OT: Video Game Talk (oh, also the Week before the All-Star Break Pre-Game Talk "archive")

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
2.4M for open source developers is a ton though. Insanity
The point was to be punitive enough for them to stop. This is a very grey area of the law... where the emulator itself is legal, but the methods to build it likely infringe upon Nintendo's IP heavily. Meaning that the end results of Yuzu was likely legal... but to get to that point, a bunch of illegal actions had to take place. The settlement probably helps the long-term viability of emulators as there is no legal precedent really made here.

It'll be interesting to see the fallout of this and how it applies moving forward. Nintendo (and all game companies) are getting increasingly protective of their previous IP. Likely to sell us Skyrim 55 times.

Reactions: missionAvs

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I'm somewhat more sad about Citra being shut down, I barely got Switch games I wanted to play on Steam Deck to run well.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Anyone excited for Dragon’s Dogma II? It looks like a blast a just like the first.
I definitely plan on playing it at some point. Right now I have a huge backlog of games.

NPCs dying and needing to be resurrected at their graves within a certain time, or be lost forever sounds interesting.

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
IMG_1219.jpeg

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am with @UncleRisto on the Emulation discussion, like I understand that it isn't illegal, but the entire aspect is on the foundation of hacking your Switch in ways that Nintendo never really intended for it to be used. That is the reason why they sued and that is the reason why they won. This shouldn't be "shocking" to anyone, Nintendo probably cares because it is the Switch and could lead to potential pirating of their games and platforms, if we're talking about Pokemon Diamond or Metroid for SNES, I don't think Nintendo cares enough.

With that said, gaming companies are as corrupt as these emulations. Just look at EA and their microtransactions.

Reactions: UncleRisto

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It's a pre-order, locked until release.

Lol, pre-ordered games I had twenty years ago on PS2. This is my life now.
I'd be interested in how it holds up. I'm still working through my backlog. In the middle of Cyberpunk now and have the entire Dragon's Age series on-deck but after that I'm all caught up and will be looking for new or even new-old content like Star Wars.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I know. With one of my earliest games, Crash Team Racing, I've been like "I remember playing this like 15 years ago... Well, actually 20 years ago, too... and... 25 years ago?"

@expatriatedtexan obviously played Pong in 1976, though, so we're good. :sarcasm:
Yep. Me and the wife also went out during the Covid years and bought both the mini Artari Classic and Nintendo NES that came loaded with about hundred games a piece. We still have parties and introduce folks to Combat! and turn it into a drinking game.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Crossposting this here to laugh at Risto

I almost, almost considered buying this. I never buy games at launch and I definitely never buy digital games at full price.

My favourite part is unquestionably the size - 62.87GB for this on Steam. For two PS2 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad