Valeri Nichushkin placed in NHLPA assistance program stage 3 - suspended without pay for min. 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
The amount that Clapton has raised for UNICEF, Amnesty, Bangladesh, drug and alcohol treatment is astounding. Tens of millions.

Not to mention starting a Drug and Alcohol treatment center where 20% of the beds are reserved for low income patients.

I don't like his Covid stance, but you can't just cancel the decades of charity and compassion towards othes.
I don't do "cancel", that's for kids. All I know is Joe Walsh never put me to sleep at a concert like Clapton sometime in the late 70's during one of his country (or Dylan-esque or whatever he was attempting) phases did.

If you lost consciousness at a concert where Joe Walsh was involved it wasn't from boredom. You got your full $8.50's worth.

• Haha
Reactions: Sadekuuro

Strangle

May 4, 2009
No offense, but your posts here repeatedly sound like you haven't taken a biology class in your life.

Pretty much none of the "addicts and ex addicts" it seems like you're trying to save, are absolving themselves of responsibility.

What they are saying (and your posts are very confidently repeatedly ignoring) is that some humans have a stronger predisposition to addiction. This is not up for debate, even if it is debated whether this is a "disease" or not. Some humans have stronger responses to dopamine stimuli. To answer your question, before cocaine, these people were daredevils, obsessive with certain types of behavior, or had a lot of sex. And today they still exist, even when they never try coke or booze or opiates.

You can be addicted to playing hockey or working out, for God's sake. Earlier in your thread you said "if you ever do something one day and like it so much you want to do it the next day, you should realize it's addictive." You mean like hockey, or sex, or posting on a message board?

People who get to an unhealthy place with any substance or activity get there because of behavior and choice, but they also can get there because their brain is more prone to finding and seeking such behaviors. Not everyone receives the same dopamine or serotonin response to the exact same behavior (or substance). It is both a choice with personal responsibility, and a vulnerability the existence of which they have little control over.

To keep it on topic, I also have little sympathy for Nuke. He has more resources than 99.99% of people dealing with this issue. I have empathy, and I'm sure it sucks for him, but he did make his choices.

But if you don't like others saying "it's a disease", surely (probably not) you can understand that others and biology disagree with your stance that everyone has the same ability to choose not to be addicted to things.

Having read all these exchanges, I have little faith that this will lead to any constructive dialogue so I'll just say best of luck to you.

No offense taken

It’s not offensive to disagree

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I’m intimately familiar with addiction and understand it can impact anyone, but I’m having a massively hard time having any sympathy for Nuke. You have all of the support and resources in the world. My brother did not. The people I’ve lost didn’t. The people who overcame and are living sober lives didn’t. And to this day, live a life 1/20th as blessed. I have empathy - I understand addiction and how no one is immune. I don’t have sympathy. Sorry. Nuke’s a f***ing loser now.

I've dealt with very similar situations in my family. Drug addictions, as I'm sure you know, can be highly dependent on brain disorders.

I think without knowing what's going on, it's hard to make an assumption either way.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
No offense taken

It’s not offensive to disagree

He's not disagreeing with you, he's pointing out to everyone else that you're wrong.

Diseases generally are acquired. Like addiction. Addiction could therefore be called a disease.

Like diseases, people have predispositions to addiction. This does not not absolve them of responsibility, but, as a society, it is harmful to reject it as fact, from the perspective of treatment and prevention.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I don't do "cancel", that's for kids. All I know is Joe Walsh never put me to sleep at a concert like Clapton sometime in the late 70's during one of his country (or Dylan-esque or whatever he was attempting) phases did.

If you lost consciousness at a concert where Joe Walsh was involved it wasn't from boredom. You got your full $8.50's worth.

Lots of old crappy Clapton stories from back then, but there are plenty of stories of Walsh being too drunk to talk in the 70's and 80's

" I think the drunkest big-time performer I've seen was Joe Walsh playing at Great America in Santa Clara. I was in the second row. He was so plastered that Rick Rosas had to take control. "

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Isn't marijuana considered a PED?
It’s a while since I looked at the banned list but no it’s not. It used to be restricted due to local laws as it varies country to country. Obviously it now gets cut with other substances which may well be on the banned list, but as far as I understand it’s not banned. If you’ve tried dope you’d know there is nothing performance enhancing about it…. Allegedly :naughty:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It’s a while since I looked at the banned list but no it’s not. It used to be restricted due to local laws as it varies country to country. Obviously it now gets cut with other substances which may well be on the banned list, but as far as I understand it’s not banned. If you’ve tried dope you’d know there is nothing performance enhancing about it…. Allegedly :naughty:
Brother I've done coke. Nobody that's abusing cocaine over a three hour period has an advantage over a team that isn't.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Lots of old crappy Clapton stories from back then, but there are plenty of stories of Walsh being too drunk to talk in the 70's and 80's

" I think the drunkest big-time performer I've seen was Joe Walsh playing at Great America in Santa Clara. I was in the second row. He was so plastered that Rick Rosas had to take control. "
No doubt JW took the stage drunk and/or high. He probably can't even remember the number of concerts he doesn't remember. But he was never boring from what I can remember.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

I saw the Beach Boys dozens of times. Denny Wilson was in that league

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hence why I bring up Grant Fuhr. The guy is in the Hockey Hall of Fame even though he admitted he was routinely coked up while he played.

People want Nichushkin banned from hockey for substance abuse but don't seem to have a problem with Grant Fuhr in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Its very hypocritical.

Nichushkin needs help and needs to get sober but still should have the right to play hockey.

A lot of those dynasty players did coke, when Fuhr got arrested the story was he took the fall for some more prominent members of the team.

Anyone saying Nuke should be banned from hockey should give their head a shake. The guy messed up multiple times, there's no denying that. But to boot him from the league because of that? Ridiculous. We've had murderers play in this league FFS.

Dude find a new angle. You've made the same post like 20 times.

We get it. Fuhr did a lot of coke.

OP must've been Fuhrs dealer back in the day :sarcasm:

Strangle

May 4, 2009
He's not disagreeing with you, he's pointing out to everyone else that you're wrong.

Diseases generally are acquired. Like addiction. Addiction could therefore be called a disease.

Like diseases, people have predispositions to addiction. This does not not absolve them of responsibility, but, as a society, it is harmful to reject it as fact, from the perspective of treatment and prevention.

Lmao

Sorry, no. That’s not true

I’m pretty sure the only reason this ‘addiction is a disease’ bull came to the front is to remove stigma surrounding addiction.

But I get it, you guys have just been hearing it so much that you’re blindly believing it. It’s fine, but you’re just very wrong

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Lmao

Sorry, no. That’s not true

I’m pretty sure the only reason this ‘addiction is a disease’ bull came to the front is to remove stigma surrounding addiction.

But I get it, you guys have just been hearing it so much that you’re blindly believing it. It’s fine, but you’re just very wrong
Brother I'm living it. You don't and can't get it.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Brother I'm living it. You don't and can't get it.

I just ignored the guy. Dunning Kruger incarnate. The ratio of confidence to knowledge OR experience in those posts is approaching infinity.
neither of these make you an expert, just like this post doesn't make me one. @Strangle has the same right to their opinion that you do.

hell, even experts argue about this topic.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
neither of these make you an expert, just like this post doesn't make me one. @Strangle has the same right to their opinion that you do.

hell, even experts argue about this topic.

People can get real sensitive when their beliefs are challenged

And you’re right, this is debated at the neuroscience level.

Science is certainly not settled on this topic.

The problem with being ‘ahead of the curve’ on stuff like this is that by the time the popular opinion on this has changed the people arguing it will then just switch to believing the new popular opinion on it.

Don’t get me started on shit like the Big Bang, which I’ve thought and argued sounded like absolute bullshit since the early 90’s.

Only took about 30+ years for the conversation to seriously catch up to questioning it. Talk to someone 30 years from now and they’ll probably laugh at the bullshit we believe now.

I bet the guys who thought lobotomies were a bad idea were laughed at at some point too.

What are ya gonna do? lol

People think in the here and now, and limit their knowledge to what they are told, without any concept of thinking critically about the information, or seeking out discussion that challenges their beliefs.

This topic is pretty simple, but it’s obvious that even something as benign as this riles up so many extreme emotions

We just can’t talk to each other about anything anymore, if we disagree

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Apr 9, 2009
USA
People can get real sensitive when their beliefs are challenged

And you’re right, this is debated at the neuroscience level.

Science is certainly not settled on this topic.

The problem with being ‘ahead of the curve’ on stuff like this is that by the time the popular opinion on this has changed the people arguing it will then just switch to believing the new popular opinion on it.

Don’t get me started on shit like the Big Bang, which I’ve thought and argued sounded like absolute bullshit since the early 90’s.

Only took about 30+ years for the conversation to seriously catch up to questioning it. Talk to someone 30 years from now and they’ll probably laugh at the bullshit we believe now.

I bet the guys who thought lobotomies were a bad idea were laughed at at some point too.

What are ya gonna do? lol

People think in the here and now, and limit their knowledge to what they are told, without any concept of thinking critically about the information, or seeking out discussion that challenges their beliefs.

This topic is pretty simple, but it’s obvious that even something as benign as this riles up so many extreme emotions

We just can’t talk to each other about anything anymore, if we disagree

I'd like you to elaborate on the scientific research you've done about the Big Bang. Please show us evidence of it being bullshit.

You're lecturing others who simply disagree with you into a category of non-critical thinkers and have given absolutely nothing to back it up (I didn't read the whole thread, so if you did, my apologies). And you end the post with "we just can't talk to each other about anything more, if we disagree'

Yeah because you are so dismissive of everyone who disagrees. Nobody really wants to deal with that kind of bullshit. Show us the evidence of what you're saying instead of just bitching about everyone else.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I'd like you to elaborate on the scientific research you've done about the Big Bang. Please show us evidence of it being bullshit.

You're lecturing others who simply disagree with you into a category of non-critical thinkers and have given absolutely nothing to back it up (I didn't read the whole thread, so if you did, my apologies). And you end the post with "we just can't talk to each other about anything more, if we disagree'

Yeah because you are so dismissive of everyone who disagrees. Nobody really wants to deal with that kind of bullshit. Show us the evidence of what you're saying instead of just bitching about everyone else.

I think you’re missing the point here

Have you never had a counter thought to something that was popular opinion?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
How off topic does this thread have to get?

Some people have bad experiences with individuals who have dealt with substance abuse.

Some people who have fell into substance abuse are strong minded individuals who were able to get themselves straight.

Some people who fall into substance abuse never is able to get out.

Don't judge a person for their weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad