Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021

Not sure if anyone has seen these but these are shift-by-shifts of 4 games of Boucher while he was at BU. I`m not joking I thought he was the best player on the ice each time he went out on a shift, there is no way you can come out of watching these not thinking he has high IQ, skill, vision and compete.

It runs about an hour and I don`t want to waste your time, you won`t see anything dazzling but you will absolutely see the kid can play, the best way I can describe it is he`s a very natural born hockey player (almost like his dad was a long-time NHLer...).

I feel why he didn`t put up much points in the OHL is that I actually feel his game is better suited for college, it's faster pace where he thrives and he has better teammates. The OHL game is a lot slower and it almost feels like he was tripped out by how much time he has compared to before, and his teammates aren't nearly as capable; a 2nd liner in the OHL is vastly inferior to a 2nd liner in the NCAA.

This kid has very, very good upside I actually think when it's all said and done the 10OA will be warranted. He would've been a consensus top 15 pick had he been healthy all year (he was PPG while providing physicality) so getting picked at 10 wouldn't really be a reach; hell even Tom Wilson was drafted 16OA in 2012.

Reactions: aragorn

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This kid has very, very good upside

Appreciate your work in this thread and I think everyone wants you to be right but how good can his upside be? Jack Eichel had 71 pts in 40 GP in his draft year. Tyler Boucher had 3 pts in 17 GP in his D+1 year...

He needs to rebound in a major way this season to still be considered a first round prospect

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
he has to start putting up numbers before I get on board. Right now he is trending to be a 4th liner just cause he was a high pick

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
he has to start putting up numbers before I get on board. Right now he is trending to be a 4th liner just cause he was a high pick
Best just to pretend he is not a prospect and then reevaluate after a full season on 1 team

Reactions: HSF

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
You're only looking at numbers without watching him play, he has top 6 skill, I'm not married to Boucher as a prospect I'm just viewing things objectively.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You're only looking at numbers without watching him play, he has top 6 skill, I'm not married to Boucher as a prospect I'm just viewing things objectively.
at a certain point you have to put up points. We are past that point so its understandable as to why people think he is not very good

Reactions: Cosmix

kellmuff96

Sep 13, 2010
Having read some reports from Dev Camp, he's got the tools. I truly do believe that going NCAA wasnt the right option for him and he struggled to adapt to that game against men.

Will wait to see how he does with a full year in the OHL before commenting. Some guys just take a little longer.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

If he is playing very well, there must be a reason he is not putting up points. Is it poor shooting?

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
If he is playing very well, there must be a reason he is not putting up points. Is it poor shooting?
The only thing Boucher wasn't doing in those videos linked above was getting high danger scoring chances, not sure if that was just bad luck, his teammates not finding him or just his own inability to get there on time.

At the OHL level, it seemed that he had too much time compared to before and it was tough to recalibrate. Obviously this year will be telling on what his upside is but again, if you watch the videos above he clearly has skill and IQ, he's not some Tyler Biggs meathead.

at a certain point you have to put up points. We are past that point so its understandable as to why people think he is not very good
To use that argument, Stutzle had like 6 points in the first 20 games this year while being the best player on the ice every game, does that small sample size mean he's not good. Boucher has barely played any hockey in 2 years and had a very unconventional season, the skill and IQ is absolutely there and long-term that will lead to sustainable production. Again we'll have to see but I easily see top 6 upside in Boucher it will just take a couple years.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think living with & training with Sanderson & especially Greig will really help Boucher. He looks really good with Greig at camp so far & I expect these two could be future line mates.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think living with & training with Sanderson & especially Greig will really help Boucher. He looks really good with Greig at camp so far & I expect these two could be future line mates.
Dude, Boucher, Grieg, Ostapchuk is looking like it could be a sick line, but over the next few years they would be our 4th line?!? What a crazy group of forwards we have, and have coming right now…

It feels like Watty, Kelly, and Kastelic are in borrowed time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad