Made a lot of deft plays and actually hit the net on shots etc. He's fallen off. He absolutely wasn't this bad in the first half of the year. I wouldn't say he's been carried and was never valuable.

He's just not worth jack now that he's become who he is now at the worst possible time.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Early in the year Hronek was great. Made a lot of deft plays and actually hit the net on shots etc. He's fallen off. He absolutely wasn't this bad in the first half of the year. I wouldn't say he's been carried and was never valuable.

He's just not worth jack now that he's become who he is now at the worst possible time.
He was valuable and looked like a promising player for the first twenty games. We can safely admit he definitely got carried by Huhes at the latter half of the season at the very least.

Right now he's not the biggest priority to resign anymore.

Reactions: Indiana

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

That Miller fly by in the last minute, giving Edmonton the game, was absolutely horrific. I hope he is sorry. I was really looking forward to a good OT period or two.

What an awful play. Looked over at my dad and said, "it's' over" right when he did it.

beckstreaker07

Jul 2, 2009
He was valuable and looked like a promising player for the first twenty games. We can safely admit he definitely got carried by Highes at the latter half of the season at the very least.

Right now he's not the biggest priority to resign anymore.
Hughes wasn't a Norris level D with any previous partner; I don't think we should under estimate what he has provided the pairing otherwise we would have seen changes throughout the year to the pairing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hronek is playing with wrist injury and is clearly struggling with it and looks like Luca Sbisa with the puck on his stick, and it's just as big a mistake to think that this is the 'real' Hronek as it is to think that that the PPG Hronek from the first 25-30 games is the 'real' Hronek.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Hughes wasn't a Norris level D with any previous partner; I don't think we should under estimate what he has provided the pairing otherwise we would have seen changes throughout the year to the pairing.
Because Hughes has improved as a player compared to his previous years. His shot used to be his liability and now it's a strength. Hughes paired with Tanev this season would easily be Norris calibre.

If we got the Hronek from the first 20-30 games performing in the post season, you can best believe I'd be up to resigning him. It hasn't happened and he's been terrible.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Hronek is clearly injured, somewhat significantly. He can't take contact, shoot, or stickhandle. Likely upper body injury, perhaps arm/wrist or shoulder.

The opinion pendulum on him has swung way too far against him now. People loved him when he got points. Now they hate him.

My position on him is the same as when the trade happened. He is what he is. And always has been: A top-four defenseman with some defensive deficiencies. He was never going to be our Devon Toews. But he can play great with Hughes when he's on. But he's physically limited right now. It's the playoffs. Guys get hurt.

On re-signing, again, my position was always that it depended on the number Walsh wants. We'll see if a there's a fair price. If he can help them get past the Oilers, his price will go up.

Hronek is playing with wrist injury and is clearly struggling with it and looks like Luca Sbisa with the puck on his stick, and it's just as big a mistake to think that this is the 'real' Hronek as it is to think that that the PPG Hronek from the first 25-30 games is the 'real' Hronek.
Yep. He's injured. He didn't forget how to use a stick.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Regardless, he's no longer the biggest priority to resign. We go after Zadorov first.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That Miller fly by in the last minute, giving Edmonton the game, was absolutely horrific. I hope he is sorry. I was really looking forward to a good OT period or two.

What an awful play. Looked over at my dad and said, "it's' over" right when he did it.
Miller's been a horse for them, but the flyby was an inexcusable play.

Easily and it's not even close.

Hronek's performance was summed up with the third goal against last night.
The 3rd goal was almost entirely JT's fault. He knows that.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Miller's been a horse for them, but the flyby was an inexcusable play.

The 3rd goal was almost entirely JT's fault. He knows that.
Hronek didn't exactly help in protecting himself nor boxing out the guy in front. Point is he's been dreadful from the start.

It sucks that he's playing injured. I wanted to see what a healthy Hronek would look like in the post season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ace of Hades said:
Hronek's performance was summed up with the third goal against last night.

Hronek did nothing wrong on that goal. He took a hit to make a play, the puck went to his defense partner and we should have been in good position ... and then lots of other things went wrong. Draisaitl also made a crazy-good play to pick a clearance out of mid-air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad